Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on Monitors  (Read 1416 times)

Ed Blagden

Advice on Monitors
« on: October 24, 2013, 06:08:27 am »

Hi

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting a decent monitor.  Currently I'm using an ancient BenQ 17" LCD Display connected to my Windows 7 64 laptop, calibrated using an old Spyder2 Express Colorimeter and doing all my photo editing in LR, and using canned profiles for my HP9180 printer.  Better than nothing but I am having issues with prints, especially matching brightness - often the prints come out too dark.

So I'm thinking about getting a decent monitor and the Colormunki Photo kit and start getting serious about colour management.  The question is which monitor?  Yes I know that NEC or Eizo are the gold standard but the trouble is I live in Kenya and neither NEC nor Eizo have a local distributor so that pretty much rules them out.  So that leaves me with either Dell or LG to choose from, both of which have local dealer support.

My first question is about monitor size.  Obviously anything will seem huge compared to my current setup (17") but is there any significant advantage in getting a 27" monitor as opposed to 23" or 24"?  I do all my work in LR and the images are all 24MP from my EOS5DII.  Obviously the bigger monitors are quite a bit more expensive - but does the extra size deliver any significant benefits in terms of workflow?

Second question is impossibly general, but what do I get??  Based on my web reading I know that IPS is a must.  Does anyone have experience of the Dell Ultrasharp range or the LG IPS Monitors?  

I would really appreciate any input.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:21:48 am by Ed Blagden »

D Fosse

Re: Advice on Monitors
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 02:54:54 pm »

The Dell Ultrasharps are excellent on paper. In reality not always. Their procedures for quality control leave a lot to be desired:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19526218.aspx
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19269971.aspx?dgc=EM&cid=266809&lid=4934734

This has been a common and recurrent problem with Dells for years. If you have a local dealer, insist on unpacking one unit and test it for screen uniformity issues. Bring that particular unit home if it's OK.

In general, if you're on a budget as most of us are, going down in size will buy you more quality for the same price.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:56:59 pm by D Fosse »

degrub

Re: Advice on Monitors
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 08:27:53 pm »

NEC PA series. Pick your size, with spectraview and puck. Best bang for your buck and very good ips display. Do a search here for more comments on the PA series.

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up