Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAVERICK AND CANON IPF8300  (Read 9830 times)

craigrudlin

MAVERICK AND CANON IPF8300
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:27:28 pm »

I have a canon ipf8300.  I would like to upgrade to Maverick OS.  But, there is no
official driver for the new OS on the Canon site, nor mention when there would be one.

Has anyone upgraded and tried the canon ipf8300 (or ipf8400 or similar model) driver
and software?

thanks

craig

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Re: MAVERICK AND CANON IPF8300
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 08:49:12 pm »

I'm in the same situation. I believe the PS plugin should work as it circumvents the installed printer driver.

I'll know in a few weeks when things slow down.
~ CB

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 12:11:11 am »

I'm in the same situation. I believe the PS plugin should work as it circumvents the installed printer driver.

I'll know in a few weeks when things slow down.

Running Mavericks here on 2010 Mac Pro with IPF63500 - 16 Bit Plug in works perfectly.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 09:36:17 am »

I have a canon ipf8300.  I would like to upgrade to Maverick OS.  But, there is no
official driver for the new OS on the Canon site, nor mention when there would be one.

Look again! Canon has released driver updates for 10.9 compatibility for all the iPF printers (going all the way back to the x000 series). The idea here is that you have the latest driver installed in 10.8 and run the driver update after you upgrade to 10.9. If you're starting from scratch in 10.9 with no driver I'd install the 10.8 driver and then the driver update.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageprograf_series/imageprograf_ipf8300#DriversAndSoftware
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

laurent.lorette

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 03:45:37 am »

Hi,

Just some feedback on my personal experience.

I own an IPF8400 / IMac 27" / Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.

I went through a clean install of OS X 10.9 (format, new install and documents restore through USB drive).  Why ?  Simply cause even if I work on Mac I sometimes like a fresh start to clean up all my preferences files and other left-overs from trial softwares, crap I no longer use ...

Well, it didn't work as expected.

After installing Adobe CC, IPF8400 OS X 10.8 driver, update to 10.9, copy the CS6 plugin files to the CC folder, I decided to give a try at some printing.

1.  The Print plugin no longer works, it reports a error message "Please check that the printer is connected and the power is turned on".  I also have a Macbook Pro that I updated from mountain lion to maverick with a "standard" upgrade through App Store.  Same problem although that computer is using a trial version of CS6.  So this is definitely a Maverick issue.

2. The "Print" option from the photoshop menu causes weirder things to happen :  the print process does occur but ...  all that comes out of the printer is a blank page.  Even weirder : if I select the crop and registration marks, they do print but not the image.  Why not try the free layout preview would you tell me ?  Well I tried and on the free layout preview, only the crop marks do show-up.

Mmmmm, I did some more testing :

3. If I select "Printer manages color" under photoshop, .... strange enough everything works, but I do not want that.  If I select "Photoshop manages colour" and use an ICC profile, same symptoms.

4. Same behaviour under in-design and illustrator when using custom icc profiles.

After spending hours on forums, I could not find 2 users with the same problems.  But I could find one common link : every IPF user using maverick + Adobe CC or CS6 has some issues.  That plus the fact that updated plugin files are not available, plus the fact that the driver update is only on the  US site, not EU is leading to a complete system rollback to mountain lion.

I am doing that as I am typing, preparing a USB install disk for my mountain lion install.

If anyone has better luck, I'd be happy to hear from him, I might have some incompatible software on my system but honestly... I couldn't find it.

I wish you the best with maverick if you press on.

Laurent

Update : Mountain Lion back ops and everything is running smooth again.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:17:17 am by laurent.lorette »

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 07:58:38 am »

Did you test with both V2 and v4 profiles?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:16:29 am »

3. If I select "Printer manages color" under photoshop, .... strange enough everything works, but I do not want that.  If I select "Photoshop manages colour" and use an ICC profile, same symptoms.

That seems to suggest that the driver is working and that there could be a profile related issue here. I'm curious to hear if you tried both v2 and v4 profiles.

But I could find one common link : every IPF user using maverick + Adobe CC or CS6 has some issues.  

Several people have reported success with a variety of iPF printers under Mavericks (including one poster here). I'm curious to find out what variable was preventing success for you.

plus the fact that the driver update is only on the  US site, not EU…

Look again, the 10.9 updates that are posted on the European site are dated October 23, 2013.

Thanks for your feedback - I just wish you could have provided this while you were testing so that we could have helped you find a fix! Mavericks is pretty awesome and I don't think it's constructive to discourage people from using it.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

westfreeman

• West Freeman Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 10:40:01 am »

I will add a different issue to the mix

iPF5000
Mac Pro 2009 with 24GB RAM
10.9 - Lightroom 5 and Adobe CS6 - updated my 10.8 drivers and ran the update for 10.9 (for the iPF5100, as per Canon phone support).

My Prints are as much as 3 stops too dark.  I am trying to adjust via Lightroom before going to the print dialog but the change is very slight.  I am also noticing a bit of cyan color shift.  So I am disappointed. 

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 10:56:41 am »

My Prints are as much as 3 stops too dark.

Are they suddenly darker because of the OS update to 10.9? Or were they dark before as well?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

westfreeman

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 11:01:55 am »

Are they suddenly darker because of the OS update to 10.9? Or were they dark before as well?

