Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which image? Derwentwater Dawn  (Read 1817 times)

KMRennie

Which image? Derwentwater Dawn
« on: October 20, 2013, 02:07:20 pm »

I can't decide on which of the images to use in a photographic competition. All shot early in the morning. The mist was rolling in and out quickly. The 2 wide shots were shot within 2 minutes of each other. I have flipped the 2 wider images as I prefer the flow this way. Taken on Olympus E-410 with Olympus 14-42.
All comments/ views welcome.
Ken

batmura

Re: Which image? Derwentwater Dawn
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 02:12:41 pm »

#2 for me. I like that the top of the mountain is visible.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:32:53 pm »

#3... better "sense of place." The sky is more cyan-ish than I like, though.

francois

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 03:21:24 am »

#3 for me. I like the cloud in the top left corner…
Francois

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:10:52 am »

I'll even up the vote by selecting #2. I find the cloud, and in particular its reflection, in #3 distracting. The mist in the other two is too extensive and too dense.

Jeremy

thierrylegros396

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 11:34:38 am »

The 3rd for me.

Thierry

NancyP

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 11:42:36 am »

OK, I will be the contrarian. I like #1. It made me think of Avalon, the mythological island of King Arthur.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 12:06:33 pm »

OK, I will be the contrarian. I like #1. It made me think of Avalon, the mythological island of King Arthur.

That was my association too. And I also liked #1 most. But I think it is identical with #4 - isn't it?
I think the difference is the position of the "mirror line" in the water which is too static in the middle in #2 and #3.
#1 is more dynamic, because the mirror line is in the lower part of the image - I think its pretty exactly the lower 1/3.
Also the ripples in the water add much since they break up the all to static perfection of the mirror image.
I also like the light / tonality / colors better.
The sense of depth of the shoreline in the left part is also better due to the haze there.

Gorgeous photograph - I like it!

Cheers
~Chris
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:11:59 pm by Christoph C. Feldhaim »

KMRennie

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 12:46:30 pm »

Thanks for the replies. Oops 1 and 4 are the same (senior moment). My mind has been made up for #2 because all of the others were severe crops ( approx. 3MB)and I only noticed this when I was making printable copies. I don't know why #3 has a cyan cast, it has the same colour balance as #2 perhaps I had put my cheap polarizing filter on, the shots were taken almost a year ago so I can't remember. Anyway I have altered it's colour balance and reduced the blue/ cyan saturation on both shots and changed the cropping on #2 which prints beautifully on Perma-Jet Museum which is a fine art textured paper. I may use the other 2 shots if I ever need a small image for a digital image competition as well as for my screen backdrop. I just await some judge saying "not enough punch". Shot at Derwentwater in the English Lake District which is less than 1 hour away so with a bit of luck I may get Autumn colour after the first dusting of snow on a clear calm morning but I won't be holding my breath.
Ken

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 01:23:55 pm »

Ooh, that's a tricky choice as elements of them all are strong. I liked the mystery of 1, but felt it needed the bottom ripples removing to give it a better balance. Which unfortunately would make the file size even smaller. Though ACR is pretty darn good at up-resing raw images.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:35:15 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: [1]   Go Up