Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lancashire Sunsets  (Read 1030 times)

ned.ward

• Ned Ward - Eternal Apprentice, I'm keen to learn.
Lancashire Sunsets
« on: October 26, 2013, 07:55:28 am »

I'm an amateur and new to this forum. Looking to learn and improve my current standard. This site has a great reputation as a learning resource and there is an abundance of knowledge available.

Advice, comments welcome. Is this the right place for that?

Cheers
Ned Ward
"Hapless nobody, married with a mortgage and no job, loves photography and zany humour, seeks philanthropist with amnesia."

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: Lancashire Sunsets
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 08:06:19 am »

Hi Ned,

asking for critique and comments:
We have "A place for reasoned and civilized discussion about user submitted photographs" in the "User Critiques" forum.

I could easily connect to the second image - nice composition and it tells a little story about the tides.
The first doesn't do much to me, I believe there is more potential in the scene.

Welcome aboard and have fun!

Cheers
~Chris

ned.ward

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 11:13:57 am »

Thanks Chris
Ned
"Hapless nobody, married with a mortgage and no job, loves photography and zany humour, seeks philanthropist with amnesia."

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 12:34:43 pm »

Welcome, Ned!

Both are competent images (a compliment).

By "competent" I mean they are shot and processed with no apparent faults, indicating you knew what you were doing. Highlights are reasonably well controlled, shadows are not opened too much. Composition is classical. The sun was caught just at the right moment. Anything else that I (or others) might not like seems like a result of your deliberate choice, ie, not by mistake or ignorance, thus shall be respected as such (well, at least by me).

Well done for the intro post and let's see some more.

P.S. Love your signature!

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 02:35:27 pm »

Hi Ned, welcome aboard.

I agree with everything said above, the only extra advice I would give you would be keep the ultra thin border, but go for black instead of white, white sort of bleeds out the edges of the shot slightly (for me at least), but that is my preference I suppose and so it might not be yours and of course that is just fine. Also I think these shots may be handheld, as there seems to be the tiniest bit of softness in certain areas of the images, so if I am right and they are handheld, then I would advise the purchase and use of a good tripod for all your work - yes I know, they are cumbersome and annoying to carry around and also you can feel a bit of prat when you first start using one in public, but for all your work and especially for lowlight shots like these, if you want to get that ultra sharp clarity of detail throughout the shot, then you simply cannot beat using a good solid tripod. In fact I would go as far as to say that using a good tripod, is the single easiest way to massively improve your photography in one easy step.

If they were taken using a tripod and it is just my screen or the jpg compression that has introduced a little softness, then please accept my apologies and totally ignore the above.

:)

Dave
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 02:39:28 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

ned.ward

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 05:04:03 pm »

Slobodan,
Thanks for the welcome. I'm looking for good old fashioned honesty when I submit for critique or comment. As long as there is reasoned judgement I'm not too fragile. Most of what I shoot is deliberate although I can honestly say there isn't one image I wouldn't change. Its a curse, or maybe lack of confidence. I do make mistakes on an epic scale though.

I have recently been experimenting with White Balance manipulation but the results in some cases are literally unbelievable in my narrow experience. If I can pluck the courage I'll post one.  I'll also try to be a good forum member. Glad you like the signature, and thanks for taking time to comment.

Cheers
Ned

ned.ward

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 05:13:53 pm »

Hi Dave,
Thank you for the advice its well received. I was using a tripod for both shots they seem sharp here but I'll check to see if there is softness. I use a tripod and with shots like these long exposures use the timer. However its not beyond the bounds of possibility that in the ceaseless wind we have endured for what seems like years, (although the summer was good) I may have not anchored properly. Another explanation is not focusing in the right place in frame to get front to back sharpness. Normally I'll aim about 1/3rd in for these type shot but probably don't always conform. Like you say could dust be compression. No need to apologise I grateful you mentioned it.

I have a shot of Kilt Rock Falls I think its called. The composition must be exactly the same for countless tourists that go to wonderful Skye. As you know without a boat there's only one shot?

Cheers
Ned
Pages: [1]   Go Up