Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Miller Tripod; question about diagonal movements  (Read 2668 times)

Chris L

Miller Tripod; question about diagonal movements
« on: October 15, 2013, 06:23:43 pm »

hi, i am considering purchasing this Miller DS 10 Tripod and DV Fluid Head ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407385-REG/Miller_1640_DS_10_DV_Fluid_Head.html ) but have a question; I know I can pan left to right and up and down, but could I pan diagonally? Say I am close in on a subject and they shift their weight up and to the right, could I follow them? If not, can anyone recommend a different head? I am using with a lightly rigged BMCC, prob about 6-8 lbs.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Miller Tripod; question about diagonal movements
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 08:40:48 pm »

That will do very nicely. I'm jealous.
An excellent head that will move smoothly in virtually every direction - certainly diagonally  ;D

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:30:30 pm »

Solo legs.

I bought these and find them to be a real double edged sword (to be polite)

Yes they go high they go low.

But making small sensitive height adjustments in them like an interviewees eyeline is virtually impossible

I then bought Sachler legs if the Traditional tv style - so so much better to use.

But my Sachlers which are ex rental are a bit heavy.

On my travels operating other people's kit I have found vinten mid weight  legs to be most user friendly

I also love the highly unfashionable ground spreader as you can tread on it when raising the camera

Please dont buy sticks online - go to a shop with your fully loaded camera and set up a couple of shots especially eyeline shots - those solo sticks have a place but it is IMO only for 10% of my work ..
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:02:28 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Chris L

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 09:07:06 am »

Thanks guys, I will go ahead with my purchase. FYI, the sales guy at BH said it would not work diagonally, hence my question here. I thought he must be mistaken.

Morgan; I live in a small town nowhere near a store that stocks these. It is more cost effective to buy online and return if need be than make a special trip to the city to buy equipment. But I know your right. And I prefer the solo sticks, I use a gitzo now which is similar, which I like. Thanks though, your input is much appreciated,

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 02:05:01 pm »

I've rented the Miller head and like it, though it's about 35% to 100% more in cost that the equivalent manfrotto.

Film guys don't like manfrotto, though I've had great luck with them, the only issue is they tend to wear out faster, though our situation is unique in that i have multiple sticks in our multiple locations so costs becomes a factor.

I will echo what Morgan says in going with standard video sticks the three leg, to two to one with a spreader.  Set up on this style of sticks is 4 times as fast and single leg sticks and the spreader makes one person setup easier, especially with heavy cameras.

Easy setup always produces a better look as during a long day, a unwieldy tripod just wears you down and regardless of intent your brain's desire to protect you takes over and you move around less and less.

I know one DP that uses Jib Arms just for this reason and one of the most respect TV DP's and directors I know shoots all open area exteriors with a shotmaker because of speed. http://www.shotmaker.com/

Obviously a shotmaker doesn't fit well in a room, but if you've seen a tight crew work one, you'd be amazed at how fast setup is.

Anyway, sorry to go off topic.

The only downside of a 3,2,1, video tripod is it screams video which means you set it up on the street and it draws attention, or if on location your fees go up dramatically as there is no under the radar .

The biggest thing that bugs me about Satchler and Manfrotto is the fact that they change models so quickly.  I'll find a great head, then try to buy another and it's been replaced and every head is like a different camera, all the controls are just enough different to not  make it intuitive.

I have one large manfrotto head that I use for the PL mount R1 and I can set and level that thing almost as fast as handholding, but they don't make it anymore and it drives me crazy.  (which is a short trip).

IMO

BC
Pages: [1]   Go Up