Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 5 and Mac 10.6.8  (Read 9847 times)

John Camp

Lightroom 5 and Mac 10.6.8
« on: October 25, 2013, 05:14:24 pm »

I just sprang for the LR+PS CC package. Photoshop loaded fine, but Lightroom wouldn't load. For those of you who are a bit tardy in upgrading your Mac operating system, the cc version of Lightroom won't load unless you have at least 10.7. I was trying to load with a 10.6.8 and it wouldn't do it. Fortunately, Apple just released Mavericks for free, and it loads just fine on top of 10.6.8, and then LR5 loads fine as well. Kind of like the look of the Mavericks.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Lightroom 5 and Mac 10.6.8
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 02:17:31 pm »

LR 5.x--10.6.8, no. 10.7 and newer, yes.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 12:08:26 pm »

yeah, just googled..."a list of third party legacy apps that won't run in Mavericks" and get no list or any answers relating to which versions of my Adobe apps that are running just fine in 10.6.8 on my 2010 Mac Mini in 64 bit. Found an apple.discussion post indicating PowerPC apps won't run which doesn't help since I don't use or have those apps anyway.

Free can have its price, just wish I knew what it was before downloading this behemoth OS install over a 1.5mbs DSL connection which is the only way I can get it for free.

Will LR4.1 and CS5 run in Mavericks? I'm assuming CS3 won't. Universal binary?...use that as a search term and see what pops up.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 12:14:30 pm by Tim Lookingbill »

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 10:26:34 pm »

Free can have its price, just wish I knew what it was before downloading this behemoth OS install over a 1.5mbs DSL connection which is the only way I can get it for free.

1.5 MB/s sounds like paradise from here, deep in the heart of Texas w/no DSL service. My Hughes satellite connection fell to just over 5KB/s today while I was uploading nine ~6MB files to my site. Started out at a whopping 16KB/s! Took awhile . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (yawn)  ;)
best regards,

Ted

John Camp

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 11:11:41 pm »

Going to make a slight retraction here. In the first post, I said I kind of like the look of Mavericks. As it turns out, I've been having quite a bit of trouble with the new OS.

I'm not sure how do you *really* compare, but OSX9 it seems to run notably slower than 10.6.8.
I've got a bug that's driving me crazy, which Apple can't seem to fix, despite some serious time in Apple chat. From looking on Google, I suspect the bug is a rare one...but I've got it.
In trying to get my bug fixed, I've also spent a lot of time on the OSX community forums, and a lot of people seem to be having trouble with compatibility issues. When I signed on Thursday, there were over 5,000 conversations going, and this was only two days after it was released.

If I were to do it again, I might wait a while before upgrading.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 12:19:05 am »

1.5 MB/s sounds like paradise from here, deep in the heart of Texas w/no DSL service. My Hughes satellite connection fell to just over 5KB/s today while I was uploading nine ~6MB files to my site. Started out at a whopping 16KB/s! Took awhile . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . (yawn)  ;)

I have to make a correction, Ted. I don't know why I always misquote my own mbs, but I have AT&T 3mbs u-verse "Pro" package.

Doesn't really make much difference though. A poster over at Photo.net stated the 5.6GB Mavericks download took 2 hours on his 10mbs broadband line. So yeah, I'm going to have wait like John Camp suggests, only for different reasons.

Thanks for updating on your experience with Mavericks, John.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 06:04:51 am »

It's usually best to wait until the .3 or .4 release before upgrading to a new version of OSX [something I was also told by an Apple genius], just like it is prudent to wait for Service Pack 1 for a Windows upgrade.
I have Mavericks installed on my test drive. But won't use it for work until it's safe enough to do so.

There seems to be another gotcha - a deal breaker for some. You now cannot sync Calendar/Contacts wirelessly anymore with your iDevices/computers, it has to be done via the Cloud which will thrill those like xpatUSA who have limited online access or those who choose not to use the cloud.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 06:45:13 am »

I upgraded to "Mavericks" (ridiculous name) on the day it was released. I've not had any problems, but I've not noticed any benefits or much that's different. If you've not got the bandwidth, why bother?

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 07:03:29 am »

A big difference for me was the fact Apple finally noticed dual monitors exist. The big downside it that they crippled other stuff in doing so. :(
So still not as usable as Windows was last century.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up