Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printing a portion of image out of lightroom  (Read 4636 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
printing a portion of image out of lightroom
« on: October 27, 2013, 12:55:59 am »

What is the easiest method to print a portion of an image out of lightoom that would represent a slice of a bigger print. For example, i want to make a 40x50" print at 180dpi and would like to print a few areas of that on 8.5x11 sheets to preview how the various image regions will hold up in the actual big print. In photoshop this is quite easy to do by copying portions of an image with a fixed size marque and pasting them into a smaller page document.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: printing a portion of image out of lightroom
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 01:24:48 am »

I usually print stripes of the image.
Lets say I would want a 24x36" final print of a tricky image, I would probably print 2 or 3 stripes of 24x3" of the more potentially problematic areas. To do that I would create a 24x3" paper size, set Lightroom print module to "zoom to fill" and position the stripes by dragging the image. Quick, simple and provides real size crop stripes good for checking detail, sharpness, noise, colour accuracy... everything.

Best regards.

eliedinur

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 03:57:45 am »

I create a Virtual Copy or two and then crop to  a small section and print using the same resampling and sharpening settings as will be used for the big one.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

lelouarn

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 01:05:50 pm »

Hi !
Any other ideas on how to do this ? So printing some (user selected)  part of an image on paper size X (perhaps in A4) corresponding to the same resolution as the full image at size Y (perhaps a pano with the width of A3 - 30cm) ?
This to test on a small paper size how a big print will look like.
It's got to be possible in Lightroom. If not ? Then it should be ? :-)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 01:21:48 pm »

I'm sure this can be done in Lr but I'm not sure how efficiently. PS is the better solution for this. All you need to do is set up your print for the big size you want then change the paper size to the size of the test print you want. Then select "do not scale" in the printer setup box. You will get a warning that your image size exceeds the paper size, click OK, and voila - you have a nice little sample at 100% resolution. PS lets you pick the portion of the image you want to sample as well.

I've never been able to do this easily in Lr, and for this reason, still prefer to print out of PS though I confess the Lr print module has its advantages, too.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 04:43:22 pm »

Make a virtual copy. Crop the copy to the area you want to print.

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 05:11:55 pm »

How do you crop the image so that you are getting a 100% resolution section at whatever proof size you are going to print - other than just estimating it and cropping the image accordingly?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

PeterAit

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 10:39:45 am »

How do you crop the image so that you are getting a 100% resolution section at whatever proof size you are going to print - other than just estimating it and cropping the image accordingly?

I do not understand what you are asking. What is "100% resolution?"

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 02:10:06 pm »

I think he’s asking how to make a small test print of a portion of an image that will be an exact match to the resolution/detail size on the final full size print.

Easy to do if you are using roll paper, just print a full width strip only a few inches wide.  Also pretty easy if you are printing sheets and print a full width strip of several images on a single test page.  Tougher to do as OP requested, print an 8x10 section of a 30x40” print that is exactly the same size.

I’ve never really tried it, I don’t have any issues printing a 13x19” test print of the full image and printing larger sizes once I’m happy.

lelouarn

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 05:15:10 am »

Thanks guys ! It seems PS is the way to go. I never print through PS - LR is soooo convenient, as it remembers all the printer settings. I'll give PS a try...

PeterAit

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 08:01:38 am »

I think he’s asking how to make a small test print of a portion of an image that will be an exact match to the resolution/detail size on the final full size print.

With a little math this can be done.

1) Final goal is (say) a 30x40 print. Want to print an appx 8x10 " section at same resolution.
2) Determine pixel width of full image. Call with W1.
3) Crop desired section and determine its pixel width. Call this W2 and your ratio is W2/W1.
4) Print the crop at a print width of W3 = W2/W1 times 40 (the width of the final print).
Pages: [1]   Go Up