Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Fuji X-E2  (Read 17603 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
New Fuji X-E2
« on: October 18, 2013, 04:39:45 pm »

Fujifilm announce the upgraded X-E2 today, available in limited quantities the middle of Nov.  some nice improvements and upgrades, nice that Fuji listens to the customer base:

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n131018_01.html

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

MartinSpence

• Martin Spence Photography
Re: New Fuji X-E2
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 05:14:15 pm »

Does anyone know if a minimum shutter speed can be set for Auto ISO?

That's one thing that can frustrate me about the X-E1.

Manoli

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 05:40:59 pm »

X-E2 allows you to set Auto ISO parameters with min / max ISO limits PLUS a minimum shutter speed, which you have to set and is fixed throughout the AutoISO range.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:40:28 pm »

The fact that they listen to their customers and they keep improving the cameras (see the recent X100 firmware upgrade) made me buy the X-E1 instead of other mirrorless so it pays to do this

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 10:14:53 pm »

Is the "extended" iso 100 only in jpg mode? like other older models?  It just says available as extended.  I would really like a base raw iso of 100 for raw. 

Also, is the iso 100 (in jpg mode) on the X-E1 an extended? I have never worked with it much since I tend to only shoot raw. 

I see extended as like pushing the base iso of the old Canon 1ds MKII to 50 from the listed iso of 100.  It was always considered to have less DR than 100.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 05:10:29 am »

Looks like they are ironing out the bugs on new models.
I am quite attracted to Fuji..

However the sore sticking point is the flash system or lack of.
I need dedicated wireless flash and HSS, Fuji offer neither currently this is a big deal for some folks

Manoli

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 05:50:10 am »

However the sore sticking point is the flash system or lack of.
I need dedicated wireless flash and HSS, Fuji offer neither currently this is a big deal for some folks

Not an official feature and no HSS, but I've used a Nikon SB-900 connected to an XE-1 via a Nikon SC-28 - Flashgun set to either (M) or (A), obviously no TTL etc. Won't standard 'Plus III' Pocket Wizards cover your 'dedicated wireless flash' requirement ?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:14:38 pm by Manoli »

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 02:23:53 pm »

X-E2 allows you to set Auto ISO parameters with min / max ISO limits PLUS a minimum shutter speed, which you have to set and is fixed throughout the AutoISO range.

Geez...this is better than nothing but it's still not very good. What is so freakin' difficult about implementing a minimum shutter speed based on the focal length of the lens you're using?!

Menu options for minimum Tv:
A: 1/focal length
B: 1/(focal length x 1.5)
C: 1/(focal length x 2)
D: 1/(focal length x3)
E: Auto (begins with A, biases towards D as focal length increases)

Doesn't anyone testing these cameras suggest/insist on stuff like this?! I sometimes wonder if pre-pro testing is much more than a mutual ass-kissing exercise between makers and testers.

-Dave-

bcooter

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 02:42:43 pm »

Doesn't anyone testing these cameras suggest/insist on stuff like this?! I sometimes wonder if pre-pro testing is much more than a mutual ass-kissing exercise between makers and testers.

-Dave-

Dave,

Your right.  You'd be surprised at the efforts photographers go to to get a loaner or a camera deal.   (maybe not)

It's crazy considering, but yes, most pretty much say what the manufacturer wants to hear and if not, they are ignored.  There is always exceptions.

Fuji USA was the best I ever dealt with as they gave stuff, asked for honest opinions and never seemed to get their feelings hurt or ask for edited quotes about products.

Maybe that's changed, I dunno.

I will say that I find the new fuji interesting because the out of camera looks are pretty and the high iso is very good, especially on people.  For me I'd like to see more lenses, a few longer ones and better video with stabilization, but in regards to a still camera the files I've seen from the previous generations were very nice.   (and I'm not looking for a free camera though would take a truck load of gold bars if offered.)

Actually given all the movement in mirrorless, what I'd like to see is about 20 mpx on stills, 2.5 k to 3k in video, in an aps c size sensor( or 43), small lenses with fast primes like the Olympus M43, though even faster something in the 1.2 to 1.4 range in primes, 2.0 in zooms (I know the zooms would be large), gh3 level video, dual sound channels, Olympus style and build quality, Olympus 5 axis stabilization, Fuji color and iso.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 03:04:26 pm by bcooter »

Manoli

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 03:55:11 pm »

Geez...this is better than nothing but it's still not very good.

Dave,

I agree with a lot of what you say, but on this we differ. I don't want more menu options, don't need minimum variable shutter speeds - thank God for simplicity, in this modern quagmire of menus and auto 'this' and auto 'that'.

If I want a min shutter speed, I'll set it. I need 1/1000 - I'll set it. I need 1/60 - I'll set that too. If I want to vary min shutter speed depending on which lens I'm using I'll remember to change the setting each time I change the lens -  It's not going to tax my brain too much (a little, yes - but I'll survive it).

Actually, I've never wanted to set auto Tv based on which lens I'm using. I have wanted to set a speed which will freeze motion or sometimes even capture a degree of motion - irrespective of which lens I'm using.

So from my POV, kudos to Fuji, for yet again keeping to the ethos of simplicity and not overloading their menus and variables with non-essential options. I don't think this was an oversight.

Since I've been using the Fuji, I've got to say i'm seriously impressed with the speed at which they rollout firmware updates, introduce new features and respond to user feedback. It's a young, progressive design team with a good sense of direction, IMO.

