Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony Alpha 7R and Canon Glass  (Read 16954 times)

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
Sony Alpha 7R and Canon Glass
« on: October 16, 2013, 04:54:41 am »

I wanted to get some advice, and thoughts, on the new Sony A7R for professional work. I do portraits and family photography.

I jumped in and bought myself the new Sony A7R. Right now I shoot most of my pro work with a Canon 5D Mark II and the usual suspects, with respect to glass: a 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 and occasionally a wide angle 14mm f/2.8.

I love my Canon gear!! I have always loved the files (very flexible), and the glass is absolutely superb! However, I have seriously considered changing kits for quite some time now, and with the new Sony system, I think I'm ready to do it. But before I go eBaying my entire Canon line up, I wanted to get the group's guidance.

What is everyone's thoughts on the Sony/Zeiss lenses being offered with the A7R? There are only five options right now, but word is a lot are in the pipe. I'm concerned the new FE Mount, as it is called, will either, 1: Not be around in 5 years because Sony will develop a new lens mount and Zeiss will acquiesce and make new glass, or 2: The lens lineup will be rather weak. I know these concerns are something that would require a crystal ball to address, but I'd still love to hear everyone's feedback.

One of the reasons I have held on to my Canon gear for so long, was the hope that Canon would release a new 5D with a high quality, and high MP, sensor. Not unlike what Nikon did with the D800. However, that seems to be a good ways off. So what has always made me stay true to Canon was the glass. Does the forum think Sony/Zeiss glass can match the quality of the Canon L series?

Ultimately, I'm curious if making this switch is something I should move into gradually, or just say screw it, sell the whole Canon line up and grab the new $3000 70-200 f/2.8 Zeiss lens and hope Sony releases great quality glass down the line. I reluctantly purchased the Sony/Zeiss 24-70 f/4. Hard to judge a system without a native lens attached to it. I'm perplexed they didn't release an f/2.8 with the 24-70 zoom. 

Lastly, and as a general topic, I'd love to get everyone's thoughts on the new Sony system.

Thanks a lot everyone!

JB 

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Re: Sony Alpha 7R and Canon Glass
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 09:57:15 am »

Hi,

Well, I'm not professional, and mainly do landscape photography (manual focus using live view 99% of the time). For me the camara looks quite interesting, specially if in the future you can use a metabones adaptor like this one: http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter (not sure if it is going to work with the a7r, but probably they will realese an update), so I can still use my invesment in Canon glass.

Maybe in your case you can do the change gradually, buying camara and adaptor, and later on, updating you glass if necessary.

My two cents...

P.D.: From a personal point of view and financial one, I will probably wait until 2015 to change my 5d... them maybe Brand X releases camera Y that looks more interesting...

Fine_Art

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 12:53:14 pm »

Canon has some fine lenses that the 7R will show off like never before.

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:03:22 pm »

Maybe the forum can shed some light on this. I've been getting conflicting answers. Do you guys know if a MetaBones adapter would work well on the 7R with Canon's EOS lenses? My concern is the adapters are designed for an APS-C NEX camera, not full frame. So I wasn't sure if there'd be a vignetting issue or some other issues that may arrise. If you all could share some thoughts I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks a ton!
JB

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 10:53:52 pm »

By the way...good advice David!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:44:20 pm »

Hi,

You can use your Canon lenses in the Sony Alpha 7r with an adapter. There is said to be some adapter that retains AF-capability. Keep in mind that adapters that adapters can induce alignment problems.

It is highly unprobable that Sony would change mount in foreseeable future. The A-mount has been around since 1985 and Sony has lot of stuff based on the E-mount, many of their motion cameras use it.

Zeiss is a large company, highly unlikely they would go out of business. Anyway, the Zeiss lenses are built by Sony in Japan. Actually, they are mostly designed in Japan, too. I am not sure how much Zeiss is involved, but they are involved in quality control. Sony's Zeiss lenses have dual serial numbers, Sony# and Zeiss#.

Best regards
Erik

I wanted to get some advice, and thoughts, on the new Sony A7R for professional work. I do portraits and family photography.

I jumped in and bought myself the new Sony A7R. Right now I shoot most of my pro work with a Canon 5D Mark II and the usual suspects, with respect to glass: a 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 and occasionally a wide angle 14mm f/2.8.

