Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DCP best practice?  (Read 1418 times)

mouse

DCP best practice?
« on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:59 pm »

I have done a search of LuLa on the subject of creating DCPs.
There does not seem to be a firm consensus on the best method.  The two methods most discussed are apparently quite similar in process but may (or may not) differ in results.  I refer to the two methods, both using an X-Rite color checker Passport:  One method constructs the DCP using the X-Rite supplied software.  The alternative method uses Adobe's DNG Profile Editor.

My question is simple:  Is there a consensus regarding which of these two methods produces the "best results".  I am aware that "best results" may be very much dependent on the eye of the beholder and, if this is the case, I would much appreciate any guidance on how to use my eyes (what to look for) when comparing the outcomes.

Many thanks for your help.

mouse

Re: DCP best practice?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 03:02:45 pm »

Bump.

Surely there must be some members with an opinion on this subject. ???

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:33:23 pm »

So, which *software* is better for making DNG profiles - Passport or Adobe's DNG Profiler Editor? Passport is the easiest for beginners and DNG Profiler Editor has more controls that demanding users might appreciate. The results are similar but DNG Profiler Editor profiles are often superior. I'm happy to recommend both products but tailor the suggestion based on what I know of the photographer.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:17:59 pm »

My question is simple:  Is there a consensus regarding which of these two methods produces the "best results". 
I'm afraid I don't think there's a consensus at all. It really is a matter of personal choice.

For me I find the X-Rite passport profiles over saturated and prefer the DNG PE profiles, but even better I prefer the QP card profiles and use those as a default in LR myself.

mouse

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 03:14:32 pm »

Many thanks for your input. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up