Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autumn reef  (Read 1523 times)

RobbieV

• My work.
Autumn reef
« on: October 17, 2013, 01:15:32 am »

Full size click here

Full size click here

Full size click here

Constructive comments/criticisms/critiques/edits welcomed.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:36:37 am by RobbieV »

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: Autumn reef
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 10:35:01 am »

I would rather not have to choose between #2 and #3.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:32:31 pm »

What could be strengthened in the image or concept, in your opinion, to make the choice easier?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:46:30 pm »

What would make the picture work would be some focal point. There's no focal point in any of them, and, as a result, no composition.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:05:01 pm »

What would make the picture work would be some focal point. There's no focal point in any of them, and, as a result, no composition.

"Focal point" no; but there are focal lines, the shadows. 

aduke

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 07:40:04 pm »

You can develop a focal point (or several). The eye is attracted to brighter, sharper, more saturated parts of the image and discouraged by darker, fuzzier and less saturated parts.

The third image seems to lend itself to this treatment.

Alan

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:20:02 pm »

Bluer trees attract the eye as well.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 08:29:41 pm by Bruce Cox »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 08:22:30 pm »

Sorry guys, but all three look more like Jackson Pollock wallpaper than photographs.

HCB did an interesting "looking down on trees" picture, but he had people in it. The point is, there's no point of eye-contact in them. You can try to construct one, but it doesn't quite come off.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 01:05:04 pm »

I wanted to show the foliage as more abstract, as elements that form a whole rather than having a single focal point. I wanted the sum of the elements (colour/form/arrangement/texture) to work together to form the image, instead of relying on a single element to come through. The single element is the whole, or the sum is greater than the means.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 02:12:50 pm »

Robbie, some thoughts. Your base concept is a nice one and perhaps worth pursuing. These three, however, don't really meet the bar for me for these reasons.  One the light is way too "hot", the shadows too dark, and the colors aren't that interesting... I don't if that's because it's mostly green with just a little bit of autumn color? Finally, the shapes of the undulating shadows, edges of leaf clusters are not that interesting. It might be more interesting with less of a hot "key" light...and more full on Autumn...don't know. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 02:42:45 pm »

I appreciate the discussion. It think it's interesting that you suggest less of a hot key light effect. For me, that's the integral part of the image the brings out the texture, colour and shadows. The low sun just breaking the skyline right at water-level, shining up to the trees which reside higher up on a cliff-side, viewed from from slightly above them on a peak is what give the trees this look.

To take away that would be to shoot a little later in the morning after the sun has risen a bit more, but then I would lose the distinct lighting effect that happens at this location during sunrise.

I think I will try it again when the colours are shifted a bit further to see what can happen.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 03:36:43 pm »

Robbie, some further thoughts...I think the light "as is" works the best in the last image...the first two makes for very high contrast...and to my eye a little too choppy and not necessarily in a good way. One could just bring the highlights down/blacks up to see what happens. That said, my hunch is, getting a little more leaf color change will most likely help with the overall concept/output...more deep oranges, reds, mixed with the evergreen/pines (whatever they are). I understand what you are after as well, I've shot these types of comps. in VT for years...and it's tricky at least for me at least to get the right mix/balance of shapes, color, light etc..  Good luck with it. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up