Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mac Pro specs are out  (Read 1570 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
New Mac Pro specs are out
« on: October 22, 2013, 06:28:35 pm »

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/

Thoughts?

Personally.. Im concerned about the lack of options for external Thunderbolt two NAS chasis's. Would have preferred to see Apple have some sort of offering in this space to match up with the new mac pro. Not thrilled at the hard limitation on 64gig of ram either...

Edit - Once Again Australian's get royally shafted on pricing by Apple....AUD Pricing on new Mac Pro
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:33:46 am by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: New Mac Pro specs are out
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 07:29:33 pm »

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/

Thoughts?

It's a well-balanced machine.  There was a time—quite a few years ago now—when HP, IBM and Sun manufactured workstation-class desktop computers that were designed so there was no single performance-limiting component: you hit a number of bottlenecks simultaneously.  No individual device inside the box was holding you back.

The mass market for WIntel PCs made this kind of hardware engineering superfluous: not only could you throw as much performance into the enclosure as you wanted, the more-or-less open architecture made it possible to upgrade individual parts whenever new components became affordable.  The machines weren't "balanced" in the traditional sense (i.e., you could almost always easily identify the deficient component), but, as we used to joke when I worked for a U.S. federal agency, they were "good enough for gummint work."

My only serious concern about the new Mac Pro is the 64 GB memory limitation.  On a top-of-the-line 12-core model, that's insufficient real memory, in my opinion.  (For 64-bit machines, I consider 8 GB/core to be an acceptable minimum.)  On the other hand, with very fast flash as secondary memory and backing store, that may in practice be acceptable.  And unless you're doing video rendering, six cores should be more than sufficient for the time-being.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Re: New Mac Pro specs are out
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:37:06 pm »

First off any Thunderbolt connect chassis is *not* NAS (network attached storage).  TB2 is new and offers the same aggregate bandwidth of TB, but has the option of providing it in a single channel to support future 4k displays.

Existing tests have shown 1000 MBs (MegaBYTE/s) bandwidth from Promise Pegasus cabinets over existing TB connections - this is equivalent to Apple's own advertised internal drive bandwidth numbers...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:46:28 pm by John.Murray »
Pages: [1]   Go Up