Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a "native" iso that minimizes noise in GH3 video?  (Read 15524 times)

wcwest

Is there a "native" iso that minimizes noise in GH3 video?
« on: October 27, 2013, 02:13:38 pm »

Having just moved from Canon to the GH3, I have a question about iso settings for video. There were suggestions that using iso settings in multiples of 160 with a Canon body resulted in less noise. I could not find any relevant information on an internet search for the GH3 regarding this. Is there any opinion or information if the GH3 has a native iso that minimizes noise in videos? I would appreciate any links to a discussion on this subject.

bcooter

Re: Is there a "native" iso that minimizes noise in GH3 video?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 01:26:51 pm »

Having just moved from Canon to the GH3, I have a question about iso settings for video. There were suggestions that using iso settings in multiples of 160 with a Canon body resulted in less noise. I could not find any relevant information on an internet search for the GH3 regarding this. Is there any opinion or information if the GH3 has a native iso that minimizes noise in videos? I would appreciate any links to a discussion on this subject.

Test, Test, Test.

I think 800 is the tops, though I think every sensor on this planet starts to look funny after 800, but that's a whole nother' discussion.

I've pushed the gh3s past that to 3200, but it depends on the lighting source.  You can get some blotching in the shadows which isn't pretty noise, though keying out the blacks and running a little noise reduction works.

Even with that past 800 most of these cameras start losing some dr and depth, the file can get thin looking.

On the other hand if you have a lot of light, 1600 doesn't change anything, but if you have a lot of light you don't need 1600.

IMO

BC

fredjeang2

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 05:54:39 pm »

Has Panasonic fixed the GH2 iso's bug on the GH3 ?

(on the gh2 there was a bug that was causing an anormal increment of noise on certain isos selected when switching from power up - even low - and on some units a very annoying band on the lower third in highest isos, so the cure, or better said the trick, was to select a non conflictive iso for the C1 C2 and C3 to make sure not powering up badly - 320, 640...were to avoid)

I beleive they did fix that on the GH3 but not sure.

James, or Chris S, have you noticed a weired behaviour with your GH3s on that aspect?

Edit: for a discussion on the GH2 iso bug you can start on the hacker site: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1280/gh2-iso-noise-bug-at-320-640-and-1250/p1
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 06:07:23 pm by fredjeang2 »

Vladimirovich

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 05:59:52 pm »

he is GH3 PDR measured per William Claff's method ( http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/ )

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 11:09:34 pm »

(on the gh2 there was a bug that was causing an anormal increment of noise on certain isos selected when switching from power up - even low - and on some units a very annoying band on the lower third in highest isos, so the cure, or better said the trick, was to select a non conflictive iso for the C1 C2 and C3 to make sure not powering up badly - 320, 640...were to avoid)

James, or Chris S, have you noticed a weired behaviour with your GH3s on that aspect?

Edit: for a discussion on the GH2 iso bug you can start on the hacker site: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1280/gh2-iso-noise-bug-at-320-640-and-1250/p1

Fred,

Seriously the only bug I've seen on my gh3's is me.

Early on it takes a while to learn any camera and though the gh3 is now intuitive, I missed some things in file setup, iso, the right nd filters, color settings, tone settings, zeroing out the evf to match the computer.

I've only pushed the file to over 3,000 once and really never thought I would get a usable image but it worked out much better than I thought.

With proper lighting proper setup I've never seen another issue except once when I was medium speed panning and has the os on the lens and got a strange kind of stretch and warping on one take.

Could have been a glitch, but I think it was a combination of the lens stability and the slight jello cam fighting each other.

But shot proper, with support, some light and care of highlights, shadows I really have nothing to say negative on these cameras, just the opposite.  I have found that for video it helps a great deal to turn the sharpening down as far as possible and play with adding some in camera noise reduction for video.

But i've never seen banding, even in blue skies pulled down in a key.

In fact I've seen more weirdness on my RED files than the gh3's. 

Not to go of topic but since the gh3's look like little toys, I think people tend to shoot them that way, where if they mounted a red or an arri they'd put huge care is setup, support, rehearsal and shooting.

If I give the gh3's 1/2 the attention I give my REDs I get twice the result.

IMO

BC

fredjeang2

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 05:18:50 am »

Fred,

Seriously the only bug I've seen on my gh3's is me.

:D
Good to know it's not there on the gh3.

Seriously, the bug in question was very real
And not due to an improper use of the camera.
It did not affect all units. I had one that had it
One that didn't. When it happened, there was
A super nasty horizontal stripe always at the same
Place in the lower third. It happened under controled
Light too and ruined the footage. (in my unit it would
Show-up from 1600 isos to above).

At that time the weired "iso bug" has been well documented
And some tricks showed-up. But for awhile it was very
Annoying.
Apart from that, the gh2 was, and still is, a gas.
I think Panasonic is indeed on the right track with those
Cameras.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:15:08 am by fredjeang2 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up