Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo Contest! Why?  (Read 2494 times)

Phil Indeblanc

Photo Contest! Why?
« on: October 24, 2013, 12:49:17 pm »

Most of the photo contests I see online look like they are BS. There are those that have winners based on how they can find the image useful in a marketing spot, or simply the popularity vote from as many friends the person may have, Then others charging lots of money for submission.

A few times the winners of PDN were surely not worthy. Seeing images for so many years, I would say 1 out 5 or more were just a give away award.
There were much better shooters they could have selected.
I still think PDN is one of the better from the "commercialized" options. There is another I have heard of being the most honorable; Lucie Awards.

Any one know of contests that are actually reputable? I remember Lexjet a couple years back did a contest, and they had some great images to pick from, yet they somehow justified picking some random basic pic. I think it was of a van with people in front at a beach like scene. There was NOTHING wrong with the picture, but if participants dont have a subject guideline, then the contest has little merit...other than pleasing the judge or somehow a group of judges. Then there is a site See.me.com or something, and they have a nice setup, but all the contests work is from the popular vote. What a waste.  Any good ones with somewhat of a theme would be good to know about. I sometimes think I can use exposure or some marketing badge for mass people who don't know any better to get the sense of assurance, false or otherwise. Maybe it increases the exposure to get more work?

What are awards for?
You feel the need to measure yourself among others to have a say you are better.
You want to be recognized
You need a award to feel you are good at what you do
You want to use the award to help market yourself

any others?
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

AFairley

Re: Photo Contest! Why?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 05:02:09 pm »

Speaking of contests, LensRentals is running a worthy contest.    ;D

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/10/the-first-annual-photogeek-geek-photo-contest

(apologies for drifting OT on the second post of the thread)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 05:29:48 pm »

Why do people compete, from the dawn of the mankind? Heck, even animals compete.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 12:40:44 pm »

Slobodan, I think in some cases, maybe many(specially new comers), you are right. But I don't think photography is really a sport. I mean specially now the techniques have come down to equipment, and expereince with it, then it is subjective mostly, with some rules and guidelinse (to a degree) that create something esthetically pleasing. Also now with so much more content and the ACCESS to it, seeing street pictures of India is rather passe.

Photography as a sport.....I guess I can always challenge myself and my reaction ability to take the "impossible" shot, and I do that. But lets say we have a specific or loosely specific theme, or guideline, I think surely there can be a better image. But what is being measured? Who is measuring it? And out of hundreds of images or thousands, there is no doubt in my mind that there are at least 10 that are just as nice as the other. What is the next level of criteria that makes the selected winner?  Is it the marketability of the persons name (I have yet to see a PDN winner with a strange name, I'm not saying they filter it, but I haven't). Is it their location, the themes image they want to use for a cover or promo, or even commercial use?  Maybe all these, and if so, isn't it more of a chances game, not really a measure of competing?

I'll take a look at the link AFairley

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 12:51:55 pm »

When comes to exploitative competitions this one is really taking the piss.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 02:35:15 pm »

WOW, that is horrible! I see the damage control department at the end does something about it, but damage is done. They can help get out of that hole if they become the flip side of that original contract, not just make the embarrassing corrections. I will think twice about who I send my folks off on a cruise :-P  They need a better legal department.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 04:37:35 pm »

Damage control is half hearted at best. The hole is simply not quite as deep.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 01:32:00 pm »

Slobodan, I think in some cases, maybe many (specially new comers), you are right. But I don't think photography is really a sport...

... I think surely there can be a better image. But what is being measured? Who is measuring it? And out of hundreds of images or thousands, there is no doubt in my mind that there are at least 10 that are just as nice as the other. What is the next level of criteria that makes the selected winner?  Is it the marketability of the persons name (I have yet to see a PDN winner with a strange name, I'm not saying they filter it, but I haven't). Is it their location, the themes image they want to use for a cover or promo, or even commercial use?  Maybe all these, and if so, isn't it more of a chances game, not really a measure of competing?

Phil,

My reference to competing was not meant just for sports. Humans (and animals) constantly compete: for mating partners, food, territory, survival. Humans also compete for prestige, power, influence, achievement, etc., in many other areas, not just sport: business, academia, science, arts. Certain animosities and aggressive competitiveness among famous artists, scientist, professors, etc. are well documented.

As for how (and by whom) it is measured in photography, the answer is rather simple: with a great dose of subjectivity. And yes, that also means a bigger role of chance that we are ready to admit. Such is life in general. Or, to resort to a sport metaphor again, there are sports with rather objective measurements: speed races for instance, or games with score. However, there are sports where judges' subjectivity plays a significant role: figure skating, gymnastics, synchronized swimming, etc.

As for criteria, you are right, they can vary from marketability to political correctness, with which I have a personal experience (with apologies to older members for reposting the anecdote):

Three years ago, I got an email congratulating me on being shortlisted in the top 10 in the contest for the cover of the Rangefinder magazine. One of the 10 would end up on the cover, but the rest would still be published inside. A day or two later, I got an email retracting the previous one. Not on technical or clerical grounds, but on the grounds of one of the most unbelievable political correctness and affirmative action examples i personally experienced: the organizers complained that there was not a single women photographer among the top ten! Never mind that the jurying was blind (i.e., no name or gender was known to the judges). Never mind that some female contestants protested they feel insulted and patronized that they are not going to win on the strength of their photography, but on their gender. They decided, post-factum, after already announcing the results, to go for a little affirmative action, reshuffled the cards and came back with something like 5/5 or 6/4 ratio. Needless to say, I was among the four or five booted out. This was the photo in question, btw (the theme was "exceptional light" or similar):

The L Train by Slobodan Blagojevic, on Flickr

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 04:49:39 pm »

That's exactly why I refuse to enter a juried show, Slobodan. As I told the entrants for the two shows I judged a couple years ago: "I never enter juried shows because the judges always turn out to be insane." I broke my rule once two years ago because there was a show on the Western Slope that was going to be juried by Steve McCurry. Didn't win, but at least I had some faith in Steve's judgment.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 04:55:54 pm »

We are all underestimated geniuses ....  ;)
And individuals too !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQqq3e03EBQ

Cheers
~Chris

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 06:10:16 pm »

hehe...Slobodan. I saw this on your Flickr and myfav among the (rocks&water-bull, yatch view) before I knew. Light timing/chance on that pic is great, as well as the composition.

RSl: What shows are there other than juried? popularity? If its popularity then all one needs is good social networking and personality.

Christoph, the word "genius" is mostly a word among those like freedom, terrori$t, and all the other words that are used for guiding the masses, just like in that video. :-)
That's a good one! We know knowledge and advancement is hardly ever a doing of one person. It is most often accumulated knowledge. We just glorify the person to be glorified for other reasons at the time.
Look at who we give credit to for inventions who we call geniuses, look at the many labs that are conducted be 50 chemists under 1 so called genius that we end up giving some some prize that we hold to a goddly level.
Its simply marketing ideas.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:55:21 am by Phil Indeblanc »
Pages: [1]   Go Up