Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Collection of Mayan Prints  (Read 717 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Collection of Mayan Prints
« on: October 23, 2013, 03:57:23 pm »

One of my photography professors made numerous trips to photograph the Mayan Culture. He [we] printed about 100 prints upwards of 20x30 for an exhibit and now he would like to donate the entire exhibit. The prints are matted but without frames. Does anyone have an idea of what university or museum would be interested in receiving this collection?
Mike

slackercruster

Re: Collection of Mayan Prints
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 06:24:02 pm »

I take it you wish to donate the items? If not, it is very, very hard to sell anything to a museum unless they are really after it.

You have to go through a list of museums  or special collection libraries that are collecting that type of work and write the curators with sample photos or a CD of the entire collection. If you can't find a curator, try the registrar. The director usually does not deal with this. I have had poor luck with writing directors, they must trash the offers as fast as they arrive.

Here are 3 sources...and don't forget to work worldwide:

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/museums-us.html

http://dir.yahoo.com/arts/museums__galleries__and_centers/colleges_and_universities/

http://www.thebestcolleges.org/amazing-libraries/

It is lots of work and expense, unless you get lucky and find a home early on.

Another source to try is an archivist forum. That is where many collecting institutions hang out. I was on one, but they banned me. I guess I pestered them too much with donation offers.

I've spent the entire year working almost full time and many days overtime on placing my work. I got portfolios of photographs into 40 institutions so far for 2013...but I contacted close to 462 or so prospects. That is a pretty high rejection rate of 91.4% and my work is top notch social documentary work. So the rejection rate is very high, even with exceptional work.

The rejection rate would be much higher if I didn't pre-screen the placements very well. I only contacted institutions that actually collect photographs and had collections that impressed me. I learned early on it does no good offering donations to a non collecting prospect.

You only have a few weeks to work, better get going. Between pre-Thanksgiving to around the end of January, don't bother soliciting...they are out cold. Same with summer. Best times are spring and fall to write for placements. Then you sometimes have to wait 3 to 6 months before the acquisition committee meets to vote on acceptance. But for your work, since it does not sound like original art, they may work quicker. I will be writing a book on this subject in a year or so. I want to finish my photo books and museum placements first.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 06:47:18 pm by slackercruster »
Pages: [1]   Go Up