Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Identifiable people in my new photo book--permissions needed?  (Read 16168 times)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: Identifiable people in my new photo book--permissions needed?
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2013, 12:23:34 pm »

Coincidentally, the link in question leads to a blog of a LuLa member.

Unforgettable:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=18236.0

Manoli

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2013, 12:24:26 pm »

You will have to explain that to me in plainer English for me to understand it. I am not making accusations rather the opposite …

Stamper,

My fault. My post wasn't clear. The " Persisting in false, mistaken and uneducated hypotheses … " wasn't a comment referring to you or any of your posts. It was my summary 'take' on Davidson's dogged, ill-informed postings - two of which I highlighted in post #21.  

I'm sorry if a misinterpretation caused you any offence - absolutely none was intended.

ps
I understand your point, but will not criticise jjj for posting the link. He's one of the more informed and interesting contributors to this site - given that we're not a court of law, I think it's good indication that FD's recent behaviour is not an aberration. Frankly, if he hadn't posted the link I would have - ( the /floyd-davidson-barrows-pathological-liar/ one)

Having said all that, do not wish to waste any more time on FD, enough's been wasted already.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:53:56 pm by Manoli »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2013, 12:41:20 pm »

... It is also possible that the person on the other forums is posting under another persons guise such as "stealing" Slobodan's  identity and posting as Slobodan from Chicago...

Stamper, how can anyone "steal" my awesome and adorable personality, screwed-up sense of humor and a unique posting style!?  ;D

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2013, 02:26:50 pm »

My rule of thumb, though I don't portray an attorney or am one is real life is to put yourself in the shoes of the person you are showing. If it isn't controversial or advertising and you feel as though you would be comfortable if that photo was of you, you are probably ok. But for peace of mind, check with an attorney.

If you are a member of ASMP, NPPA, etc., you could ask the organization's general council for direction on how to proceed or with whom to turn for proper council.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

AFairley

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2013, 02:36:30 pm »

My rule of thumb, though I don't portray an attorney or am one is real life is to put yourself in the shoes of the person you are showing. If it isn't controversial or advertising and you feel as though you would be comfortable if that photo was of you, you are probably ok.

OTOH, a while I was downtown shooting on the street with an EVF camera and I standing on the corner checking some menu setting or other with my eye to the EVF instead of the rear LCD and not paying any attention to where the camera was pointing, and some woman came up to me and started berating me for taking pictures of her car.  Yes, not her, her car, some black SUV.  She was from Europe, though I'm sure there are just as many nutty Americans.  So you never know.

mezzoduomo

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2013, 02:49:56 pm »

Stamper, how can anyone "steal" my awesome and adorable personality, screwed-up sense of humor and a unique posting style!?  ;D

Yes, quite a good question. Clearly there's only one Slobo, only one Mozart, etc., etc....and only one Jerry Lewis, too.  ;D

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2013, 04:59:33 pm »

OTOH, a while I was downtown shooting on the street with an EVF camera and I standing on the corner checking some menu setting or other with my eye to the EVF instead of the rear LCD and not paying any attention to where the camera was pointing, and some woman came up to me and started berating me for taking pictures of her car.  Yes, not her, her car, some black SUV.  She was from Europe, though I'm sure there are just as many nutty Americans.  So you never know.

There certainly are just as many nutty Americans, Alan. Maybe more. Hope you got a model release from the car.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

AFairley

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2013, 05:06:35 pm »

Or why would they want to in the first place.   ;D

Floyd Davidson

• Images From Barrow Alaska
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2013, 08:34:17 pm »

Unforgettable:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=18236.0

Perhaps a little information about that thread would help some people with their perspective.  But first, let me note that the last post in the thread quotes one of the many later deleted articles by David Eves (aka Majik), which says:

"Although I wasn't in Barrow this year for whaling; we are still in Anchorage.
But under the 'fair use act' I can use these photos from a friend that was there."

The polar bear picture is mine, and was download from a site which specifically states no use other than viewing is permitted; plus he edited it to remove copyright information (a criminal offense).  Since his discussion is not about the image, and he is using the image to illustrate his otherwise unrelated article, it probably does not constitute a Fair Use of my photography.  (The original is at http://apaflo.com/savik/d3s_4232.s.jpg.html)

And obviously David Eves is not a friend of mine in any way.  For 3 or 4 years he lived a block away, so we were neighbors.  I enjoy his pictures greatly.

But make no mistake, David has fairly serious mental health issues.  His forum posts, here on Lula and on other forums, make that abundantly clear to anyone with an ounce of judgment.  Clearly many people don't, and they commonly abuse him greatly (I'm sure that thread was originally full of the typical abuse but fortunately has been cleaned up by the Administrators) or they just as mistakenly quote him as if what he says has some value.  Both actions are unrealistic, and put those who engage in them in a very poor light.

People here today citing articles on his web page as if they were realistic, are demonstrating their own complete lack of judgment at best, and potentially a total lack integrity at worst.  It works as a very good litmus test though!  Cite articles like that (by him or anyone similar and about virtually any topic), and you then have zero credibility on any  topic.

stamper

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2013, 04:58:08 am »

Slobodan you are correct. As an example I should have used a more "saner" person. ;) ;D

stamper

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2013, 04:59:40 am »

Stamper,

My fault. My post wasn't clear. The " Persisting in false, mistaken and uneducated hypotheses … " wasn't a comment referring to you or any of your posts. It was my summary 'take' on Davidson's dogged, ill-informed postings - two of which I highlighted in post #21. 

