Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting movies from Final Cut Pro X  (Read 11859 times)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: Exporting movies from Final Cut Pro X
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 03:04:31 pm »

Jim,

Thanks.  I suggest doing what works for you, especially if your working in a closed loop where you are the director, dp, camera opertor, editor, colorists, etc.

If your working with other's then go for the best file possible.

The real thing is you'll get more respect for your videos if you shoot with distinction, edit a compelling story and learn how to really color a video to keep it interesting.

And keep in mind there is no one way to do any of this.

Heck I can color, key, track and blend in the old slow fcp7 timeline with great effect, though few people would work in the style I do.

Since your video is going on the web for view, nobody is ever going to know if you edited in h264, mp2 or proress.

IMO

BC

Thank you - I am working on the basis that I knew almost nothing about video/film before I started last year - and I still don't.  That doesn't mean I don't want to learn and that I don't value all the skill involved in doing a 'proper job'.  Just that at the moment I only have a limited amount of time - and I ma a slow learner.  Perhaps I might get brave enough to post a link to a recent film and see what you guys think.

Jim

bcooter

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 11:28:02 pm »

Thank you - I am working on the basis that I knew almost nothing about video/film before I started last year - and I still don't.  That doesn't mean I don't want to learn and that I don't value all the skill involved in doing a 'proper job'.  Just that at the moment I only have a limited amount of time - and I ma a slow learner.  Perhaps I might get brave enough to post a link to a recent film and see what you guys think.

Jim

One thing that will improve your videos a great deal is to work from a script, even if it doesn't have dialog.

Maybe a song with lyrics, or just a story you devise from the available footage.

Way too often video are just a collection of moving stills, set to some music with no real thought on how well the story is told.

Another thought is if you use titles, keep them simple and clean.  Look at some very good commercials and videos especially trailers and see what works well in style as well as readability.

Lastly, if you don't have the footage for the story, go shoot it if possible.  Too often the visuals are close to a story but something is missing.

Editorial is all about tell an interesting story, regardless of the style format.

IMO

BC

Jim Pascoe

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 04:22:41 am »

One thing that will improve your videos a great deal is to work from a script, even if it doesn't have dialog.

Maybe a song with lyrics, or just a story you devise from the available footage.

Way too often video are just a collection of moving stills, set to some music with no real thought on how well the story is told.

Another thought is if you use titles, keep them simple and clean.  Look at some very good commercials and videos especially trailers and see what works well in style as well as readability.

Lastly, if you don't have the footage for the story, go shoot it if possible.  Too often the visuals are close to a story but something is missing.

Editorial is all about tell an interesting story, regardless of the style format.

IMO

BC

Well I have been playing around for a year or so now and most of the short films I have made have been of weddings I photograph.  So with trepidation I post a link to one I did recently for your viewing - if you have ten minutes to kill!  My wife and I were photographing this wedding and as usual I shot a whole load of clips alongside the stills - so I suppose the story is dictated by the events of the day.  My style seems to be to video exactly as I shoot stills - except I know not to shoot in portrait orientation!

Jim

Edit - The music was chosen by the couple as it all featured in their wedding, and I have paid the license fee to the PRS - which I believe is the correct way of doing it.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:24:25 am by Jim Pascoe »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 06:01:23 am »

except I know not to shoot in portrait orientation!

Pan up/down.

Create a 'dirty' frame..

Both seen at http://www.sammorganmoore.com/latest/physical-chess
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

bcooter

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 01:23:18 pm »

Jim,

You don't need any help.  You did a GREAT job.  Don't listen to me or anyone else, just keep doing what your doing.

BC

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 04:42:07 am »

I think it is really really nice, but IMO you should consider why you need the wipe cuts - coverage coverage.

Jim Pascoe

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 06:06:54 am »

Jim,

You don't need any help.  You did a GREAT job.  Don't listen to me or anyone else, just keep doing what your doing.

BC

Thank BC!  Always good to get positive feedback - but though I may be a video 'New boy', I am a grizzled photographer and more than happy to get critique from those who know more than I, so feel free to let me know any parts that really don't work for you.  Incidentally both the couple and the brides parents sent me two of the most glowing letters I have ever had.  But then of course they are very biased!

However, much as I want to learn and get better, I am also wary of learning to do things the Right Way.  In photography far too many newcomers end up copying everyone else and never having their own look.  These wedding films take almost no inspiration from others I have seen, so they just follow my still photography. I am of course severely hampered shooting the video by having to shoot most of the stills too, and doing it in a documentary style rather than setting everything up.  Most of it is hand-held and shot on GH2's with two lenses - Pan 14mm and Voigtlander 25mm.  Most of the people at the wedding do not even realise I'm shooting video!  The good thing is that almost all of the weddings we are booking also want one of these films - and they are differentiating me from almost all of the other photographers locally.  And I enjoy it too!!

Jim

Jim Pascoe

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 06:10:05 am »

I think it is really really nice, but IMO you should consider why you need the wipe cuts - coverage coverage.

Hi Sam

If by the Wipe Cuts you mean where it fades to black - I do that for major scene changes, and I use the other fades usually to cover up untidy edits or to blend scenes!

Quite often I am shooting a short clip and then I need to take a still image - so the video pauses.  It is a problem with shooting both stills and video, often with the same camera.

Jim

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 07:09:41 am »

Hi Sam

If by the Wipe Cuts you mean where it fades to black - I do that for major scene changes, and I use the other fades usually to cover up untidy edits or to blend scenes!

Quite often I am shooting a short clip and then I need to take a still image - so the video pauses.  It is a problem with shooting both stills and video, often with the same camera.

Jim

There are no rules. But there are 'conventions' probably best learned then broken at will.

A fade could be a sensible 'chapter signifier' but IMO to use it anywhere else then breaks that 'wall'. I think the other fades are times when you would have had a far smoother edit if you had cut to some 'Broll' - which does not imply a second camera.

As for shooting still-mo, well that would scare the hell out of me - but with the right stylistic choice can work I guess.

S
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up