Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Idiots toppling Goblin Valley formation  (Read 14280 times)

Roman Racela

Idiots toppling Goblin Valley formation
« on: October 17, 2013, 07:54:04 pm »

I was just there not too long ago. Reading this news and watching the video upset me a bit. I can't stand people like them.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57012279-78/goblin-rock-valley-state.html.csp

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Idiots toppling Goblin Valley formation
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:24:22 pm »

You got to love the rationalization ???

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:00:09 pm »

This is why they didn't let people into parks during your guvmint shutdown. :)

Maybe they felt like they owned the place, since they pay taxes, and so they felt that they could do whatever they want.

This kind of behaviour is not unusual. Ask anyone who has ever held a job in the service sector, restaurant, public facility, etc. Not all people are like that, not even a majority, but enough are.
--
Robert

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:19:38 pm »

I posted two ice and snow formations here last winter. A few days later both had been destroyed.
Another reason to photograph.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:01:09 pm »

Too bad it didn't fall the other way.  Maybe next time.

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 12:17:44 am »

Hopefully they will not get a liberal judge like Fatali got when he set fires in the Nat'l Parks.  The only way to stop this is to make the fines so insane no one will think to do it.  Fatali got a far to lenient sentence.  Its assholes like this who make it harder for all of us, who do the right thing.  T

t6b9p

• BeyondVisible
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 11:27:03 am »

This incident reminded me of this one in 1824, Logan (balanced rock) in Treen Cornwall
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Rock
Go down to the section - Story of the Rock
The person responsible was required to restore it to its original position at any cost.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 01:17:10 pm »

Maybe social media will come to the rescue.

Roman Racela

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 02:12:27 pm »

As punishment, I think the State of Utah needs to slap them with a huge fine and have their balls cut off so they won't reproduce lil idiot versions of themselves.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:50:53 pm by Roman Racela »

Mjollnir

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 04:48:16 pm »

Hopefully they will not get a liberal judge like Fatali got when he set fires in the Nat'l Parks.  The only way to stop this is to make the fines so insane no one will think to do it.  Fatali got a far to lenient sentence.  Its assholes like this who make it harder for all of us, who do the right thing.  T

LOL!  And what exactly, pray tell, was 'liberal' about the judge Fatali got?

Roman Racela

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 05:13:03 pm »

Goblin Valley wasn't affected by the gov't shutdown because it's a state park, but you're right Robert. This is one of the reasons why people weren't allowed to enter national parks and monuments. Social media and the internet has made information on a lot of places accessible to people and some are just out to destroy and vandalize when they get these places. Sometimes I don't even bother posting some of the images and information I have...fearing idiots like those in the video would not respect and protect these beautiful places.

Some of the rocks that I've photographed at Racetrack Playa have disappeared. One rock that I photographed previously was no longer there when I went back a few months later. I know they're moving rocks but they don't grow feet and walk away to take a hiatus.

Petroglyphs have been vandalized and stolen in Bishop and all over the Eastern Sierras. I'd be stoked if people just admired things and not destroy. Who can we trust with information on some of these wonderful locations that everybody needs to experience and enjoy?

This is why they didn't let people into parks during your guvmint shutdown. :)

Maybe they felt like they owned the place, since they pay taxes, and so they felt that they could do whatever they want.

This kind of behaviour is not unusual. Ask anyone who has ever held a job in the service sector, restaurant, public facility, etc. Not all people are like that, not even a majority, but enough are.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:14:24 pm by Roman Racela »

francois

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 03:42:10 am »

Goblin Valley wasn't affected by the gov't shutdown because it's a state park, but you're right Robert. This is one of the reasons why people weren't allowed to enter national parks and monuments. Social media and the internet has made information on a lot of places accessible to people and some are just out to destroy and vandalize when they get these places. Sometimes I don't even bother posting some of the images and information I have...fearing idiots like those in the video would not respect and protect these beautiful places.

Some of the rocks that I've photographed at Racetrack Playa are have disappeared. One rock that I photographed previously was no longer there when I went back a few months later. I know they're moving rocks but they don't grow feet and walk away to take a hiatus.

Petroglyphs have been vandalized and stolen in Bishop and all over the Eastern Sierras. I'd be stoked if people just admired things and not destroy. Who can we trust with information on some of these wonderful locations that everybody needs to experience and enjoy?

Well, this is depressing! Human imbecility never ceases to amaze me…  >:(
Francois

Bernard ODonovan

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 12:35:22 pm »

''A Boy Scouts of America spokesman said the organisation was also reviewing the matter and would take appropriate action.

"We are shocked and disappointed by this reprehensible behaviour. For more than a century, the Boy Scouts of America has been a leader in conservation - from stewardship to sustainability," Boy Scouts spokesman Deron Smith said.

"The isolated actions of these individuals are absolutely counter to our beliefs and what we teach," he said.''

Those guys leading youngs minds...hmmm... Looks like their organisation feels the same...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:36:55 pm by Bernard ODonovan »

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 09:04:09 am »

The only way to stop this is to make the fines so insane no one will think to do it.
We need more environmental education. Americans need to invest more into education that many don't want to pay for.  As good Americans it was their god given right to do what ever the hell they wanted - now that is the American way. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 07:53:19 pm »

We need more environmental education. Americans need to invest more into education that many don't want to pay for.  As good Americans it was their god given right to do what ever the hell they wanted - now that is the American way. 

That may be a little unfair, there are dumb boors everywhere, not just the U.S. Takes a special category of person to post of video of the act on the interweb, though.
--
Robert

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 08:11:47 pm »

...Takes a special category of person to post of video of the act on the interweb, though.

My grandma used to say: "Smart man's shame is idiot's pride."

francois

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 03:12:21 am »

My grandma used to say: "Smart man's shame is idiot's pride."

Your grandma was so right!
Francois

greyscale

greyscale

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 11:56:24 pm »

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 02:59:37 pm »

US State and National Parks are at least as unvandalised and litter free as the British and French National Parks with which I'm familiar. Goblin Valley is remarkably pristine considering the temptations. That may be because the "goblins" are vandals turned to stone by the vengeful gods (after having their balls cut off, of course).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:01:26 pm by markadams99 »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up