Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IQ180 for timelapse - best laptop to tether?  (Read 3259 times)

gerald.d

IQ180 for timelapse - best laptop to tether?
« on: October 12, 2013, 01:12:26 am »

Hi all -

I'm going to be using my IQ180 (on FPS) for a timelapse later in the month. Plan is to shoot for around 12 hours straight, one shot every 3 seconds (note -that will result in just over a terabyte of RAWs).

I'm thinking it's probably best to buy a second-hand Macbook Pro with firewire to take care of power and storage requirements, am unsure as to which one to get. This laptop will only be used for the purpose of tethering/powering the back, and saving the RAWs.

Any advice gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: IQ180 for timelapse - best laptop to tether?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 11:59:43 am »

Sounds like an interesting project.  What is your subject?  Night or day? or both.

I am curious on what device, cable setup you are using for the intervals, intervoltmeter?  I had looked at doing some of these with my old P45+, but never found anything that allowed an interval timer for the Mamiya DF. 

Have you figured in the mandatory dark frame the 180 will shoot?  For every 3 second exposure you will have a 3 second dark frame so total exposure time is cut in half from 12 to 6 hours, (if I am figuring this correctly?) 

I am wondering if the back will get too hot in the time frame, and get a bit noisy, even with the dark frame.

As for laptop, I can't think of any machine that will run for 12 hours, but I may have missed one.  The older 2nd gen 15" Macbook pro I have on the mac side will get about 3.5 hours in a push, that's with the screen way down and no other app running.  Are you tethering to run Capture One?  as Capture one is both processor intensive and ram intensive, at least when it's processing a file, not sure about tethering for long periods of time. 

You might have to get an external battery solution like the ones the hypershop sells, as they make several that will add quite a bit of run time, or hook up to a 12 volt car battery with a converter, however this will limit your range due to the weight of the car battery.  You have a good concern on time as you would not want the laptop to go into suspend mode, sleep or anything else due to low power as I guess the session would stop.

What software are you putting such a large time lapse together with?  I regularly stack 35mm raws up to 1.5 hours in Photoshop using the "stack" modes that are included in CS6,  (and can still be downloaded for CS5 from Dr Browns website) but you need the extended version of CS5.  This would be a huge stack in converted raws even 8 bit. 

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

gerald.d

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 12:45:54 pm »

Hi Paul - this is a daytime only project, so no issues with long exposures.

I'm planning on using a Triggertrap to fire the ALPA FPS.

Back should be OK - I did a 350 image test and didn't notice any issues with the back heating up.

To clarify - I don't need the laptop to run off battery for the duration,  it will be mains powered. The laptop is there simply to provide power to the back, and to store the RAWs. No processing of the files required on site.

Software will be Panolapse.

Samples on my YouTube channel -

http://www.youtube.com/user/youstolemystuff/videos

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 01:02:11 pm »

Thanks for the info, looks like a very interesting project..  I have to look into the triggertrap if it will work on the Arca rm3di as I would like to try a few nighttime stacks, even though I know I will gaps, I have a way to remove them.   Can post more info on the setup you are using on the Alpa?  I looked up triggertrap and found a lot of cables, and such but wasn't sure of all the parts.  Thanks.

Panolapse looks interesting also.  

I use the 2nd gen i5 intel Macbook pro, 15" dispaly.  On purchase I moved the 750GB drive to the optical bay and installed a 420 solid state.  As I am mainly a windows user I wanted a lot of space.  The 3rd gen only have the one bay for data, i.e. no optical and even though I love the screens, I still like having a 2nd hard drive.   This is great laptop and is one to consider, along with the air's especially the latest ones that hold 8GB of ram.

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 01:36:32 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

jerome_m

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 04:34:15 pm »

One Terabyte of data is a lot for a laptop. This is not likely to work as planned. The hard disk may decide it needs recalibrating and freeze everything for a minute or two, for example (happened to me once when recording audio...). Or OSx will decide to run one of its numerous scripts and index its discs, purge its numerous queues or whatever. Note that Windows is probably not better.

Since you have power, you could put the data on an external drive. That might help things. Just don't connect it to the same firewire bus as the camera (e.g. use USB).

gerald.d

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 12:18:22 am »

Thanks for the info, looks like a very interesting project..  I have to look into the triggertrap if it will work on the Arca rm3di as I would like to try a few nighttime stacks, even though I know I will gaps, I have a way to remove them.   Can post more info on the setup you are using on the Alpa?  I looked up triggertrap and found a lot of cables, and such but wasn't sure of all the parts.  Thanks.

Panolapse looks interesting also.  

I use the 2nd gen i5 intel Macbook pro, 15" dispaly.  On purchase I moved the 750GB drive to the optical bay and installed a 420 solid state.  As I am mainly a windows user I wanted a lot of space.  The 3rd gen only have the one bay for data, i.e. no optical and even though I love the screens, I still like having a 2nd hard drive.   This is great laptop and is one to consider, along with the air's especially the latest ones that hold 8GB of ram.

Paul Caldwell

The cable for the ALPA FPS is one of the standard Canon ones - http://shop.triggertrap.com/collections/canon/products/triggertrap-mobile-dongle-md-e3-for-canon - the mini-jack then plugs into an ALPA mini-jack to Lemo 3-pin cable - http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/FPS/FPS_cabling/FPS_cable_type_D1.html .

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Ken R

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 09:22:23 pm »

Hi Paul - this is a daytime only project, so no issues with long exposures.

I'm planning on using a Triggertrap to fire the ALPA FPS.

Back should be OK - I did a 350 image test and didn't notice any issues with the back heating up.

To clarify - I don't need the laptop to run off battery for the duration,  it will be mains powered. The laptop is there simply to provide power to the back, and to store the RAWs. No processing of the files required on site.

Software will be Panolapse.

Samples on my YouTube channel -

http://www.youtube.com/user/youstolemystuff/videos

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Awesome stuff. Looks great!

Grischa Rueschendorf

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 09:35:52 pm »

My guess is to simply get a terabyte external thunderbolt or usb3 drive and place the Capture folder of your time lapse session onto that drive , I think the FPS battery lasts long enough for your endeavor and make sure to set the DB battery preferences to laptop. If your mains powered your off to go at least on the hard ware side , not sure about data restrictions on your software though , you might bring an extra battery for the time lapse trigger device and FPS just in case. Also make sure to use a star of the art 90 or even 120 MB / sec card.
Best of luck

figure1a

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 12:12:42 am »

As much as I love CaptureOne, there is a good chance it will freeze or crash sometime during a 12 hour session—I'm assuming that is what you will use for your tethered captures. Especially if it has to compete with OSX at any time during it's behind the scenes tasks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up