Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rollei Apogon lenses  (Read 2986 times)

JV

Rollei Apogon lenses
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:30:06 pm »

I noticed that the Rollei 80mm, 120mm and 150mm lenses are now being labeled as Apogon lenses.

Does anybody know whether there is any difference with their Schneider or Zeiss predecessors?  Are they identical?

Does Rollei now manufacture these lenses?

Thanks, Joris.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:43:15 pm by JV »

Lacunapratum

Re: Rollei Apogon lenses
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:52:20 pm »

I remember having heard that these are re-brandings of the old Zeiss designs.  DHW says they have been optimized for digital, but I suspect that it is rather a route to circumvent the trademark issues.  Perhaps some improved coatings?

Strangely enough, the Schneider Longar converter is now also called Apogon, suggesting that DHW might have found an agreement with Schneider to name their remaining stock of converters Apogon.  All speculation, of course.

The 80 and the 150 have been assembled by Rollei in the past, I suspect that Rollei might have had/bought remaining stock of the the lens elements from Zeiss when Zeiss stopped manufacturing the 120 for the V-system. 

No matter how they are called, these lenses actually are all very good for digital backs.  The 120 especially excels as a macro lens.   

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Re: Rollei Apogon lenses
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 04:33:34 pm »

Yes, the new Apogon naming applies to more than just the Hy6 lenses but also the extenders and even the TLR lenses and both lenses from Zeiss and Schneider lineage will in the future bear the Apogon name.  The name change has come about partly because of licensing issues, but I have been told DHW has also tightened the manufacturing tolerances on the lens parts including optic elements.
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up