Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac OS X Mavericks + Epson Printer Driver  (Read 10791 times)

huluvu

Mac OS X Mavericks + Epson Printer Driver
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:32:31 pm »

Hi,

I just upgraded my Mac mini to the newest OS X Mavericks release.
My Stylus Pro 7880 appeared normally in the system settings printer panel but I decided to re-install it manually to make sure the OS uses the correct driver.

I re-added the printer but it won't show up in the list of installed printers (it doesn't even give an error code).

After that I checked epson.com for an updated Mavericks driver--which is supposedly to be released soon.

Any experience on your side(s) about the quickness of Epson's driver wizards after a new OS comes around?

Thanks!

John Chardine

• chardine photography
Re: Mac OS X Mavericks + Epson Printer Driver
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:52:23 am »

Let's hope Epson lives up to its word and brings out a Mavericks-compatible driver for your printer soon.

It goes without saying that you should not have installed Mavericks without having some sort of fall-back. I think the other mistake you made was to attempt to re-install the printer driver. I say this because I've done a bit of research at home with Mavericks and my SP7600 and the driver that was installed with Mountain Lion works fine with Mavericks. Your printer is different and maybe this is significant, but Mavericks is not a big OS upgrade and it stands to reason that older drivers should still work.

For those who think I was fool-hard to try this, I have two Macs and decided to try Mavericks only on one of them. On it I made sure I had a very recent Time Machine backup. I then installed Mavericks for testing and can report that the old Epson driver for the 7600 seems to work fine in Mavericks. I've made some test prints, run the nozzle check and cleaning from the computer- all good.

huluvu

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 01:01:22 pm »

Call me lucky!

It just started working again after another try today. The printer appears in system settings like it should. Printing works. Color Management is working flawlessly.
False alarm!

And you're obviously right about having a fallback in case something breaks upon updating the OS--I would have used my laptop instead of my mini but now I luckily don't have to :)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 10:24:01 pm »

Good to know.  I haven't upgraded my studio MacPro yet - but I did on my MacBook Pro.  I've had a couple issues with email loosing a password, but otherwise everything seems to be working fine.  I'll still wait a couple week before upgrading the studio Mac... don't want to take any unnecessary chances!
Mike Guilbault

Jim Metzger

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 12:31:29 am »

John,

As an owner of a 7600 I thank you for this info.

Jim

durrace

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 02:10:21 pm »

I need to re-add my Epson Pro 3800 under OS X Mavericks and it can't find a driver.  Epson says "driver coming soon", but it looks like it's been "coming soon" for some time.  Is there a work around, or am I out of a printer for x months???   Thanks in advance.

durrace

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 11:28:36 pm »

I downloaded the driver and installed it ... but trying to add the 3800 still does't come up with any drivers??  I've attached a screen grab .. dunno if it will show up here.

mac_paolo

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 01:53:30 am »

I own an Epson R3000.
Upgraded to Mavericks without any issue. Prints come out just like on Mountain Lion.

durrace

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 10:40:30 am »

I was able to print also, even though the printing from the driver showed disabled in the driver settings.  I deleted the printer from the settings thinking adding it would fix the problem, but haven't been able to add it again because Mavericks says no driver available, and Epson says "it's coming".

kirkt

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 11:09:06 am »

The US Epson site has a new driver available for the 3880.

Driver v 9.17

kirk

RachelleK

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 11:35:42 am »

The US Epson site has a new driver available for the 3880.

Driver v 9.17

kirk

And new firmware P030D8.  Has anyone tried it?

duraace

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 11:37:01 am »

I just download 9.17 for the 3800 and installed it.  Can't see it works until I get home, so the os can see the printer.  Should Mavericks see the driver now when I click Add the printer, or do I need to drill down to where the driver is and manually click on it??

durrace

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 01:17:46 pm »

I just download 9.17 for the 3800 and installed it.  Can't see it works until I get home, so the os can see the printer.  Should Mavericks see the driver now when I click Add the printer, or do I need to drill down to where the driver is and manually click on it??

Got it installed ... had to work with Epson support on the phone to repair systems files (delete), restart, etc.   The problem I have now, and this may be a Lightroom issue ... in the printer settings, Color and Color settings are disabled, so I cannot toggle driver printing Off or On.  Anyone?  I have the latest golden master release.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 02:01:22 pm »

When adding an Epson Professional printer with OS X, I find it more reliable to not select the printer when it shows in the nearby printers list when clicking the + button, but to select Add Printer or Scanner and then select it from the next dialog. Seems otherwise Apples generic driver gets loaded some of the time.

I also have found that instead of using the Bonjour option  the Epson TCPIP choice can solve a some random problems.  It will take 30 seconds or so to show up in the list.  This has solved random problems with the printer being there, but the job never seeming to arrive at the printer. I think this issue is related local network issues, because Bonjour works fine under most circumstances.

durrace

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 02:08:34 pm »

It appears the latest Lightroom does not allow you to use both application managed and printer manage at the same time ... Eric Chan's B&W .icc profiles require both to be selected.  Any ideas?

Farmer

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 05:09:50 pm »

Durrace - this has been the case for quite some time and reflects changes in the operating system paradigm.  The same is also true on Windows, except it can be overridden there but can't on OS X.

There are numerous threads of considerable length on the topic, so a forum search may help - try searching on Eric Chan and ABW and Epson as a start - hope that helps.
Phil Brown

durrace

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 07:14:23 pm »

Durrace - this has been the case for quite some time and reflects changes in the operating system paradigm.  The same is also true on Windows, except it can be overridden there but can't on OS X.

There are numerous threads of considerable length on the topic, so a forum search may help - try searching on Eric Chan and ABW and Epson as a start - hope that helps.

Will do thanks for the reply!

Farmer

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 07:24:01 pm »

Of course if that fails, come back to us and I'm sure we can help :-)
Phil Brown

durrace

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 10:42:24 pm »

I couldn't find any relatively recent entries containing Eric Chan; however, i printed some photos using ABW mode and they look perfect, so I'm going with that.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up