Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spectraview and Mavericks...  (Read 10222 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Spectraview and Mavericks...
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:19:41 pm »

So far its a no go.  Just an FYI.
Craig Lamson Photo

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: Spectraview and Mavericks...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 03:34:08 am »

So far its a no go.  Just an FYI.

Craig, can you elaborate? Does Spectraview software fail to communicate with the monitor? How are you connected - DVI? or USB? Which model screen?

I have been burned by upgrades before with SpectraView so it would be very good to know all the details before upgrading to Mavericks.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:44:13 am »

It  just crashed when opening the spectraview software.  I just went and upgraded the the latest version od Spectraview and it seem so to work fine.

I upgraded my Mini to Mavericks first, as I'm in the middle of a bunch of customer work on my other machine.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:46:54 am by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 11:43:18 am »

The latest version 1.1.16 of SpectraView II must be used on Mavericks. Earlier versions will crash due to a conflict with some of the color sensor libraries and some of the architecture changes in OS 10.9. Support for the Datacolor Sypder devices is disabled in SpectraView II 1.1.16 only on Mavericks, and this will be re-enabled in an upcoming update to address this issue.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 10:56:48 pm »

So after installing mavericks, the spectraview software requires me to install a Java SE 6 runtime.  I guess I'm confused, because I have the Java 7 runtime installed and operating correctly (I think).  Is this correct or am I doing something wrong.  I'm not real familiar with Java but under 10.8 the software worked fine and I know I had Java 7 running then, but maybe java 6 was still available from previous installs, or maybe I'm just missing something when launching it now ...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:17:07 pm by Wayne Fox »

Josh-H

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 12:47:50 am »

So after installing mavericks, the spectraview software requires me to install a Java SE 6 runtime.  I guess I'm confused, because I have the Java 7 runtime installed and operating correctly (I think).  Is this correct or am I doing something wrong.  I'm not real familiar with Java but under 10.8 the software worked fine and I know I had Java 7 running then, but maybe java 6 was still available from previous installs, or maybe I'm just missing something when launching it now ...

Yes I got that message as well - installed Java as prompted and its been working fine ever since *shrug*
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 01:03:13 am »

I had already installed java, but to solve my problem I had to install the Java for OS X 2013-005 file from Apple.  Java preference pane still shows I'm running Java 7-45 so not exactly sure what it installed or what I have on the machine, but spectraview now launches OK.  I haven't tried to calibrate yet, later tonight.

Josh-H

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 06:42:37 am »

You shouldn't have any issues with latest version of SpectraView II with Mavericks. Will H. who I think is one of the senior technical people posted already that its fully compatible. Ive already profiled two systems with Spectraview and Mavericks without issue.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Gerald J Skrocki

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 02:07:08 pm »

So in conclusion in case others are struggling.  After installing Mavericks, I installed Java from the Java site.  This installed Java Runtime SE 7 update 45.  I then launched Spectraview, and was greeted with the dialog that I must install Java Runtime 6.  Clicking the continue button results in no software found.  after much searching I found no conclusion, but I recalled that until Java 7, Java was distributed for OS X by Apple.  That's how I found the installer in the above message.

After installing this "java" Spectraview launched fine, and operated fine.  Calibrated the monitor with no issues.  What actually "fixed" the problem I do not know, because Java was running and available according to the Java preference pane before the install of Apple's java which didn't change the version of Java running (7 update 45 was not overwritten by the Apple Java install).

Somehow Spectraview just couldn't see Java as being available until after that.

nikcap

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 02:46:26 am »

I am trying not to install any Java SE products on my Mac with Mavericks.  Is there any way to run Spectraview II(newest version) without installing Java?

I downloaded Multiprofiler(MP) and my questions are:

What does MP actually do?  Is it taking the settings/readings from the monitor and generating a suitable rendition similar to what a color calibration puck would do?

Under Picture Mode do I select SpectraviewII setting or AdobeRGB?  I previously set up a ICC profile using i1display 2.

