Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One and Hassy H4X?  (Read 3879 times)

avelpavel

• http://www.pastrovicchio.com
Phase One and Hassy H4X?
« on: October 26, 2013, 05:57:10 am »

Anyone is using a P65+ or IQ160 with Hasselblad H4X cameras? I would like to know if the 24mm and 28mm lenses gives good results on it (if I'm not wrong I remember they are optimized for the 37x49mm sensors, isn'it?).
If someone had a chance to use them with a HTS it would be great to know how they behave with it and how good is Capture One to deal with it.

I know it's hard but I'm looking for a "one for all" solution to simplify my work, I'm shooting lots of different things (still life, interiors, architecture) and it will be great to work with 1 camera only.

Many thanks

Rob

Roberto Pastrovicchio Photography . Italy . +39 329 9617876 . info@pastrovicchio.com

jerome_m

Re: Phase One and Hassy H4X?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 06:19:07 am »

I would like to know if the 24mm and 28mm lenses gives good results on it (if I'm not wrong I remember they are optimized for the 37x49mm sensors, isn'it?).

Yes. All lenses with a name starting with HCD are optimized for these smaller sensors. Lenses covering the full 645 frame are called HC.

If someone had a chance to use them with a HTS it would be great to know how they behave with it and how good is Capture One to deal with it.

No idea how they behave with capture one, but I should point out that the lenses will cover a bigger frame when mounted on the HTS (or you would not be able to shift), but they obviously vignette when fully shifted. Phocus will correct that automatically using the tilt and shift values stored in the exifs (and will also correct distortion, etc...). I don't think that these values would be stored when used the H4x, however.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 06:32:44 am »

Anyone is using a P65+ or IQ160 with Hasselblad H4X cameras? I would like to know if the 24mm and 28mm lenses gives good results on it (if I'm not wrong I remember they are optimized for the 37x49mm sensors, isn'it?).

I know it's hard but I'm looking for a "one for all" solution to simplify my work, I'm shooting lots of different things (still life, interiors, architecture) and it will be great to work with 1 camera only.

Many thanks

Rob

Roberto Pastrovicchio Photography . Italy . +39 329 9617876 . info@pastrovicchio.com

Hi

I have used both the 24mm and 28mm on the H4D-60.  You lose a little bit in the corners some of which is recoverable but this is not a serious impediment to using these very good and sharp lenses.  I have also used both on the HTS.  Vignetting on extreme shifts but otherwise okay.

One small point Hasselblad MFD is now very cheap second hand.  Have a look at this web site in the UK.

http://www.procentre.co.uk/sales-secondhand-medium-format-digital.php
David Watson ARPS

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 08:10:06 am »

I think somebody with hands one H+Phase experience of the 28 should answer the OP's query.
Does Phocus process Phase files? If not you lose the HTS corrections and the 28/24mm correctiions.
Does C1 or Lightroom correct for the lenses?

The 28 at least and possibly the 24 are designed with known visual defects for lattter perfect software correction; presumably no Phocus, no correction ....

And then there is the question of how the Phase back gets adjusted/shimmed for focus alignment and planarity on the H body.

One of our NICE AND COMPETENT DEALERS - you know who you are - might tell us how it goes with the Frankenblads. I guess even Yair should know :)

Edmund
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 08:29:14 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Douglas Fairbank

• Retired Hasselblad service technician
    • Classic V
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 09:34:47 am »

Are far as I know Phocus will not handle Phase files, however I am not running the latest version until I can upgrade my PC. It does handle nef, cr2, mos, dng, tiff, jpg.
I don't think Phase backs need any adjustment or 'shimming' for the H bodies
Douglas Fairbank LRPS

JV

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 09:52:13 am »

I think somebody with hands one H+Phase experience of the 28 should answer the OP's query.
Does Phocus process Phase files? If not you lose the HTS corrections and the 28/24mm correctiions.
Does C1 or Lightroom correct for the lenses?

The 28 at least and possibly the 24 are designed with known visual defects for lattter perfect software correction; presumably no Phocus, no correction ....

And then there is the question of how the Phase back gets adjusted/shimmed for focus alignment and planarity on the H body.

One of our NICE AND COMPETENT DEALERS - you know who you are - might tell us how it goes with the Frankenblads. I guess even Yair should know :)

Edmund

Last time I checked C1 had lens profiles for 7 out of 12 lenses: 28, 35, 80, 100, 120, 150 and 50-110.

Why not for all 12?  I am just wondering, after all if Leica is able to reverse engineer the Hasselblad lenses and actually make an adapter for them...

avelpavel

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 07:15:39 am »

Thank you for your advice.

I know a complete Hasselblad system will be the best solution for the HTS and their lenses, let's see if someone who used the Phase/Hassy combo will enter the discussion.

At the moment I'm using Contax 645 with the P65+ but I would like to have some wider choice then the 35mm and wonder if switching the mount will give me a better system.

Rob

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 01:42:24 pm »

If the HTS is part of your goal, consider a technical camera frame for your P65+.

I have Phocus 2.7.4 and it won't open IIQ files from a IQ260 or IQ140 that I shot over the summer - it'll read the metadata and show the embeded preview but that's it.
t: @PNWMF

avelpavel

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 02:38:29 pm »

Thanks Joe,

I wonder if it works opening the P65+ files in C1 and use an LCC file for the lenses used with the HTS, like a tech camera setup.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up