Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Uninstall & Reinstall LR4.4 on Mac OSX 10.8.5  (Read 3131 times)

pflower

How to Uninstall & Reinstall LR4.4 on Mac OSX 10.8.5
« on: October 13, 2013, 02:26:46 pm »

I am now on Mac OSX 10.8.5 but this started on 10.6.8.

I am having all kinds of problems with LR4.  Often I get the message that it can't read a particular file.  If I quit then LR doesn't ask me if I want to back up (which is how I have it set up) and then won't open the catalog saying that there is an unknown problem.  Upon inspection the lrlock file is present but I can't delete it (I get an error message -50).  I thought that this was due to a flaky 10.6.8 system so I have bit the bullet and upgraded to 10.8.5 but the same problems persist.  It is not the catalog (I have clean copies of my catalog since I run on 2 different machines).  So my only thought is that something has got corrupted in LR and I am planning to re-install. 

So my question is how do I uninstall the existing version.  Obviously I can simply delete the original application and reinstall it, but what else do I need to delete.  And it is here that I have got very confused.  I would assume preference files should be deleted.  But something appears to have changed between OS 10.6.8 and 10.8.2.  Under 10.6.8 there were 2 library folders - 1 at HD/Library/Preferences and the other at users/myname/library/preferences.  Under 10.8.5 there is only a library folder under HD/Library. There are no preferences which relate to LR there (although some that relate to other Adobe products I have).   Under HD/Users/myname/ there is no library folder at all. 

Can anyone help?

Thanks

francois

Re: How to Uninstall & Reinstall LR4.4 on Mac OSX 10.8.5
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 05:24:44 am »

On Mac OS 10.7 and 10.8, the ~/Library folder [where your personal prefs are stored] is hidden. To open it, in the Finder, press the Option (Alt) key and in the menubar choose: Go > Library.

If you want to keep it visible, you can either use the terminal with something like chflags nohidden ~/Library/  or use a dedicated free application. You'll need to re-apply the trick with every system update (like 10.8.1 to 10.8.2, etc).

Let me know if it helps.
Francois

pflower

Re: How to Uninstall & Reinstall LR4.4 on Mac OSX 10.8.5
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:39:45 pm »

Thanks.  I just can't understand why they do things like that.  For reasons I can't necessarily explain there are a lot of things in my personal Library folder that I need to deal with - not the least being the profiles for papers etc. that somehow ended up getting stored there.  Without proper manuals I am at a loss to understand how I would have found this out were it not for the help one gets from forums such as this.  Thanks again.

Actually I seem to have found the problem.  After a lot of screaming and hair pulling and after LR laconically stating that it had experienced an unexpected error (but not providing any further information in that regard), regardless of which catalog I used and after reinstalling several times, it finally hinted that it had found a problem in the preview cache.  Since I run identical catalogs on 2 computers I copied over the preview cache from the other computer and, fingers crossed, it is behaving as it should - perfectly - and I should add as it has done ever since I first installed version 1.

Pages: [1]   Go Up