And what does it do better/equal/worse than Spectraview II?

Thanks.

Josh-H

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 05:45:13 am »

I am trying not to install any Java SE products on my Mac with Mavericks.  Is there any way to run Spectraview II(newest version) without installing Java?

No.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 02:05:43 pm »

The idea of avoiding Java completely is certainly understandable.

the main risk of Java is malicious code being executed while visiting on online site through a browser.  I believe you can install the Java runtime on the machine, but disable the ability of browser (safari) to execute java, thus making it possible to run spectraview. You can do this in the Java preference pane, which affects all installed browsers. There is also a setting which allows you some control over which Java content, for example the highest setting Java will only be allowed to run applications identified by a valid certificate. If it is disabled in your browser then I believe the only java that can run are specific programs you launch, such as spectraview.

I do believe that since Apple has moved the responsibility for keeping Java updated to Oracle with Java 7, security updates from discovered vulnerabilities are much more timely.  There is a lot of web content that requires java, and there are some legitimate Java applications such as spectraview (one big one in the photo industry is ROES, used by almost every major lab as the portal to ordering prints. )  I’ve decided to enable it, but have it set to that highest security setting. 

I may regret that some day but to be honest I’ve never been bitten by a Java breach in many many years, so I’m not overly concerned.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 12:27:06 pm »

You shouldn't have any issues with latest version of SpectraView II with Mavericks. Will H. who I think is one of the senior technical people posted already that its fully compatible. Ive already profiled two systems with Spectraview and Mavericks without issue.
Ditto, no issues on this end AFTER upgrading to the latest version of SpectraView II (previous version will just crash).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

JS001

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 08:07:04 am »

I am wondering if someone could assist.  I have updated my Mac Pro to OSX 10.9.2.  I have an NEC Multisync LCD 2690WUXi2 that I calibrate using the Spectraview II Software with an Eye One Display 2.

Up to now it has worked fine.  Tonight when I recalibrated the monitor using spectra view II  I noticed that the display colours were over saturated. I went to Settings / Display and noticed an error message "Bad Read" or similar at the bottom of the profile list was selected.  I located a profile LCD2690WUXi2 in the list of profiles.  When I selected this the colour reverted to normal.  The only thing is I can't tell whether this is the most recent profile.  I clicked on "Open" profile and it indicated that the profile was created on this day two months ago.  The Spectraview software doesn't seem to have an option to rename the profile or save it in a particular folder.

I then had an idea to update the Spectravision II Software which informed me that version 1.1.17 was available.  I clicked download but it is downloading much too slowly which indicates there is an issue with it.

howardm

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 08:22:22 am »

I downloaded 1.1.17 about 2 days ago and had no download problems so it must be something on your end.  I'm not running 10.9 on my iMac so can't advise re: Mavericks.

JS001

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 06:02:36 am »

I managed to download and install the latest version of the Software.  I recalibrated the monitor however the result seems a little over saturated in Lightroom and Photoshop. The main difference I can see between the old and new interface is that 1.1.17 has a "Colour Gamut" field which is set to Native (Full) by default.

I want to get some images of my children printed on Canvass for mothers day.  I haven't printed to canvass before am wondering whether I should create another profile target with a lower contrast ratio. 

howardm

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 06:57:47 am »

what do you currently/usually use as a contrast ratio?  I setup mine for about 300:1 for lustre-y and less for matte.

You're not leaving yourself a lot of time to get it done (and possibly re-done) and framed for Mother's day.

JS001

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 08:38:54 am »

Till now I have used the default contrast ratio but have never printed to canvass. You are right I haven't left myself a lot of time.

howardm

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 11:06:25 am »

Till now I have used the default contrast ratio but have never printed to canvass. You are right I haven't left myself a lot of time.

I think the default is something like 800 ?  I'd urge you to make a profile or two at much lower ratios like 300 or 250 or so.  It only takes a couple
of minutes and it's much closer to what the actual media will print as.
Pages: [1]   Go Up