Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shooting interiors, schneider 28pc or new canon24ts ver2? and all that jazz  (Read 2244 times)

stacibeth

Hi guys,
I have been shooting architecture and interiors for awhile. I am currently shooting with the Canon 1ds mark 3 and I mainly use my schneider 28mm PC lens. However, I am sending my schneider off for service and will be renting the canon24 TS- version2 (I have the first version which is crap) I've heard the new version is far better and super sharp.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with both of these lenses and know which is sharper/better the new canon or the schneider? Also, I am wondering if I should invest in a prime, maybe 35mm or 50mm, ? Sometimes the 24 is just too wide, like when I am shooting a bedroom and it just stretches out the bed and it looks 12feet long, I need a lens with no barrel distortion that can compress the foreground like a telephoto, but still be wide...thoughts?

Also, I havent upgraded my camera in awhile and think maybe its time, but I am at a loss of what to upgrade to. I hear the canon 1dx is full of problems. And is the 5d mark 3 really an upgrade? or more of a sidestep? Thoughts, comments greatly appreciated!

jrsforums

Per Roger Cicala, the canon 24-70 II is sharper than the 24 TSE
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/09/canon-24-70-f2-8-ii-resolution-tests

...but you probably need TS.

I cannot compare to the 1ds3, but the 5d3 is a great camera.

John
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 02:58:22 pm by jrsforums »
John

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com

The 5D3 would be an upgrade in all sorts of ways, and the major loss -- build quality and weatherproofing -- is not so serious for an architectural photographer, I think. I like the 1Dx, myself, but don't see it as a primarily architecture camera.

Not sure what to tell you about lenses. I own the original 24t/s and agree with your assessment. I've borrowed the mark II from CPS and it's terrific. Never used the Schneider. The 24-70 mark II is quite good and would give you a good range of focal lengths. You might rent one of the Sigma 12-24 full frame lenses and see if it meets your quality requirements -- I have the original version and it's very good with the Lightroom lens corrections. Needs to be well stopped down, of course.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

jrsforums

The 5D3 would be an upgrade in all sorts of ways, and the major loss -- build quality and weatherproofing -- is not so serious for an architectural photographer, I think. I like the 1Dx, myself, but don't see it as a primarily architecture camera.

Not sure what to tell you about lenses. I own the original 24t/s and agree with your assessment. I've borrowed the mark II from CPS and it's terrific. Never used the Schneider. The 24-70 mark II is quite good and would give you a good range of focal lengths. You might rent one of the Sigma 12-24 full frame lenses and see if it meets your quality requirements -- I have the original version and it's very good with the Lightroom lens corrections. Needs to be well stopped down, of course.

The only think you need to be aware of with the Sigma 12-24 is that it has a bit of field curvature. 

In most cases this is not a problem with the DOF at the aperture and short focal length.  Just don't expect a flat wall for a few feet away to have everything in focus :-)

Otherwise, I love the Sigma (had original and have the II). 

John
John

Lee Rentz

The best improvements in the Canon 5D III over the 5D II are, for me: focusing is faster and more accurate, especially in low light; dust removal is tremendously better, resulting in far less work in front of the computer; on/off switch and locking dial for exposure modes are big improvements; files download to the computer much faster; there are two cards to hold images; less noise at any given ISO. To me, all these added up to a wonderful improvement from the old model. Sold the old one on ebay with no regrets.

stevesanacore

Hi guys,
I have been shooting architecture and interiors for awhile. I am currently shooting with the Canon 1ds mark 3 and I mainly use my schneider 28mm PC lens. However, I am sending my schneider off for service and will be renting the canon24 TS- version2 (I have the first version which is crap) I've heard the new version is far better and super sharp.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with both of these lenses and know which is sharper/better the new canon or the schneider? Also, I am wondering if I should invest in a prime, maybe 35mm or 50mm, ? Sometimes the 24 is just too wide, like when I am shooting a bedroom and it just stretches out the bed and it looks 12feet long, I need a lens with no barrel distortion that can compress the foreground like a telephoto, but still be wide...thoughts?

Also, I havent upgraded my camera in awhile and think maybe its time, but I am at a loss of what to upgrade to. I hear the canon 1dx is full of problems. And is the 5d mark 3 really an upgrade? or more of a sidestep? Thoughts, comments greatly appreciated!

Not sure what you are looking for is possible. You can't stay wide and change perspective on a bed that is close to the camera. That is not a lens defect. If you go to a longer lens and move back, that will work.

The 24TS-E is levels above the old 24 shift. The 5Dmk3 is also a terrific step forward from the 5Dmk2 and 1Ds in some respects. I sold my 1Ds3, 1D3 and 5dmk2 and bought 2 5d Mk3 bodies. Sorry to say, but for me, nothing beats the Nikon D800E for architectural work. However, Canon still has the better lenses... a crazy situation!

We don't know what we don't know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up