Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: portable device for editing photos  (Read 1749 times)

blkdye

portable device for editing photos
« on: October 13, 2013, 12:30:08 pm »

I should perhaps post on the beginner site, but my question is really technology related. I take a lot of nature and landscape photos and spend a lot of time editing and organizing them (one set is http://www.flickr.com/photos/96736638@N08/). After we finish our current Peace Corps service in Mexico, my husband and I will be taking a 100-day trip through Africa and Asia. I am looking for a portable tablet or light computer, preferably around $500 (though I would spend more if it were the perfect equipment), which would give me the ability to do photo editing while I travel without always needing connection to the internet. There seem to be a plethora of choices and I am hoping someone can make some suggestions for me. I just need the basic editing tools available with many programs - now I use ACDSee but I can easily adapt to another one. Thank you to anyone who can help me with this decision!!

Telecaster

Re: portable device for editing photos
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 04:39:21 pm »

I use the Photogene app on my iPad. Works rather like Lightroom...edits are applied when you render a photo to the iPad's Camera Roll (for viewing and/or export), with the original (JPEG) files remaining intact. Photogene can decode RAW data too, but you have no say in how it renders the resulting JPEGs. I find it clips the highlights too much and so use the camera-created JPEG versions of my pics instead. Note that there are also two dedicated RAW converters available for the iPad, PhotoRAW and PiRAWhna, both of which are quite flexible but also very resource-intensive. I can process RAWs from my 16mp Micro 4/3rds cameras, albeit slowly, but Pentax 645D RAWs...err, no.   ;)

-Dave-

tived

• http://
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 10:58:59 pm »

mediumcool

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:54:59 am »

Sounds as though you don’t presently shoot in RAW …

I cannot recommend a RAW workflow highly enough—it can turn a so-so snapshot into a useable and high-quality picture. Major benefits include shadow and highlight recovery, often useful in very high-contrast situations.

I use Capture One on a Macbook Air 13" (1.35Kg) when out and about, and find its performance surprisingly good with C1 (SSD assists greatly in this).

Capture One is available for MacOS and Windows, as is its main competitor, Lightroom.

HTH
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
Pages: [1]   Go Up