I love my Canon gear!! I have always loved the files (very flexible), and the glass is absolutely superb! However, I have seriously considered changing kits for quite some time now, and with the new Sony system, I think I'm ready to do it. But before I go eBaying my entire Canon line up, I wanted to get the group's guidance.

What is everyone's thoughts on the Sony/Zeiss lenses being offered with the A7R? There are only five options right now, but word is a lot are in the pipe. I'm concerned the new FE Mount, as it is called, will either, 1: Not be around in 5 years because Sony will develop a new lens mount and Zeiss will acquiesce and make new glass, or 2: The lens lineup will be rather weak. I know these concerns are something that would require a crystal ball to address, but I'd still love to hear everyone's feedback.

One of the reasons I have held on to my Canon gear for so long, was the hope that Canon would release a new 5D with a high quality, and high MP, sensor. Not unlike what Nikon did with the D800. However, that seems to be a good ways off. So what has always made me stay true to Canon was the glass. Does the forum think Sony/Zeiss glass can match the quality of the Canon L series?

Ultimately, I'm curious if making this switch is something I should move into gradually, or just say screw it, sell the whole Canon line up and grab the new $3000 70-200 f/2.8 Zeiss lens and hope Sony releases great quality glass down the line. I reluctantly purchased the Sony/Zeiss 24-70 f/4. Hard to judge a system without a native lens attached to it. I'm perplexed they didn't release an f/2.8 with the 24-70 zoom. 

Lastly, and as a general topic, I'd love to get everyone's thoughts on the new Sony system.

Thanks a lot everyone!

JB 
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 11:48:36 pm »

Hi,

The Speed Booster is not full frame compatible.

This is the one to check: http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter

Best regards
Erik

Maybe the forum can shed some light on this. I've been getting conflicting answers. Do you guys know if a MetaBones adapter would work well on the 7R with Canon's EOS lenses? My concern is the adapters are designed for an APS-C NEX camera, not full frame. So I wasn't sure if there'd be a vignetting issue or some other issues that may arrise. If you all could share some thoughts I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks a ton!
JB
Erik Kaffehr

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 01:46:41 am »

Thanks a ton!
JB

Not sure if it is going to work... Or if it can introduce alignment problems as Erik comments... In resume... We will have to wait and see what happens... Someone in some review site or some will test it and we could see the results... Maybe it works, maybe it is necessary to wait for an specific EF to FE adapter...

For me the possibility of using this camera with my TS-E 24 mark ii looks quite interesting...

nairb

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 11:42:01 am »

They show the Metabones adapter working on the A7r with Af and metering near the end of this "The Camera Store" video review using an Canon EOS 24-70 f2.8 I believe. The adapter was apparently designed to work with the VG900 video camera which has a full frame sensor in a  Nex mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnvgceTEV3c

SangRaal

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 08:47:20 pm »

I bought the Metabones III(3) a few months ago to use on a nex 7 with Canon L primes and have had zero luck; lenses tried were the 100, 200, 300,400 and 14; non L lenses that I tried were 50 /1.4 85/1.8 135 /2.8, none worked couldn't even bring up an aperture let alone focus, the stabilizer did work on some of the lenses. In the camera shop video they used the 17 to 40/ f4 lens and got focus and aperture. YMMV,but for a pocketful of nickels more than the metabones adaper I could have bought the canon SL1and used my canon lenses in a compact package. I have been using a Voigtlander M adapter with some leica and zeiss legacy lenses and broke down and bought a voigtlander 75 /1.8 to use on the E mount the manual M mount lenses have yielded excellent images. Cosina of Japan makes the Zeiss lenses and Voigtlanders, I have no idea who actually makes the Sony Zeiss lenses they do not seem to be the same as the others. BTW my Metabones adapter is on my desk and is being used a a paper weight on several complaints for nonpayment of Storm Lee Flood insurance claims that I am preparing.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 12:45:32 pm »

