Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coastal CA (northern), Oregon, Washington  (Read 7326 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Coastal CA (northern), Oregon, Washington
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:04:01 am »

I'm thinking about a Coastal trip through Northern California, Oregon, and Washington state. Two questions:

1. What might I expect temperature wise in November? I'm assuming that it will be temperate since it's along the ocean.

2. What areas should not be missed? There are so many small roads that lead to secluded coves, etc.

Photographing sea stacks is one of my goals.

Jan Bell, Bell Images
www.bellimages.com

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace. Making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity." - Charles Mingus
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 10:10:00 am by bellimages »
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

rpsphoto

Re: Coastal CA (northern), Oregon, Washington
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 12:17:54 pm »

Bandon Beach in Oregon is a great place for shooting sea stacks. There are several small state parks in the area that have beach access as well. Traveling north of Bandon you will find the Dunes area...well worth a stop.

In Washington try the Long Beach peninsula with state parks, light houses and beach access. November can bring heavy weather including high winds, high tides and lots of rain. It can be very cold so be prepared for inclement weather.
Best regards,
 Bob CEO, CFO, EIEIO, Ret.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:05:11 am »

Make sure to check out Salt Point State Park on the Sonoma Coast, Northern California.  Very interesting sandstone rocks and a pygmy forest. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafoni

mshea

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 04:31:53 pm »

Try to hit Point Lobos State Park, a stone's throw south of Carmel, at sunset. Rialto and Ruby beaches in the Olympic National Park at low tide; low tide at sunset—if you're lucky enough to get one at that time of year! Loads of great driftwood shots at Rialto.

Seal Rocks on the Oregon Coast; I prefer sunrise there, but anytime is nice.

Merrill

bellimages

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 07:37:26 pm »

I've been to Salt Point. And I agree ... it's an interesting place.

bellimages

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:39:33 pm »

I've been to Point Lobos too many times to count. LOVE IT!

Thanks for the location tips on shooting in Olympic National Park ... IF our government can get their act together!

rpsphoto

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:27:56 am »

I've been to Point Lobos too many times to count. LOVE IT!

Thanks for the location tips on shooting in Olympic National Park ... IF our government can get their act together!

Yeah...be careful. Just today a school teacher and five foreign exchange students were ticketed in O.N.P. along Lake Cresent. Three of them received $125 tickets each. So...
Best regards,
 Bob CEO, CFO, EIEIO, Ret.

NashvilleMike

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 01:03:03 am »

One of my favorite locations to shoot - anywhere in North America actually - is the sea stacks around Bandon Beach. Do not miss it. Also consider the Pistol River / Meyers Creek area just south a touch of Gold Beach, an hour south of Bandon. That area of the Oregon coast (roughly speaking from Brookings through Bandon) some of the most beautiful. And the great part is that unlike so many other photo hotspots, Bandon, at least when I have been there, has been unspoiled and not stacked full of tour buses unloading ipad wielding tourists like, say, Bryce Point at sunrise or something similar.

-m

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 09:35:37 am »

Once you hit the Olympic National Park area, Ruby, Rialto, and Second Beach are all great shooting locations. First Beach is fun too but you have to walk quite a ways to the left on the beach at low tide to get good rock formations.

Don't forget to drive the road into the Hoh Rainforest. I don't actually find the rainforest itself that interesting to shoot, but there are lots of places to pull over on the way up to get interesting forest shots.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!
Pages: [1]   Go Up