Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preferred MediaType for Staples Matte dbl-sided paper with Canon 9000-2?  (Read 1621 times)

l_d_allan

• Berean photos

I've been using Staples double-sided Matte paper (letter size) with my Canon 9000-2 for a year or so. Overall, I've found it to be decent, but grossly overpriced at the MSRP.

So far, I've been using Matte as the media-type when making printer profiles, and then printing.

My concern is that Staples Matte paper is much thicker than Canon matte paper.
* Staples Matte: 11 mil, 61 lbs., 230 g/m2
* Canon Matte: 45 lbs., 170 g/m2, box doesn't mention mil's, but it's among the thinnest inkjet papers I've use

The latest print-driver for the 9000-2 includes quite a few media-types:
* Luster
* Semi-gloss
* Pro Platinum
* Plus-Glossy-2-N

I have sometimes noticed what seems to be a light scrapping sound while printing on Staples matte paper using MediaType of Matte. Perhaps that could be the print-head in contact with the paper, especially if the matte paper isn't that flat? If so, that can't be good.

My speculation is that the media-type of Pro Platinum or Luster or Plus-Glossy-2-N might potentially result in better prints, and less potential for print-head contact with the paper.

Another option would be to select the print-driver option for "Prevent Paper Abrasion".

I thought I'd check with people on this forum with more experience and expertise to see if there was a "best practice" other than using MediaType:Matte.

FWIW: Staples Matte is very often available as a "loss leader rebate" for $1 for 50 sheets, and sometimes even "free after rebate". Over the years, I've perhaps purchased 50 to 100+ boxes, and found it very useful for give-away prints when I'm the volunteer photographer at a non-profit event.

retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear
Pages: [1]   Go Up