Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Identifiable people in my new photo book--permissions needed?  (Read 16162 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Identifiable people in my new photo book--permissions needed?
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 03:13:22 pm »

. . .and is precisely correct too.

Floyd, I'm not even going to try to explain what's wrong with your legal advice. No, I'm not a lawyer, but if you'd read the rest of the thread you'd know that I have top-notch legal advice specific to this subject built into my family. I'm well acquainted with the legal ramifications surrounding publication and sale of photographs in Colorado, but since I'm not an attorney I can't hand out advice on the law. Here's some advice for you: Pay attention to what Alan said. A lot is specific to the locality where you're going to show and publish, and, as Alan said, you really need to talk to somebody who's familiar with the local situation. "Precisely correct?" You haven't a clue who the people are who're being shown in those pictures, and it's clear you've never heard of right of publicity. That's just one of the flaws in your "precisely correct" legal advice.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Manoli

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2013, 04:08:54 pm »

You won't be the first,

nor the last...

Dude, You've been a member here for a month, and you've spent 3 days and 11 hours logged on. Sounds like about 10% of the total elapsed time, and perhaps 15% of your waking hours, […] and why are you such an insufferable know-it-all?

See this post for an answer ( you could call it an artist's statement )
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=82268.msg668064#msg668064

and this for another
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=82268.msg668057#msg668057

add numerous instances a 'bull in a china shop' approach, including proffering unsolicited advice on cameras that don't exist (monochrome Leica DSLR's), printers he doesn't own (but has the manual!), a convoluted theory of colour management
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=83298.msg672803#msg672803

only too persist with
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=83376.msg673767#msg673767

and you begin to get the picture.

" Ignorance is forgivable, as it is where we all start out, but once one has been given the means to rectify their ignorance and persist in foolishness, they have crossed the line into stupidity. "

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 04:16:32 pm by Manoli »

AFairley

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 04:16:32 pm »

Now read what AFairley, who admits he is an attorney, said about that. 

"Admits"?  Ouch!   :o

RSL

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 05:59:10 pm »

Yeah, my son puts up with the same crap, Alan. He does like lawyer jokes though. He's been in the business now for more than 30 years, and the stuff never slows down.

Floyd Davidson

• Images From Barrow Alaska
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 06:50:21 pm »

Floyd, I'm not even going to try to explain what's wrong with your legal advice. No, I'm not a lawyer, but if you'd read the rest of the thread you'd know that I have top-notch legal advice specific to this subject built into my family. I'm well acquainted with the legal ramifications surrounding publication and sale of photographs in Colorado, but since I'm not an attorney I can't hand out advice on the law. Here's some advice for you: Pay attention to what Alan said. A lot is specific to the locality where you're going to show and publish, and, as Alan said, you really need to talk to somebody who's familiar with the local situation. "Precisely correct?" You haven't a clue who the people are who're being shown in those pictures, and it's clear you've never heard of right of publicity. That's just one of the flaws in your "precisely correct" legal advice.

Poor Russ...   you still haven't understood what I said, and continue to imply irrelevant significance when there is none.

I'm not exactly impressed, BTW, about your in family legal expertize.  If your son who is an attorney is able to give you legal advice... that almost certainly means his level of expertize is not great, nor is his sphere of influence. More likely you are making claims that are not valid though!  (I'll just leave it with the notion that any attorney worth much will be contractually bound up tight as a drum about just who has access to their legal talent.  And you can guess how I would know about that too!)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:58:43 pm by Floyd Davidson »

Floyd Davidson

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 06:57:31 pm »

"Admits"?  Ouch!   :o

Sorry about that! (I lie.)

I spend a lot of time BSing with lawyers on a social basis... ;-)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 07:14:28 pm »

Floyd - after getting through some of your short posting history on this forum I suggest you take a break from it and rethink your posting style.
You might earn the "piss off most people in the shortest amount of time" - award.
I know of at least one long-time forum member who is seriously pondering of leaving Lula because of your interactions.
No - I won't elaborate on that.

Stop Trolling !

~Chris

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 07:47:11 pm »

... You might earn the "piss off most people in the shortest amount of time" - award...

I do not know why are you guys so much against poor Floyd!?

I, for one, find his postings uniquely concise, factual, up-to-the-point... if somewhat repetitive.

See for yourself:

Floyd Davidson

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 07:48:26 pm »

I, for one, find his postings uniquely concise, factual, up-to-the-point...

You've nailed the "problem".

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 08:09:35 pm »

I do not know why are you guys so much against poor Floyd!?

I, for one, find his postings uniquely concise, factual, up-to-the-point... if somewhat repetitive.

See for yourself:
I tried doing that, but I'd forgotten the arcane method needed to do so.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 08:16:04 pm »

Thanks Slobodan - you reminded me of something ...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 08:17:06 pm »

I tried doing that, but I'd forgotten the arcane method needed to do so.

