Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7890, any reason not to?  (Read 4276 times)

mjrichardson

Epson 7890, any reason not to?
« on: October 19, 2013, 02:37:52 am »

Morning!

I've been offered a good deal on a new Epson 7890, any reason not to go for it? I have no problem going for the 7900 if it's really a much better machine but I'm thinking I'd like to spend the difference on supplies! I sold my Z3100 just over a year ago now and want to get back in to printing again.

Any comments on the output or issues with the machine would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Mat

JeanMichel

Re: Epson 7890, any reason not to?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 04:33:04 pm »

Hi,
I went through the same questions when I was looking at buying a larger format printer. I purchased the 7890. Both the 7890 and 7900 are basically the same printer, with the 7900 having two more ink colours which are useful if you need to produce proofs for cmyk printing. I have had this printer for just about one year and I have not had any problems with it, except for having to occasionally do the cleaning cycle. My only possible regret is that I wished that I had a larger space to put a 9890 which would have given me possibility of printing larger prints yet bigger on occasion. I print on Canson Baryta Photographique; and I printed a set of wide prints for an exhibition on Epson Exhibition Canvas. Printing on cut sheets is a bit less convenient but works fine.
I am in Ontario and purchased my printer from Vistek. Their website is vistek.ca
Hope this helps.
Jean-Michel

davidh202

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 11:08:32 pm »

I bought the 7900 3 years ago -still chugging along and the 9890 a year later(wished I had done it first). I can see no  difference in prints  between the two.
 save the $ difference and buy lots of paper and ink with it.;-)
I was told, for photographic purposes the 7900 is not necessary it was designed to meet the need for more precise color matching for the graphics industry.

mjrichardson

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 01:55:38 am »

Thanks for the replies gents, much appreciated.

Almost everything is written about the 7900 these days, hardly any posts about the 7890. If the differences in output are negligible then that's good enough for me.

Thanks again, have a good Sunday.

Mat

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:00:17 pm »

I had the same question some time ago and decided for the 7890 because i got a good deal and there is no significant difference.
Its a superb printer.
I had it rested for some months and after a single standard cleaning all nozzles were clean and ready to print again.

mjrichardson

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 01:58:48 pm »

Hi Christopher

Thanks for the reply, good to hear of your experiences, I'm swayed to the *890 series, just waiting on a price for a 9890 to compare.

Thanks again

Mat

JeanMichel

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 04:19:58 pm »

Hi again,
If you have the space get the larger 9890 printer,even if you do not plan to often print on the lager size. I only occasionally print on canvas -- I much prefer paper prints -- but when printing on canvas the 'face' image is reduced by the area you need for the mirror image edge and stretching area, so you end up with an 18" image on a 24" canvas. Less of an issue if you only print on paper, with 2" margins you still can print a 20" by x" image. The price difference in my area is about $900 between the 7890 and 9890.
Jean-Michel

kuau

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 05:14:12 pm »

I am debating the same issue and also looking at the Canon IPF6400.
I can't seem to find anyone who has the 7890 in stock and some are saying they are being discontinued.
Can anyone recommend a good place to purchase one in the States.
Thanks

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 01:04:08 pm »

Morning!

I've been offered a good deal on a new Epson 7890, any reason not to go for it? I have no problem going for the 7900 if it's really a much better machine but I'm thinking I'd like to spend the difference on supplies! I sold my Z3100 just over a year ago now and want to get back in to printing again.

Any comments on the output or issues with the machine would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Mat

After reading about Eric's nightmare and the outrageous cost of replacement heads I almost regret not getting a Canon...

davidh202

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 10:36:40 pm »

After reading about Eric's nightmare and the outrageous cost of replacement heads I almost regret not getting a Canon...

never generalize an opinion from what you read on the WWW ;-)
I'm real sorry for Eric and HIS nightmare, but it is no way indicative of the vast majority of users that do not experience problems! 3 years faultless running my 7900 ,2 years on a 9890 !!
David

mjrichardson

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 02:36:45 am »

Morning gents

Don't worry, I have read that thread a number of times!! There is a balance to be found for sure, that printer had been working fine for a number of years I believe before it moved, maybe these things are like me, I don't like to be unsettled! I'm planning a managed environment for it and regular use. I am looking at the Canon though for sure, the price I got for the 9890 was rubbish compared to the previous 7890 price so I'm making a new plan. Shame the cost of the 9890 and subsequently the 9900 is substantially cheaper in the UK but then getting it to Sweden is the issue, decisions to be made, I'm ready to buy it now! Anyone with a van in the UK fancy a drive to Sweden?!

Have a good day!

Mat

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 12:16:42 pm »

The Epson 7890 Standard edition has been on a back order with Epson directly for some time.  I show that we have a few that just came in..
The Canon iPFx400 will be comparable to the x890 series and normally a bit less in upfront cost

Let us know if you have any questions.
Atlex.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up