Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Any OS X Mavericks issues crop up yet.  (Read 22796 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Any OS X Mavericks issues crop up yet.
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 05:23:31 pm »

Some users—myself included—are experiencing issues with multiple monitors following the upgrade to OS X 10.9.  From what I've been reading, these range from minor nuisances to serious irritations, depending on the types of video connectors and perhaps some other hardware characteristics.

My own problems fall within the former category: application windows that open on a display other than the one where I want them to be and subsequently fail to stick after a reboot.  But if you use more than a single monitor, you may want to check the latest published reports before committing to the 10.9 upgrade.  (I won't provide sample URLs here, since new ones keep appearing; a Google or Bing search should provide what you need to know.)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 07:26:39 pm »

Maybe it is me, but Quicklook is not able to display d800e NEF's in Maverick

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 07:35:25 am »

Some users—myself included—are experiencing issues with multiple monitors following the upgrade to OS X 10.9.  From what I've been reading, these range from minor nuisances to serious irritations, depending on the types of video connectors and perhaps some other hardware characteristics.
Just when I thought Apple had finally twigged that some people use more than one monitor and let the OS finally work properly with more than one screen, I discover a serious gotcha. You cannot stretch a window/programme across two monitors. Just tried to view a panorama someone had posted at full size and you can only see half of it at a time.
Doesn't seem to be a glitch as after some experimentation, it seems designed that way - by a moron.

This video shows the issue and some others. A case of one step forward two steps back.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 07:52:30 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

BJL

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 02:59:36 pm »

Just when I thought Apple had finally twigged that some people use more than one monitor and let the OS finally work properly with more than one screen, I discover a serious gotcha. You cannot stretch a window/programme across two monitors. Just tried to view a panorama someone had posted at full size and you can only see half of it at a time.
Doesn't seem to be a glitch as after some experimentation, it seems designed that way - by a moron.

This video shows the issue and some others. A case of one step forward two steps back.
According to this article (near the end) you can get what you want by disabling the new default of "independent spaces for each display":
http://www.macworld.com/article/2042936/hands-on-with-os-x-mavericks-multiple-display-support.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 03:01:13 pm by BJL »

jjj

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 03:07:53 pm »

Cheers, I shall test that when I'm back on my Mavericks test drive.

elolaugesen

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 03:28:54 pm »

using photoshop I can take an image andshow half one screen and the other half on the other screen…

but..  make sure in display preferences that you allocate the screens correctly  left and right or else it will not work.  first time nothing worked then I fixed it in preferences.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 03:33:45 pm »

I'm still running 10.6 on my iMac and printing on an Epson 3800. Has anyone been able to print to a 3800 from Mavericks? I'd like to make the big jump, but not if it disables my printer... :)

Thanks!
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

jjj

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 05:03:28 pm »

According to this article (near the end) you can get what you want by disabling the new default of "independent spaces for each display":
http://www.macworld.com/article/2042936/hands-on-with-os-x-mavericks-multiple-display-support.html
Tried it and it means I can indeed place a programme across two screens, but then it knackers the new multi-monitor support, so back to square one.
OSX still cannot handle multi-monitors as well as Windows could last century, which is utterly pathetic.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:05:50 pm by jjj »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 02:58:30 pm »

SMB2 (accessing windows shares) support is pretty broken.  If you are using smb://server_name/share_name - try changing it to SMB (1)  equivalent CIFS  cifs://server_name/share_name

jduncan

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 08:56:49 pm »

Hi team,

Drobos need new firmware and new version of the dashboard. Already on the Drobo site.

I  am still holding for some time more before doing moving from M. Lion so I have not test that they work.

Best regards,

J. Duncan
english is not my first language, an I k

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2013, 10:01:03 pm »

It appears that the Ambient Monitoring on my ColorMunki has not been working since the update to Maverick.

jonathanlung

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 10:26:44 pm »

Mavericks breaks perl and Python. If you've got some scripts, you'll need to use some workarounds to get them to rin.

bobpet

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 03:31:24 am »

since I installed Mavericks, Bridge won't  let me see Bridge preferences - i get a write permissions error

I have repaired permissions, but that didn't help

No other problems

I need to get into Bridge prtfs to have an app at the start up of Bridge

sharperstill

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 03:44:00 am »

Yes, if you can't find iCal look for 'Calendar'. Also one folder of bookmarks was emptied, which seems odd.

jduncan

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 10:44:08 am »

Mavericks breaks perl and Python. If you've got some scripts, you'll need to use some workarounds to get them to rin.

It seems that with Perl the solution is easy:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19565553/problems-with-perl-dbi-dbd-on-osx-10-9-mavericks-solved

I don't use python.

Best regards,

J. Duncan
english is not my first language, an I k

BJL

Mavericks and Python: as usual, a third-party download is advised
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 11:27:41 am »

OS X has never done well with its pre-installed Python, so I offer the standard suggestion: download from the source http://www.python.org/download/
Alternatively, use one of many other free bundles. My favorite is Anaconda, for its comprehensiveness: http://continuum.io/downloads (It is free despite its commercial host).

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2013, 11:48:11 am »

For those using ImagePrint, it will need to be updated to the latest version. Even with the update though, I'm having trouble accessing different internal hard drives.

elolaugesen

« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 04:53:52 pm »

Being an old technocrat in both large main frame computers(IBM) and PC's/Apple  I have never ever moved to a new version of an operating system until version 2 or 3 came out with all the initial fixes.

My art printing for clients and my other half depends on this machine, and it does the job.

So to test new software like Maverick I shove it on my other half's macbook to see how it works, with all the new software.

this time she objected, the machine is running hotter and hotter not responding well and it does not feel right…..

will go to backup for her tomorrow morning and wait for  additional memory and version 2…  then test it on her system again…

to all out there.  always make sure you have at least two working(each tested) backups on different drives before going to a new system.  time machine is only one backup …...not enough.

cheers elo
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:55:36 pm by elolaugesen »

BJL

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 06:45:11 pm »

So to test new software like Maverick I shove it on my other half's macbook to see how it works, with all the new software.

this time she objected, the machine is running hotter and hotter not responding well and it does not feel right…..
What model of MacBook is this? I have had no problems with my 2011 MacBook, but plan to upgrade a bunch of different models, so it would be nice to know which ones to leave alone for now.

elolaugesen

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2013, 04:27:01 am »

reply to request for macbook with hot and hotter and hotter   (remember as I said this is running a game but no action)

Macbook late 2009 unibody, 4gb,  later in a day or two 8gb.  model 6,1

it ran hot with lion but not as much or with the fan running and sounding like a jet engine….

the new graphics using more memory did not take effect still the same 256 or so that the nvidia 9400m uses...

cheers elo
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up