All best,
M

ps  Aren't they also the first to introduce the digital split image focusing aid ?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 04:02:55 pm by Manoli »

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 05:32:27 pm »

M, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't have a problem with ultra-tweakability so long as the camera's menu system doesn't keep shoving the details in my face once I've set 'em up. BTW, I use my X-E1 in manual mode most of the time...the camera's choice of shutter speed in Aperture priority is too often too slow. Oh, another thing...since the X-E1 allows auto ISO in "manual" mode it should also allow biasing the ISO via the exposure compensation dial. Why implement something halfway? As it is I set the ISO manually too.

-Dave-

Manoli

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 07:07:21 pm »

Oh, another thing...since the X-E1 allows auto ISO in "manual" mode it should also allow biasing the ISO via the exposure compensation dial. Why implement something halfway? As it is I set the ISO manually too.

Dave,

Well, it does ... sort of.
If you set the Fuji to either Av or Tv, AutoISO, top dial EC compensation works.
If you set both aperture and shutter to [A], effectively [P] mode, AutoISO, top dial EC compensation works.
If you set both aperture and shutter manually, AutoISO, the Fuji calculates optimum ISO based on your dial settings. You can now adjust Ev compensation via shutter speed (only) using the left and right arrow keys on the rear dial - about 2/3 stop plus/minus in 1/3 increments.

Since you're 'seeing' the shot live thanks to LiveView, they (Fuji) assume the operator knows, to some degree, what and why he's setting the (dial) settings he has, and they calculate ISO based on that. If you use the EC dial, what variable are you adjusting again - aperture, shutter or ISO - and why ? Just do it via the shutter or aperture dial, if you're way out on your settings.

Another reason to keep things as simple as possible - have you read the manual ? I never use AutoISO but worked the above out by playing with the camera for about 1/2 an hour!  What I also don't know is how EC and AutoISO interact in manual mode with the Fuji Dynamic Range calculations but, frankly - I ain't  about to find out.

All best,
M

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 07:20:18 am »

Not an official feature and no HSS, but I've used a Nikon SB-900 connected to an XE-1 via a Nikon SC-28 - Flashgun set to either (M) or (A), obviously no TTL etc. Won't standard 'Plus III' Pocket Wizards cover your 'dedicated wireless flash' requirement ?

Well I can't get around no HSS Bar using ND filters it's possible to do that of course just a pain.
I can use PW's or inside manual flashes again it's not a deal killer, but takes more time for some shots.

I hope Fuji beef up the flash side of things it is a turn off being honest not having these.

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 12:56:51 pm »

Dave,
Well, it does ... sort of.
If you set the Fuji to either Av or Tv, AutoISO, top dial EC compensation works.
If you set both aperture and shutter to [A], effectively [P] mode, AutoISO, top dial EC compensation works.
If you set both aperture and shutter manually, AutoISO, the Fuji calculates optimum ISO based on your dial settings. You can now adjust Ev compensation via shutter speed (only) using the left and right arrow keys on the rear dial - about 2/3 stop plus/minus in 1/3 increments.

I know all that stuff...and I've read the manual too. What's missing is the ability to adjust the ISO via the exposure comp dial when using a manually-set aperture & shutter speed. Since the camera can treat ISO as a variable in manual mode (Auto ISO), why doesn't it let you bias it up or down like a proper variable without having to change Av or Tv? If this is due to oversight...okay, Fuji, you missed it. Now add it. If this is due to a difference in philosophy...darn right there's a difference!

-Dave-

Manoli

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 01:38:49 pm »

Dave,

I think you misunderstood my post. The rhetorical question " Another reason to keep things as simple as possible - have you read the manual ? " - wasn't aimed at you, it was a reflection on how bloody uninformative the manual is! 
No offence was meant or intended.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 02:04:41 pm »

I know all that stuff...and I've read the manual too. What's missing is the ability to adjust the ISO via the exposure comp dial when using a manually-set aperture & shutter speed.

Right, this is a huge problem for the way I work. And it seems to be such an easy thing to fix!
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Telecaster

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 02:08:56 pm »

Dave,
I think you misunderstood my post. The rhetorical question " Another reason to keep things as simple as possible - have you read the manual ? " - wasn't aimed at you, it was a reflection on how bloody uninformative the manual is! 
No offence was meant or intended.

No offense taken. Just wanted to make clear I hadn't missed anything obvious or documented. Guess I'm just in a kvetching mood at the moment regarding this stuff. Between Olympus not realizing what a nice video platform they'd have in their OM-D line if they'd only wake up to it and Fuji's little niggles in what's otherwise a great system, there are some product designers and pre-pro testers I'd like to whack upside the head.   :o

-Dave-

speedyk

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 06:01:15 pm »

I'm also attracted to Fuji. I wish the idea of a fold-out and reversible rear screen would catch on with them. I tend to go places where an exposed rear screen could be in harm's way. Plus there are times when it's useful to have an angled screen. I get the retro look and all, very nice, but the internals are modern, maybe sacrifice a little hipster cachet for functionality.

Same goes for the GX-7. The tilting EVF helps, but the rear screen is still exposed.

I guess the thought is that all of them will end up on tables at Starbucks, swaddled in fitted leather cases, sitting beside a MacBook and a latte.

scooby70

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 07:45:20 pm »

One ability I love with the Panasonic G range is being able to turn the screen to the body.

JV

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 08:11:29 pm »

I guess the thought is that all of them will end up on tables at Starbucks, swaddled in fitted leather cases, sitting beside a MacBook and a latte.

A lot of Fuji shooters tend to be old film shooters who appreciate dials, buttons and simplicity in general.  They are not hipsters.

Most of them could not care less about tilt LCD monitors, fold outs and reversible screens.

They also tend to passionately dislike menus like those offered by Olympus and Panasonic.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up