Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon live view AF  (Read 4352 times)

Fine_Art

Nikon live view AF
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:46:55 pm »

First let me say that the entire Nikon D600 focus system is by far superior to the Sony A55. Not that the Sony is bad, just that the Nikon is about 4x the price so it should be better all around, which it is.

On to the subject. In the exposure thread Ray mentioned he doesn't like the blurry CD live view. It is very pixelated, I agree. IIRC another forum member said it is greater than 1 to 1 so it should be pixelated. OK. Personally I find I use it all the time despite it being ugly. I compose in the viewfinder then go live view. I zoom in all the way then use manual focus which is similar to the difficulty of focusing a telescope. I just assume I can trust my eyes to find the best focus anywhere on the scene. That is fine for landscapes which I mostly use the camera for. Given I tend to ignore the A55 now unless I need telephoto, I am going to need to rely on the CD focus module in the future. How good is it? Are people comfortable that they can get very good focus anywhere on the scene with it?

Edit: BTW here is a good video on the CD focus system
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIxNOBPaaM
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:49:33 pm by Fine_Art »

PhotoEcosse

Re: Nikon live view AF
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 04:10:19 pm »

Many thanks for that link.

As a "Philistine" who has never used Live View on my D800 and D800E (nor on any other camera), I was hard pressed to think of any application where it might be useful.

Now I know. Obviously not something I would use for landscapes or wildlife but for portraiture or still life I can see that I might be tempted to have a wee play with it.

Thanks again.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

stamper

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 04:54:38 am »

Fine Art are you using a LCD hood? I have been using the d600 live mode in conjunction with the Samyang prime 24mm fully manual lens zooming into 100% magnification.

I just assume I can trust my eyes to find the best focus anywhere on the scene.

For any aspect of photography ultimately you have to trust your eyes? My success rate is better than AF though it takes more time. A few months ago I was sceptical about LV. I don't know or care if Nikon is less better than the Canon. You use the tools you have? I took this last week with the above named equipment and technique. Obviously enhanced but the sharpness was there in the sign post and the out of focus areas are a result of the camera and not PS.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99408200@N05/10476795934/
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:57:23 am by stamper »

Fine_Art

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 01:53:35 pm »

Fine Art are you using a LCD hood? I have been using the d600 live mode in conjunction with the Samyang prime 24mm fully manual lens zooming into 100% magnification.

I just assume I can trust my eyes to find the best focus anywhere on the scene.

For any aspect of photography ultimately you have to trust your eyes? My success rate is better than AF though it takes more time. A few months ago I was sceptical about LV. I don't know or care if Nikon is less better than the Canon. You use the tools you have? I took this last week with the above named equipment and technique. Obviously enhanced but the sharpness was there in the sign post and the out of focus areas are a result of the camera and not PS.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99408200@N05/10476795934/

No LCD hood.

The question is really about focus on moving objects. CD focus or manual on static subjects should be very accurate. In a situation of street photography or large wildlife crossing a landscape where they are 1/2 the height of the image, do people find CD focus tracking good?

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:46:39 am »

For landscape work, architectural work, still life work and some (not all) portrait work, Live view is a great tool and I'm glad I have it available. For subjects that are constantly in motion like sports and wildlife, it's the wrong tool.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 11:23:47 am »

LV is superb for macros.  Video magnification is so high, the image shifts laterally in the EVF with the changing magnification as you manually adjust focus.

NancyP

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 04:57:17 pm »

Good LV and a pivoting LCD for macro use attracted me to the Canon 60D three years ago. My back and neck thank me for the pivoting LCD. Key to enhancing your live view and protecting against cancer: a broad-brimmed hat. Hoodman gets much less use now that I have taken to wearing that hat.

graeme

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 05:04:24 pm »

Good LV and a pivoting LCD for macro use attracted me to the Canon 60D three years ago. My back and neck thank me for the pivoting LCD. Key to enhancing your live view and protecting against cancer: a broad-brimmed hat. Hoodman gets much less use now that I have taken to wearing that hat.

+1 as a 60D user. The tilting screen combined with live view is also useful for detecting camera shake when you're using your tripod at maximum extension: Zoom into 10x view and make sure the image is steady before triggering the cable release.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 02:07:23 pm »

Hi,

I agree, mostly. I prefer electronic viewfinders to LCD, but I also agree on the pivoting LCD. Nancy is right about the hats, but I don't like hats.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up