Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any OS X Mavericks issues crop up yet.  (Read 22802 times)

BJL

OS X Mavericks: late 2009 MacBook running hot on games
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 10:38:53 am »

Thanks elo.

Anyway, I can wait for 10.9.1 and see if that makes things better. OS 10.9 is meant to improve energy efficiency in general ... but in ways that are probably not so relevant to "constant activity" tasks like games.

elolaugesen

Re: Any OS X Mavericks issues crop up yet.
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2013, 11:37:33 am »

I have now backed her maverick system up and is trying it out on my macmin with gb but using usb3 disc drive 7200 rpm.

Interesting to see how her games behaves.   
So far the photoshop etc seem to be ok

jduncan

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 03:20:36 pm »

english is not my first language, an I k

elolaugesen

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2013, 03:41:29 pm »

Installed the 8gb of memory on macbook late 2009.     No issues so far.    No loud fans yet.......

jonathanlung

Re: Mavericks and Python: as usual, a third-party download is advised
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 03:02:53 pm »

OS X has never done well with its pre-installed Python, so I offer the standard suggestion: download from the source http://www.python.org/download/
Alternatively, use one of many other free bundles. My favorite is Anaconda, for its comprehensiveness: http://continuum.io/downloads (It is free despite its commercial host).

Thanks -- actually, all three of my Python installations broke (built-in, custom 2.7, and 3), although an update was made recently to the prebuilt cPythons.

More broken software: it also turns out that the Intel HAXM is broken in 10.9 -- explaining why my Android emulator has been running very slowly.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/477793

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2013, 08:25:55 am »

Adobe After Effects 12.1 (CC) is broken under Mavericks. The updated CS6 version of AE works fine.

elolaugesen

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2013, 10:01:32 am »

some more information re fans running faster/contiuously  with Maverick

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23601354#23601354

Yes I did it and now I will never know if my other's half computer fans ran hot because lack of memory or the reset.

I could of course reverse the memory upgrade.     But lets not tempt fate    it appears to work fine now

mbaginy

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2013, 02:08:51 pm »

No problems with LR5 or CS6.  But since the update, I can't stream any Apple TV movies out of iTunes properly.  Every film shuts off after about ten minutes.  A real pain trying to watch a two-hour film like that!!

elolaugesen

Re: Any OS X Mavericks issues crop up yet. Eizo Software upgrade
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2013, 03:49:28 pm »

New version 6.4.5 released
Patch to make it work with maverick
downloaded applied it to 10.8.5    it seems to work fine

will not install maverick until I see a maintenance release..
will then install patch..(after verifying it is still necessary)

cheers elo
ps..  I also posted it on colour management site...

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2013, 07:06:28 am »

My late 2012 iMac 27" i7 32gb ram no longer hibernates even after clean install of Mavericks. Apple tech is involved but they have not figured it out yet.

Even the utility PleaseSleep doesn't work.

Anyone else having this issue?

Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

westfreeman

• West Freeman Photography
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2013, 11:22:02 pm »

The biggest issues that I had were of the printing nature.

I had to update all drivers for my Canon iPF-5000
I did it via updates for the 10.8 for the iPF-5000 then the updates for the 10.9 update for iPF-5100.
Kind of odd but it did work in the end. 

Might be end of life (software wise) for this printer.  I just printed lots of prints for a recent show and they were great.

jljonathan

Anyone using OSX Mavericks?
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2013, 04:07:56 pm »

I am considering whether to upgrade to Mavericks and was wondering if anyone who using it might comment on any problems or benefits that they have experienced. For instance, will LR5 PSCC and other photo editing software that you may be using work with Mavericks? And, have you experienced any software that won't. For instance, I use Spectraview II with a NEC LCD 2690 and wondering if it would effect the calibration software, etc.

[Moderator's note: I have merged two overlapping topics here]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:46:32 pm by Chris Sanderson »

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Re: Anyone using OSX Mavericks?
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2013, 06:29:11 pm »

will LR5 PSCC and other photo editing software that you may be using work with Mavericks?

PS CC and LR 5.X work just fine with Mavericks.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Anyone using OSX Mavericks?
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2013, 07:03:07 pm »

PS CC and LR 5.X work just fine with Mavericks.
Yes but Mavericks does introduce a bug whereby the soft proof in the Print dialog is wrong. Not a big deal, soft proofing within Photoshop proper is correct, just ignore what you see in the Print dialog.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2013, 01:33:13 pm »

Built in SD card reader is not working with OS X Mavericks on my Macbook Pro 2.5GHz laptop though the system recognizes it and reads SD cards via a cheap external USB reader or direct from my camera... looking for a solution I can see many other Mac owners have encountered the same problem. Some advise the fix for this is (a) poking a toothpick into the slot to toggle a secret switch (b) compressed air (c) requires iphoto to be purchased from apple store and installed (d)... go figure?

Also, I was disappointed but not very surprised to find the old Epson Raw software that I use for black and white processing of raw files from my Epson RD1 refused to work with Mavericks as according to the explanation that popped up in a big box on my screen it is not compatible with this version of Mac OS X, so you can imagine how happy I got when I reloaded the program and much to my surprise it worked!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:34:51 pm by lowep »

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2013, 04:25:24 pm »

Built in SD card reader is not working with OS X Mavericks on my Macbook Pro 2.5GHz laptop though the system recognizes it and reads SD cards via a cheap external USB reader or direct from my camera... looking for a solution I can see many other Mac owners have encountered the same problem. Some advise the fix for this is (a) poking a toothpick into the slot to toggle a secret switch (b) compressed air (c) requires iphoto to be purchased from apple store and installed (d)... go figure?

Fortunately, this is the type of bug Apple will definitely fix.  Unfortunately, the company (1) probably won't publicly acknowledge its existence prior to fixing it or (2) announce in advance the schedule for releasing a patch.

One of the most frustrating things about Apple is its pathological lack of communication with customers regarding software problems.  I can understand the obsession with secrecy regarding product plans, but refusing to acknowledge bugs is inexcusable (with the exception of a small subset involving security vulnerabilities for which an exploit is not yet in the wild: it makes sense to keep those secret).

Apple has behaved this way for years and it doesn't appear the new management has any intention of changing the policy.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up