Might be the upgrade to 10.9 Mavericks.  Not completely sure as I had to change paper types also.  Used to use Polished Rag on the 17" roll now use Premium RC Photo Luster on the 17" roll.  So two things changed ...  I am selecting the correct paper type and I have calibrated both the paper and the monitor,  so I think I'm at wits end as the printer is 'End of life' (I'm not looking at buying a new printer at this time as much as I want one).

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 11:11:08 am »

Might be the upgrade to 10.9 Mavericks.  Not completely sure as I had to change paper types also.

OK, well let's not go blaming Mavericks just yet.

I am selecting the correct paper type and I have calibrated both the paper and the monitor 

When you compare a white piece of paper to whites on screen do they match? Both in terms of color and brightness? If your monitor whites are brighter then you aren't properly calibrated, and are likely viewing your prints under substandard light.

so I think I'm at wits end as the printer is 'End of life'

Doesn't sound end of life to me - let's not get hysterical! Stay constructive.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 11:19:07 am »

OK, well let's not go blaming Mavericks just yet.

Scott, have you upgraded to Mavericks and have no problems printing? I'm just curious. I'm planning on upgrading all computers and devices when everything slows down in January.
~ CB

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 11:53:19 am »

Scott, have you upgraded to Mavericks and have no problems printing? I'm just curious. I'm planning on upgrading all computers and devices when everything slows down in January.

I oversee a lot of computers - not just my own in the studio where I do my own printing. I generally wait at least for x.x.1 and compatible device drivers (printers, scanners, etc) and encourage my clients to do the same. That said, a few of my clients have gone to 10.9 and are printing on the 9400, 8300 and 6350 without incident with my profiles. I'm the middle of printing for an exhibition and for holiday print sales so I'll likely consider the jump to 10.9.1 in January as well for that machine. I'll Guinea pig with a home laptop after I slap an SSD in it over Thanksgiving break.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

westfreeman

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 06:49:41 pm »

Scott

Thanks for replying. 

I'm just a bit frustrated with software issues as Apple gives the developers lots of lead time to write the software for the new OS and they all seam to have issues with it. 

The Pro9000 printer I have seams to be able to print just fine (out of date printer and ...) a lot closer to the final 'look' of the print that I wanted than my iPF5000 printer did.  All of these inkjet printers are lets say one price to buy and well a lot to keep up.

I'm hope to see a fix but am not holding my breath for one as Canon has already said my printer is 'End of Life'. 

West

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 08:17:50 pm »

All of these inkjet printers are lets say one price to buy and well a lot to keep up.

Sounds like you're exhausted with the ongoing maintenance and cost of these printers. You're right - it is significant!

Well it sounds like you'd be good to go if you just made some fresh custom profiles for them both!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:30:17 pm by Scott Martin »
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

westfreeman

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 08:48:13 pm »

Sounds like you're exhausted with the ongoing maintenance and cost of these printers. You're right - it is significant!

I just need to re-think my true usage of one of these.  I love the fact that I can Print but I might not be printing enough to make it worth it.  But at the same time I would love to have a larger printer to experiment with different sizes of prints  ( I know that is not something to just do lightly )  maybe  a dream.  I want the option to be able to print 24" prints in the future. Wait and see.

laurent.lorette

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 03:24:10 am »

Hi,
Look again, the 10.9 updates that are posted on the European site are dated October 23, 2013.
Yep, i've been trigger-happy for this one, they're up now.
That seems to suggest that the driver is working and that there could be a profile related issue here. I'm curious to hear if you tried both v2 and v4 profiles.
Well yes ... both V2 and V4.
My Prints are as much as 3 stops too dark.
I can't tell for your printer driver, but I had this issue due to bad doc from canon and knowledge from my part.  The answer to my dark prints was the lack of reference to I1profiler, Adobe CC, Lightroom 5, ... in the AppColorMatchingInfo.xml file.

As nicely explained by ScottMarting and others on canonipf.wikispaces, after every new install of my canon IPF8400 driver, I need to manually edit this file or download the online update found here : http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/share/view/61894718.

If I do not do that, I cannot select "Off" under color management, the IPF stays in "Color" mode although photoshop CC (or LR5 or any other new software...) is asked to manage colors.  Therefore, 2 color-corrections are applied resulting in darker prints.

At this time, I am a happy mountain lion user with everything back as it used to be.

Greetz,

Laurent
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:30:54 am by laurent.lorette »

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 09:51:49 am »

after every new install of my canon IPF8400 driver, I need to manually edit this file or download the online update found here : http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/share/view/61894718.

If I do not do that, I cannot select "Off" under color management, the IPF stays in "Color" mode although photoshop CC (or LR5 or any other new software...) is asked to manage colors.  Therefore, 2 color-corrections are applied resulting in darker prints.

An excellent point! I wish Canon would ditch the special casing…. it's really dumb.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

westfreeman

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 08:50:14 pm »

I understand the issue with double color management, but I am not sure where to look.  please advise 

Some Guy

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 09:41:43 pm »

x-rite had a color management webinar today.  Evidently the guy had issues with his Epson printer with latest Mavericks and was advising against installing it early, but he did it anyway and his Epson printer was dead with the latest Mavericks, but his Canon printer was okay.  I believe his was a Canon IPF64xx.  Someone in chat sidebar said there was another Mavericks version released today too: 10.9.1.  ???

They should have the webinar in the x-rite or macusersgroup archives in a week maybe.  The show had issues with the 9,500+ people logged in and crashed a lot so they should post it.  Joe Brady was the host.

SB
Pages: [1]   Go Up