Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hogwarts train  (Read 4365 times)

jbgeach

Hogwarts train
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:36:19 am »

I love the new front picture, that picture is begging to be elarged to a great size and hung on a wall. Quite an accomplishment Kevin

MatthewCromer

Re: Hogwarts train
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 01:17:32 pm »

Likewise.

jeremyrh

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 02:44:08 am »

I sat on my hands, because I really don't want to start THAT again, but really ... what is the point? I understand that Kevin had fun playing with the sliders in CaptureOne, and fair enough, we all do things for fun, but I just can't see why one would want to take a beautiful subtle landscape and make it like it was painted in poster colours. And don't tell me "it's just art".

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 02:49:36 am »

I sat on my hands, because I really don't want to start THAT again, but really ... what is the point? I understand that Kevin had fun playing with the sliders in CaptureOne, and fair enough, we all do things for fun, but I just can't see why one would want to take a beautiful subtle landscape and make it like it was painted in poster colours. And don't tell me "it's just art".

Color perception is highly subjective.
And since the old and dark ages of analogue photography people have always highly manipulated the images they created (even ol' Ansel did).
"Pure unaltered view" is an illusion.
You don't have to like it, but you can't really say something like "Its wrong".

Oh, and yes: "it's just art". :P

Cheers
~Chris

LesterGilbert

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 03:31:41 am »

Kevin, could you give us some background to your snap (smile), it's enchanting?  I'm pretty sure a Hogwarts train doesn't come by every day...

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 09:40:21 am »

Jeeezzz, you can't win.  Ask the rest of the workshop that was there, the image is pretty much as it was.  The few things I did are, 1, using a layer mask (adjustment layer) in Capture One I darkened the sky a bit about 2 stops.  It's my graduated filter.  2. I increased contrast just a tad as I normally do for my landscapes.  3.  I used the shadow recovery tool to bring back some detail in the trees and shadow areas but not much at all. 4. Added 15 points on clarity to open up some of the low contrast areas in the mid tones. And, I added like 7  (which is nothing) in the saturation slider.  That was all I did in Capture One.  It didn't change the scene much other than let me capitalize on the information in a IQ180 back file.  In PhotoShop I did retouch some wires in the picture out.  I used NIK Viveza to remove a color cast in the top corners which were a result of not doing an LCC correction image with this exposure.  So, NO BIG saturation or anything really special on this shot.  This is a very popular and liked image.  I have a 40x55 inch print of it and it quite lovely and with astounding detail.  It draws you in because you can actually see people in the train car windows.

This shot and others not yet published here were made on a PODAS workshop I lead in Scotland last year.  The color was spectacular and the weather and light incredible.  I didn't have to do a lot to Rabereyes this image or others shot there, as nature did it for me.  And, just for all those interested here are the Capture One values so you can see there was nothing unusual done.  WB 5407, Tint -0.3, Ex. -0.06, contrast 3, brightness 0, saturation 7, Highlight recovery 30, Shadow recovery 5, clarity 15. The sky was -2 in local adjustments.  Finally I added a .76EV vignette.

So, Jeremyrth you can get off your hands now.  The things I did on this image and others I make are no different than you might do in the darkroom in the good ole days.  Yes, I had fun as I always do with my photography.  I really like this image and so do a lot of other people. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 09:47:58 am »

Would be fun to see the replies on scanned RVP50 ... :P

ceyman

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 03:55:27 pm »

I generally find Kevin's work to have a punchier look than I would choose myself, but that is one of the reasons I appreciate his involvement. 

Michael has discussed his use of desaturation, which gives many of his images a pastel look I love and have shamelessly stolen.  On the other hand, I doubt that Kevin ever lets the saturation  slider head even near the minus territory. 

But so what?  Each of us have our own vision.  I want to see everything from work that I love to that I wouldn't do on a dare.  Variety is good.

Carl

AFairley

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 04:23:46 pm »

I was going to jump on the "over-Raberized" train (oops, sorry), but after reading Kevin's description of what it was like, I will stand corrected.  I guess I need to get out and see the world more. 

BTW, Kevin, I give you major props for being able to keep a level head and give civil replies when folks express their unfavorable opinions of your work, frequently quite bluntly.  But I'm afraid "Raberized" has permanently entered the LuLa lexicon.   ;)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 06:34:36 pm »

I suppose I need to start going to more unsaturated locations.  Every place I have been lately has been pretty colorful.   I'm headed to Antarctica in two weeks, so maybe things will get toned down a bit there.  And, the phrase Raberized is OK.  I have actually taken it one step further and now it is RaberEYES.  I'll post a B&W image sometime soon and we can avoid all the cold debate. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Isaac

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 07:26:57 pm »

Jeeezzz, you can't win.

Probably not -- if you take on the label Rabereyes that's all people will see.

nutcracker

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 07:43:33 pm »

When Kevin describes the lighting that existed that day, he describes the light and colour that most of us attending that PODAS workshop experienced, but not many had the preparation done in advance with the train timetable to get that particular shot. I do not think that he has over egged the the dramatic appearance of the train on the day.

laughingbear

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 05:56:12 am »

Jeeezzz, you can't win.  

Kevin,

exactamente!  ;D

When a photograph, and here I refer to prints, is percieved as outstanding to the "average" observer, it is always about the superb equipment we have at our disposal, right?

This is nice, you must have an expensive camera! Answer: Of course I do, the camera has a fine art function and it creates outstanding museum grade prints at the push of a button.

If the colors are like they are in Ireland or Scotland in autumn, the average observer will moan that this must be photoshopped as "he never saw such colors and lights". The latter is likely to be the most appropriate description, as they never were there to start with.  

Hence, I refuse to discuss techniques and camera used. Having said that, I will share what equipment was used for the final product of course, they shall know that it was printed on Epson 11880 with Hahnemühle xyz paper, but they shall not know whether I shot it with a phase one, alpha 900, A7R or Olympus E1, because I can cook a tasty meal on a 5 dollar camping stove or a 5,000 dollar NEF steam oven.

You like it, good! You don't like it, good!

I had great fun either way!
 ;)

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 06:02:01 am by laughingbear »

dreed

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 09:06:21 am »

This shot and others not yet published here were made on a PODAS workshop I lead in Scotland last year.

Do you lead PODAS workshops in Scotland or was it only last year's Scotland PODAS workshop that you led?

The color was spectacular and the weather and light incredible.

It's a great image and the caption is well chosen :)

daws

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 09:46:23 am »

I suppose I need to start going to more unsaturated locations.

"You used enough gas. The nest should be thoroughly saturated by now."
"If I can still lift an arm when we get out of this, I'll show you how saturated I can get."
- Edmund Gwenn and James Arness
Them!
Warner Bros., 1954
(Black and white)

DavidJ

• http://www.pistyllphoto.org.uk
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 05:07:48 am »

The 'Hogwarts Train' runs right through the Summer season. There is a steam service from Fort William to Mallaig and back from May through October. http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/jacobite/Jacobite_Details.html

I have not used it myself but on one occasion on a regular diesel car train the driver stopped on Glenfinnan viaduct so we could take pictures.
David Allen

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 09:36:26 am »

A magical image of a magical train.

Regards,
Dale
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.
Pages: [1]   Go Up