I'm sorry if a misinterpretation caused you any offence - absolutely none was intended.

ps
I understand your point, but will not criticise jjj for posting the link. He's one of the more informed and interesting contributors to this site - given that we're not a court of law, I think it's good indication that FD's recent behaviour is not an aberration. Frankly, if he hadn't posted the link I would have - ( the /floyd-davidson-barrows-pathological-liar/ one)

Having said all that, do not wish to waste any more time on FD, enough's been wasted already.

No problem Manoli. I just wanted some clarification. :)

stamper

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2013, 05:01:14 am »

A whole can of worms has been opened in this thread. Perhaps the moderator should lock it?

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2013, 05:03:19 am »

A whole can of worms has been opened in this thread. Perhaps the moderator should lock it?

Agreed.
The destructive powers unleashed here need to be stopped.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2013, 06:30:53 am »

Floyd,
No one was ever mean to majikimaj
we in fact got a great contribution from him.
I think his may have the most viewers of any thread on lula
Not because of controversy or form.
The guy is kind of odd, but ummmm
yeah,
he is a genuinely considered person.
And you can be too,
I always like to hang with outsiders, you seem like the ultimate outsider.
I'll be your friend if you need one.
I looked at your website, I like nature photography best, do you have more wildlife such as the beautiful owl??
I'd love to see some more.
Have a day!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 06:36:22 am by Rocco Penny »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2013, 06:36:48 am »

I'm not sure that linking to other forums to deride someone - that is a member here - is good etiquette ? It is possible that you pick on the wrong person or that if it is the same then that person hasn't "improved his/her posting skills" It is also possible that the person on the other forums is posting under another persons guise such as "stealing" Slobodan's  identity and posting as Slobodan from Chicago. I'm a member of other forums and definitely don't post with the same name. The reason being that is displayed in this thread. How do we know that the information displayed on Floyd is true? I'm not a fan of his style of posting but it seems the "attacks" are OTT. :(
The reason I posted the links was because it was to illustrate that a member here snapping because of Floyds posting style is not unusual.

Manoli I wasn't referring to you. As you stated you have linked to threads on this forum. I am talking about external links to other sites. External links smacks of stalking imo. Whether the links were Googled or stumbled upon I don't know.
The reason I googled him was simply because someone mentioned in another thread that he was a known troll from elsewhere and best avoided and suggested googling him to see why. So I did and discovered he'd annoyed people elsewhere.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Floyd Davidson

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2013, 07:40:36 am »

Floyd,
No one was ever mean to majikimaj

Not true in general.

I cannot tell how he was treated here, because his posts have been deleted (and I can imagine exactly what caused that because he necessarily has been removed from many forums).  Typically as soon as people realize how goofy what he says actually is, he gets dumped on pretty badly.  It isn't nearly as bad in forums like this with a very broad audience of people with no idea about Alaska and are willing to swallow what he says without complaint, but on forums with other Alaskans the fierce animosity comes out very quickly because they have more knowledge of how he distorts his facts.

we in fact got a great contribution from him.

Great photography, yes.  The stories he tells to explain the photography are fabrications that annoy Alaskans, and in particular annoy Alaska Native people.  For example all the pictures and activities supposed be when it is 60 below zero in Point Hope... except it has never ever been 60 below in Point Hope!

I think his may have the most viewers of any thread on lula
Not because of controversy or form.
The guy is kind of odd, but ummmm
yeah,
he is a genuinely considered person.
And you can be too,
I always like to hang with outsiders, you seem like the ultimate outsider.
I'll be your friend if you need one.
I looked at your website, I like nature photography best, do you have more wildlife such as the beautiful owl??
I'd love to see some more.
Have a day!

Well, I have few thousand pictures of Snowy Owls... :-)  But I'm only willing to post some of them to the web,   I've basically released the best owl picture (it's on wiki commons) with a free license for use by anyone.  I do wildlife pictures when I can't do people pictures.

Floyd Davidson

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2013, 07:43:20 am »

The reason I posted the links was because it was to illustrate that a member here snapping because of Floyds posting style is not unusual.

I did suspect that you had something in common with David Eves.  But blaming me is a bit much...

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2013, 07:59:56 am »

Again, struggling with reading comprehension Floyd. I didn't snap like David Eves, someone else did and you also provoked a similar reaction on DPReview.
Now to annoy people quite as much as you have here during your brief time on LuLa takes something special.
Which reminds me I need to hide your posts like others have already done.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Floyd Davidson

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2013, 08:43:55 am »

Again, struggling with reading comprehension Floyd. I didn't snap like David Eves, someone else did and you also provoked a similar reaction on DPReview.

You almost certainly have exhibited these characteristics for decades before you ever heard of me.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2013, 11:28:11 am »

Floyd, you really ought to check Michael's lead-in to The Coffee Corner: "It is assumed (and required) that posters conduct themselves in a civil and adult manner." The operative word is "required." Most of us have watched several people disappear permanently from LuLa because they either didn't read, or didn't understand that word. I'm not sure which of those shortcomings is your personal problem, but you might want to ponder the situation and see if you can figure it out. Of course, the other possible course is to leave LuLa voluntarily. That would remove the possibility of future embarrassment.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up