Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swapping boot drive between Mac Pros?  (Read 2497 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Swapping boot drive between Mac Pros?
« on: October 27, 2013, 05:04:21 am »

Does anyone know if I take the OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe SSD card that is my boot and app drive drive out of my 2008 Mac Pro and slot it straight into a 2010 Mac Pro if it boot and all will be ok as before? Or, will I have to do a rebuild?
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Manoli

Re: Swapping boot drive between Mac Pros?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 05:41:16 am »

Don't know, haven't done it - but why don't you 'mount' the drive from the MP2008 to the MP2010 and set it as the system startup disk, under System Preferences - then see if it works. If not just reset your startup disk on (re)boot.

--
ps
if you can't mount the PCIe SSD, make a bootable 'cloned' copy (with an app such as Carbon Copy Cloner) to a USB drive, attach that, set theMP2010 to boot to that disk - then see ...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:55:01 am by Manoli »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 07:28:33 am »

I currently have several drives which I can boot into, my current OS, a test OS and a duplicate of the test OS to clone if I need to roll back to the clean test install. Currently trying Mavericks on the Test and have a non-upgraded version of Mountain Lion with all my basic software on to roll back to on the back up of Test.
To choose boot drive, when starting up hold down the Alt key and then you will get a choice of drives to boot from. 
So add your OWC drive, then when you boot up use Alt that should be one of your options.

To set whichever drive you want to be the default, you just change that in System Preferences.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 09:19:18 pm »

Yup - it worked :-)
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up