Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frameable?  (Read 1172 times)

Trevor Murgatroyd

Frameable?
« on: October 17, 2013, 06:50:12 pm »

This is from a recent trip to the Adirondacks, and I have it printed 30" wide but I can't decide if it is worth framing.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Trevor

Floyd Davidson

• Images From Barrow Alaska
Re: Frameable?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 07:58:21 pm »

This is from a recent trip to the Adirondacks, and I have it printed 30" wide but I can't decide if it is worth framing.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Trevor

Staple it to the wall!

If a few days, weeks or months later you find yourself saying under your breath, "Geeze, that photo is ugly.", then you know you should take it down and never frame it.  If instead you find yourself saying, "Geeze those staples are ugly.", then you need to look into some matting and a frame.

Trevor Murgatroyd

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 08:05:59 pm »

I think I got my answer. I told my wife I was not quite happy with it and she said: "do you mean that empty space in the middle?"

She is right, the lack of interest in the foreground was exactly what was on my mind, and I think I will not frame it.

Too bad, that was the best from my trip.

Trevor

wmchauncey

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:27:28 pm »

Aah...to print or not to print...I put the image on my desktop, figuring if I can live with it there, I ought to print it.      ;)
The things you do for yourself die with

Floyd Davidson

• Images From Barrow Alaska
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 01:51:02 am »

I think I got my answer. I told my wife I was not quite happy with it and she said: "do you mean that empty space in the middle?"

She is right, the lack of interest in the foreground was exactly what was on my mind, and I think I will not frame it.

Too bad, that was the best from my trip.

Trevor

The other wisecrack I thought of making was "Ask the woman of the house."  That works too.  But regardless of smart alec remarks, your decision and the reason for it are interesting.  Your photograph's composition is one that is very commonly seen.  It follows several Rules of Thumb, such as the rule of thirds, and has appropriate converging lines, wonderful colors, juxtaposition layers, and so on and on.

But in the end, you see it as the Ansel Adams poster for "A sharp image of a fuzzy concept"!

I wouldn't disagree with that, but it's also true that I have never been excited about landscapes and wouldn't trust my judgment of it for a second.  But assuming that it is what you see it as...  what would make it different for you?  What difference in framing would help?  What change in perspective?  Is there something missing that would work, such as a boat or an airplane?

Trevor Murgatroyd

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 09:47:14 am »

Floyd, I appreciate your comments, which have encouraged me to think about it a little more.

Because of the location, I had little choice as to perspective. In the bottom left there is, in the shadows, an upturned boat. I wished that had been more visible, a little more centered, and closer to the foreground. Unfortunately, it insisted on being where it was!

I have generally been lukewarm about doing landscape photography and the purpose of this little trip had been to try it more seriously. I had liked this image, I suppose, because it had what I thought were the characteristics of a good landscape. I was not sure about it, on the other hand, because it looked rather too much like a pretty postcard. Also, I did not like all that open space in the lake foreground.

Finally I have decided to crop a couple of inches of the bottom to reduce the open water. This falls into another "guide" of not centering the horizon. I have also added a slight vignette and thin border to contain the image a little.

Now I think I will frame it, but perhaps should consult wife first  ;). Thanks again.

Trevor

davidh202

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 10:57:51 pm »

I like it cropped and that was going to be my suggestion. By all means frame it!

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 12:38:24 am »

I,m not sure if rules of thirds works much in panos.  They,re too thin, long with not enough height.  One of the reasons I don,t like them.  My eye has to wonder too much from one side to the other.  Having said all that, I think it,s a nice shot.  If you like it, frame it.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 06:08:50 am »

It's nice enough to frame I think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up