I little bit hidden feature... go to your own profile... anyway, the picture tells it all:

P.S. It applies both to posts and messages

RSL

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 09:34:47 pm »

Poor Russ...   you still haven't understood what I said, and continue to imply irrelevant significance when there is none.

I'm not exactly impressed, BTW, about your in family legal expertize.  If your son who is an attorney is able to give you legal advice... that almost certainly means his level of expertize is not great, nor is his sphere of influence. More likely you are making claims that are not valid though!  (I'll just leave it with the notion that any attorney worth much will be contractually bound up tight as a drum about just who has access to their legal talent.  And you can guess how I would know about that too!)

Sorry, Floyd. The utter unintelligibility of this post makes it impossible to answer, and I have no intention of trading insults with you, which seems to be your whole reason for being on LuLa. Maybe somebody else will be willing. I'm not.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2013, 07:11:47 am »

Thx RSL

it was drifty from the art standpoint and perspective I'm guaranteed here.
Floyd could see it too if'n he wants,
I have the feeling though this is about building as big a fire as he can.
See his presence on google-
freaked out a whole dang town,
seems like he can keep his story straight just long enough to give away the punch line,
IDK,
i guess I like a good joke as much as anyone :)

stamper

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2013, 07:48:08 am »

I'm not sure that linking to other forums to deride someone - that is a member here - is good etiquette ? It is possible that you pick on the wrong person or that if it is the same then that person hasn't "improved his/her posting skills" It is also possible that the person on the other forums is posting under another persons guise such as "stealing" Slobodan's  identity and posting as Slobodan from Chicago. I'm a member of other forums and definitely don't post with the same name. The reason being that is displayed in this thread. How do we know that the information displayed on Floyd is true? I'm not a fan of his style of posting but it seems the "attacks" are OTT. :(

Manoli

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2013, 08:29:38 am »

I'm not sure that linking to other forums to deride someone - that is a member here - is good etiquette ?

Not sure that 'deride' is an accurate comment either. The links I've posted to are threads on this site. On the basis of 'say what you mean and mean what you say' the postings speak for themselves. Trolling is just that - trolling. That there is previous 'form' only serves to reinforce the objections raised by some of the more eminent contributors to this forum.

stamper

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2013, 09:25:17 am »

Manoli I wasn't referring to you. As you stated you have linked to threads on this forum. I am talking about external links to other sites. External links smacks of stalking imo. Whether the links were Googled or stumbled upon I don't know. This one in particular could be seen as defamatory but then again I am not a lawyer.

http://majikimaje.com/WordPress/2010/04/28/floyd-davidson-barrows-pathological-liar/
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:27:36 am by stamper »

Manoli

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2013, 11:00:26 am »

Stamper, the link you refer to 'prima facie' has no bearing on Davidson's postings here;  it may or may not be defamatory. If it is, he has legal recourse (particularly in the USA) -  that he has not yet done so, after 13 years, suggests otherwise.

I have followed some of your posts, I may not always agree with your views, but they are civil, reasoned and most importantly contribute to the discussion at hand - (at least the one's that I've seen).

Persisting in false, mistaken and uneducated hypotheses, particularly once the errors have already been pointed out, do not constitute 'discussion' and do nothing to add to this forum.  Not to put too fine a point on it, IMO, they actually detract from it.

--
ps
he should know all about his legal rights as I see he has now taken to 'educating' some of our resident lawyers
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=83409.msg674247#msg674247

stamper

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2013, 11:12:15 am »

Manoli are you aware that the link I posted in Reply#36 has already been posted in Reply#19 by another member and my point is that he was ill advised to do so?

Persisting in false, mistaken and uneducated hypotheses, particularly once the errors have already been pointed out, do not constitute 'discussion' and do nothing to add to this forum.  Not to put too fine a point on it, IMO, they actually detract from it.

You will have to explain that to me in plainer English for me to understand it. I am not making accusations rather the opposite. :o

Here is the post. The link was posted under community.

You won't be the first.
Not only has upset people on DP Review but also in his own community but some people do seem to care about him.....

Shooty   
14/06/2000

Hi, my name is Shooty.  I am looking for a guy named Floyd L.
Davidson of  Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska).  Floyd L. Davidson of
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) used to post to this newsgroup, but
he's suddenly stopped, and I'm becoming worried for his safety.
As best I can tell, Floyd L. Davidson of  Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
hasn't posted for nearly four whole hours.  So I'm sure you can
understand my concern.

If case you don't know who Floyd L. Davidson of  Ukpeagvik
(Barrow, Alaska) is, he's the poster who hates Anchorage with all
his heart, but loves Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) and its environs so
much that he never leaves his computer long enough to ever make
it to his front door.

Where's Floyd?

Shooty
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:22:44 am by stamper »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2013, 12:15:55 pm »

... the link I posted in Reply#36 has already been posted in Reply#19...

Coincidentally, the link in question leads to a blog of a LuLa member.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up