Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR print to PDF not color managed?  (Read 5735 times)

alfin

LR print to PDF not color managed?
« on: October 18, 2013, 02:59:27 pm »

I'm on Windows 7/64 and I can print to PDF in LR5.2 Print module via Adobe Acrobat X Standard. However, the resulting PDF does not seem to be color managed, it's overly saturated compared to if I print to PDF via PSCS6. In PS the PDF and the screen is a match, but not in LR. I really don't understand what could be the difference between the applications?

Also, if I use the Slideshow module's Export PDF function in LR, it's the same result, too much saturation, but the Book module's Export to PDF is correctly color managed.

Any ideas what's going on here?

As I understand, with OS/X there is an internal Print to PDF function in the Print module. Is that working as expected, creating a fully color managed PDF-file?
Lars Mollerstrom

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: LR print to PDF not color managed?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 06:55:33 pm »

If you haven't adjusted your color management settings in Acrobat, it may need some tweaking.  My Acrobat is a relatively new (CC) version.  When I first used it I had the exact same problem.  Go to "Preferences - Color Management Tab".  Mine was set on "Monitor RGB" for some reason.  I changed it to sRGB and all is good.

Dave

Edit:  That is assuming you export with sRGB colorspace...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:04:45 pm by dchew »

alfin

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 04:38:17 am »

Thanks Dave, but unfortunately that cannot be the problem, since it works fine if I print to a PDF-file from PS. I have CM in Acrobat set to Adobe RGB and I view the results via a calibrated Eizo wide gamut screen. Actually, with sRGB it’s not so easy to see the difference, but if I have my screen set to Adobe RGB and print to PDF in Adobe RGB with Lightroom, the difference is obvious.
Lars Mollerstrom

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:51:06 pm »

Now I'm intrigued.  In the first post you mention exporting to a pdf via slideshow.  But I don't see a way to select your output space when you do that.  I thought it was always sRGB...?  Is there some way in preferences to define a different colorspace when exporting to a PDF that I don't know about?  I can select Acrobat Pro under Preferences - Export Settings, but the only file options are TIFF, PSD and JPEG; PDF is not an option.  So where exactly are you telling the Slideshow module to export into Adobe RGB?

I have no experience printing to a PDF in the print module.  I assume you are opening the printer driver and selecting "print to pdf" or something like that?  I'm on a Mac so I can't help you there either... 

But I would question how the driver does or does not color manage when printing to a pdf from the printer driver, regardless of what settings you've chosen in the printer window.

Still not much help I'm afraid.

Dave

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 04:02:38 pm »

As I understand, with OS/X there is an internal Print to PDF function in the Print module. Is that working as expected, creating a fully color managed PDF-file?
Save slide show as PDF on OS X produces what I believe to be sRGB.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 08:47:46 pm »

Save slide show as PDF on OS X produces what I believe to be sRGB.

Thank you Andrew, that certainly explains what I've described above.  The colors look ok as long as I set Acrobat to sRGB.  Anything else looks poor.

Dave

alfin

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 07:35:30 am »

Thanks guys, it is working now. That the slideshow module creates an untagged sRGB file is something I should have understood myself! Since I had Acrobat set to Adobe RGB, the colors were too saturated. I have now also got the print to pdf in LR to work as expected.
Lars Mollerstrom
Pages: [1]   Go Up