Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Fuji X-E2  (Read 17594 times)

JimGoshorn

Re: New Fuji X-E2
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 08:24:41 pm »

I agree with your assessment, JV. That's the reason I shoot with a Fuji. Have to say however, there are times I wouldn't mind a tillable LCD screen :-)

Jim

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 09:47:50 pm »

[...] I get the retro look and all, very nice, but the internals are modern, maybe sacrifice a little hipster cachet for functionality. [...]
I guess the thought is that all of them will end up on tables at Starbucks, swaddled in fitted leather cases, sitting beside a MacBook and a latte.

Real hipsters have vintage Polaroids and wouldn't be caught dead at a Starbucks  ;D
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 09:50:43 pm »

Have to say however, there are times I wouldn't mind a tillable LCD screen :-)

+1000

The lack of a tiltable screen is the one thing that I don't like about my X-E1. And I wouldn't really describe myself as a hipster. Not enough facial hair  ;)
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 10:53:50 pm »

There are many times that I mind a tiltable screen. That's why, despite I'm a lot more attracted to buy Fuji, I got a Sony Nex 6. After 6 months with it, I don't think I'd be any happier with a Fuji, not even with the latest XE2. Right, because of the tiltable screen. I love it. It was the first thing I fancied 10 years ago, when digital cameras started to take on the mass market.
Why still we don't have a FF dslr with a moving screen, it beats me. Another reason to buy another Sony: The A7r. Fuji's lost, Canon's lost. :o
Eduardo

I agree with your assessment, JV. That's the reason I shoot with a Fuji. Have to say however, there are times I wouldn't mind a tillable LCD screen :-)

Jim
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:56:13 pm by uaiomex »

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 06:40:24 am »

A lot of Fuji shooters tend to be old film shooters who appreciate dials, buttons and simplicity in general.  They are not hipsters.

Most of them could not care less about tilt LCD monitors, fold outs and reversible screens.

They also tend to passionately dislike menus like those offered by Olympus and Panasonic.

Simple, that is me!  I am nearing 50 and what attracted me to XE & Xpro cameras was the very simple straight forward lay out of the controls. The aperture ring is so natural for me. Call me old school, I badge I proudly wear. However a few kids I know are liking the Fuji cams for all the same reasons. I guess not all of em are hipsters with heads full of mush  ;) They even print!

Over the years I have seen people whine in Canon forums about why the 5DII etc...did not have flash or a tilting twisty LCD. I never found much use for them. I do have a Canon G11 and I never have used that screen at all except to review images. I do conceded that some people like them and I get it. I use the LCD for framing & focusing close ups. Just never felt a tilt screen was really truly necessary. Onboard flash however can be handy at times.

I have had a Xe-1 since they first became available, & I am going to buy a XE-2. I think the improvements are worth an upgrade
Warren

EgillBjarki

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2013, 11:48:02 pm »

I might just end up getting the X-E2. The plan was to stick with my X100 for a year more, especially after the new firmware update, really gave the X100 some more speed.

The lineup of XF lenses does not make it easy to wait, from what I read and see, most of them are outstanding. To top that off, my MIII can't shoot full HD video in 60fps, X-E2 can.

I would like to have the most up to date equipment, I admit that. The thought of missing out on getting better results, bothers me. I try to suppress this nature, but like stated above, this is a serious update from my current X100 and I just might got for the X-E2...

brianrybolt

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 08:53:15 am »

Spend the money dude - you'll be very happy you did. 
I have the X-Pro1 and X-E1 & will be upgrading to the X-E2 when it's available in the UK.

Brian

speedyk

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 05:28:36 pm »

A lot of Fuji shooters tend to be old film shooters who appreciate dials, buttons and simplicity in general.  They are not hipsters.

Most of them could not care less about tilt LCD monitors, fold outs and reversible screens.

They also tend to passionately dislike menus like those offered by Olympus and Panasonic.

Yup, owner of 2 M's here, and that the way I shot for many years. Also had the early tiny Pentax that fit in an Altoids tin, that was the last one I bought without a folding screen. After I bought it I borrowed an early Canon G and almost immediately found uses for the folding screen, great for macro shots of small creatures, esp. when they are hiding under a bush. Not that my first shots with it were that great, learning to be steady at arm's length is an acquired practice. And I still prefer using a VF...but...When I went back to the M's, there was a dimension now missing from the functionality.

And again, rear screens that aren't protected are a liability. I like the GX-7 a lot, but that screen is in the way.

Not a hipster either, whatever that is. Out here where I live it's just me and wild animals, some walk on 2 legs. But I am a practical hombre, and it's gotta do the work or it doesn't get in. I don't care what it looks like.

Agree about menus, but nearly all of them now have ways around that.

EgillBjarki

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 09:56:19 pm »

Spend the money dude - you'll be very happy you did. 
I have the X-Pro1 and X-E1 & will be upgrading to the X-E2 when it's available in the UK.

Brian

Just placed an order for it along with XF-35mm and XF-14mm. Even though it will be hard, I am selling my X100, the newly announced XF-23mm made that diction a little easier.

WaitingForAnR10

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 08:23:04 am »

Yup, owner of 2 M's here, and that the way I shot for many years. Also had the early tiny Pentax that fit in an Altoids tin, that was the last one I bought without a folding screen. After I bought it I borrowed an early Canon G and almost immediately found uses for the folding screen, great for macro shots of small creatures, esp. when they are hiding under a bush. Not that my first shots with it were that great, learning to be steady at arm's length is an acquired practice. And I still prefer using a VF...but...When I went back to the M's, there was a dimension now missing from the functionality.

And again, rear screens that aren't protected are a liability. I like the GX-7 a lot, but that screen is in the way.

Not a hipster either, whatever that is. Out here where I live it's just me and wild animals, some walk on 2 legs. But I am a practical hombre, and it's gotta do the work or it doesn't get in. I don't care what it looks like.

Agree about menus, but nearly all of them now have ways around that.
I like the tilting rear screen of the Panasonic G series cameras because they allow me to flip the screen 180 degrees so the screen is protected from scratches.  Only flip it back when I actually need to use it, which isn't often.

Deardorff

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2013, 01:06:20 pm »

Sure hope the battery life on the new one is better than the X-E1. Just don't get much use at all from them before they run down. Factory new or aftetrmarket, doesn't seem to matter. They run out fast.

Not even cold out yet and they don't last. Temps 25-30 degrees with a breeze and I'm changing batteries after 30-40 shots. Might maket the camera all but useless at 30 below zero.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 09:03:42 pm »

If you are only getting 30 40 shots something is wrong.  I get close to 225 shots on one battery and this is using a lot of evp.  I carry 2 batteries on a shoot but I never need the 2nd in a days shooting.

Using 50/50 AF and manual focus. Shooting raw plus jpg fine.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2013, 10:41:08 am »

I shot a two-hour televised panel discussion with a pair of XE1 bodies yesterday. I got over 800 images total from both cameras, all on the first battery in each camera. Both cameras still showed three bars of battery at the end (though I didn't believe it :) )  So, average of 400 images from each camera on one battery, assuming I was shooting about the same with each.

BTW the Fujis were lovely for this sort of thing -- quiet enough that the audio guys were not bothered at all. (Probably not quiet enough for a movie set with a boom mic, but for this everyone had a wireless lav and those weren't picking up the shutter firing.) Also quiet enough that audience members sitting next to me weren't bothered.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up