I bought the Metabones III(3) a few months ago to use on a nex 7 with Canon L primes and have had zero luck; lenses tried were the 100, 200, 300,400 and 14; non L lenses that I tried were 50 /1.4 85/1.8 135 /2.8, none worked couldn't even bring up an aperture let alone focus, the stabilizer did work on some of the lenses. In the camera shop video they used the 17 to 40/ f4 lens and got focus and aperture. YMMV,but for a pocketful of nickels more than the metabones adaper I could have bought the canon SL1and used my canon lenses in a compact package. I have been using a Voigtlander M adapter with some leica and zeiss legacy lenses and broke down and bought a voigtlander 75 /1.8 to use on the E mount the manual M mount lenses have yielded excellent images. Cosina of Japan makes the Zeiss lenses and Voigtlanders, I have no idea who actually makes the Sony Zeiss lenses they do not seem to be the same as the others. BTW my Metabones adapter is on my desk and is being used a a paper weight on several complaints for nonpayment of Storm Lee Flood insurance claims that I am preparing.
Why didn't you get in touch with them and send it back?  I sent back a Speedbooster with no issues (not because of the electronics).

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 01:29:39 am »

Hi,

Sony ZA lenses are made by Sony under quality control by Carl Zeiss. The designs are different. I don't know about Zeiss involvment. They have a couple of QC engineers. The lenses have T* markings and dual serial numbers, Sony and Zeiss numbers.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

EinstStein

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 02:31:18 pm »

A7R has tilted microlens on the sensor, which need to be considered in terms of lens compensation.
This means, if your lens does not need tilted lens compensation, you will suffer the over-compensation problem. On the other hand if your lens does need compensation and you don't have the proper compensation factor, you'll suffer the problem too.
Not sure Sony would bother to provide the lens compensation file for foreign lenses.

Let us know how the new system works compared to 5DII. I suspect the only advantage is smaller camera/lens size. Like any mirror less camera, A7R is going to suffer ray angle problem much worse than DSLR. Expected to be even worse than Leica M due to the much shorter flange distance. Tilted micro lenses may reduce the problem, can't cure it.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 09:07:28 pm »

A7R has tilted microlens on the sensor, which need to be considered in terms of lens compensation.

Hi,

While I agree that the effect of the micro-lens arrangement combined with OEM lenses is yet to be established, allow me a small correction. They are not tilted micro-lenses, but they are offset micro-lenses instead. The micro-lens fabrication process does not allow to introduce tilt, but it does allow to offset (shift) the center of the micro-lens based on radial distance to (closer to the corners of) the optical center.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

EinstStein

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 11:00:56 am »

Call it offset microlens or tilted microlens, it is about ray angle compensation.  When your lens needs it and it matches the need, voila. When your lens does not need it, you get the overcompensation. The more it can compensate the ray angle problem, the more overcompensation it will introduce.
The chances are, any DSLR lens will get the overcompensation. Among them, the telelenses and telecentric wide angle lenses will the more.

NancyP

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 11:38:11 am »

If Canon were to produce a high-MP sensor in the next year, would you prefer to keep your current glass? Is there some immediate client need that requires the high-MP, better dynamic range sensor of the Sony?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 12:07:43 pm »

Call it offset microlens or tilted microlens, it is about ray angle compensation.  When your lens needs it and it matches the need, voila. When your lens does not need it, you get the overcompensation. The more it can compensate the ray angle problem, the more overcompensation it will introduce.

Hi,

That's not a given. It all depends on the position of the exit-pupil of the Sony lenses (which could have relatively asymmetric designs), compared to the exit-pupil position (and its size) of the OEM lenses.

The chances are, any DSLR lens will get the overcompensation. Among them, the telelenses and telecentric wide angle lenses will the more.

Could be, but it remains to be seen if and how that manifests itself.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 09:43:11 pm »

I was thinking to better wait for Canon 2014. Fotokina is one year away. I want 36 mp's and 14 stops, well, even more when available.

Bird in hand:
Yes, I'd love to have this in a Canon body but Sony is a reality, now, here and inexpensive. When Canon finally shows its contender, I know 99% I will get one. Then I'll decide if I keep or sell the Sony. It will cost some money but not much. In the meantime, I will be one year old shooting nicer landscapes and architecture files than with my 6D.
Eduardo

PS. New idea: I may keep the A7r to convert it for IR photography.

If Canon were to produce a high-MP sensor in the next year, would you prefer to keep your current glass? Is there some immediate client need that requires the high-MP, better dynamic range sensor of the Sony?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:49:35 pm by uaiomex »
Pages: [1]   Go Up