Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: X-Pro1 OVF or EVF  (Read 12719 times)

Vladimirovich

Re: X-Pro1 OVF or EVF
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 03:12:01 pm »

I just love Fuji's consistent firmware updates improving their existing cameras and keeping them up to date. To me it's a smart and welcomed value proposition for the customer. ;D
or rather a sloppy work by Fuji as they can't get things right w/o multiple iterations.

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 04:38:53 pm »

I'd rather have the firmware changes over time than buying a camera with problems only to find out a new, nearly exact model comes out to fix the problems.  I guess it's the view of the glass half full vs half empty.

JV

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 06:31:27 pm »

I'd rather have the firmware changes over time than buying a camera with problems only to find out a new, nearly exact model comes out to fix the problems.  I guess it's the view of the glass half full vs half empty.

+1.  Very happy with what Fuji has provided up till now.  Excellent image quality and every lens has been spot on!

TMARK

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 10:32:01 pm »

I have no problem with this. In the end it's a great camera.

or rather a sloppy work by Fuji as they can't get things right w/o multiple iterations.

bcooter

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 04:18:15 am »

In digital nobody gets it right on delivery.  

Some even get it wrong on purpose.

As mentioned at least Fuji stays on it, without asking you to fork over another grand or two to see if version 2 works.

Because I used an S2 and liked it,  fuji use to give me stuff.  Gave me an S3, (didn't like it), gave me a huge printer (liked it but cost a trillion dollars to make a print) and they'd come by, chat, ask how it's going, tell a few stories about someone we both knew that threw cameras around the room, but never, ever asked me to plug their products, read from a script or do anything other than use their stuff.

Fuji is rather unique about this and I honestly think they like photography, even some photographers, which I'm not sure most camera companies do.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 04:20:14 am by bcooter »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2013, 09:50:51 pm »

I was able to use an X Pro 1 this summer, and ended up buying a complete Fuji system -- but with a pair of XE1 bodies, not the X Pro 1. I didn't see a compelling reason to pay an extra 50% for the optical viewfinder, as in my perfunctory tests it didn't do much for me. I'd been shooting micro 4/3 for my small cameras, so I was used to an EVF, and the XE1 viewfinder is fine except for the refresh rate (fixed on the XE2.)

Then it took me several months to become comfortable with the Fuji cameras -- which is several months more than I expected :) Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, and I purchased a second-hand X Pro 1 body. It took me a full day of shooting to figure out the OVF -- exactly where it is focusing, what the frame lines mean, etc. Since then, I find that I use the OVF and the EVF about equally -- OVF with the 35mm lens, in good light, for general walk-around photography. EVF for closeups, or when I need to be sure of the exposure before shooting, or with the longer zoom or the 14mm.

I'm looking forward to the next firmware update, to see how much more accurate the OVF framelines might be. Plus being able to set a minimum shutter speed in Auto ISO will help, though it would be better for me if they fix the Exposure Compensation bug in manual mode using Auto ISO. That would make me very happy.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Vladimirovich

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 12:10:36 am »

In digital nobody gets it right on delivery.  
there is a difference between that and what Fuji does... consider CDAF from Fuji and CDAF in m43 for example  ;D

aizan

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 02:42:49 am »

ah, but consider CDAF from m43 and CDAF in Nikon 1 for example ;D

Pelao

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 08:46:37 am »

I've had the X-Pro1 for well over a year. For what it is worth most of my shots are with the OVF.

It takes a bit of work to get used to - say a few hours of shooting. I'd say that if you have a 100 or X-Pro1 and don't make the small effort to understand it you are robbing yourself of a great opportunity.

To me it's far superior to the EVF - natural light, seeing outside the frame etc.

Same with the X100s - mostly OVF.

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 11:15:19 pm »

OVF was the #1 reason I got an XP1… and eventually and x100s. lets face it, although the Fuji sensor is incredible, you don't realize that until after a few months of shooting and processing and comparing to your other gear. I was looking for a compact camera with interchangeable lenses that had an OVF and unfortunately couldn't afford that setup in Leica gear, nor would I have went the Leica M9 route after spending a weekend with a demo and processing the files. Ive been down the road with the Panny 4/3 cameras with hotshot EVF and built-in EVF, and I always went back to lugging my 5Dmk2 with a 50mm around in my man purse. The x-pro1 was the answer b/c of the finder. I am a commercial shooter who works on H3/H4 and the EVF never cut the mustard. my $.02

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 05:37:25 pm »

I was looking forward to the x-pro2 however it doesn't appear to be coming in the short term according to Fuji.

rasterdogs

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2014, 09:08:54 pm »

I've had the X-Pro1 for well over a year. For what it is worth most of my shots are with the OVF.

It takes a bit of work to get used to - say a few hours of shooting. I'd say that if you have a 100 or X-Pro1 and don't make the small effort to understand it you are robbing yourself of a great opportunity.

To me it's far superior to the EVF - natural light, seeing outside the frame etc.

Same with the X100s - mostly OVF.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Really enjoy the OVF on the X-pro1 and the 100s. The wrinkle came when I got the XF 14mm lens, it is large enough that it intrudes
more than I'd like into the OVF. I'm not real fond of the EVF but find I'm using that 90 % of the time with the XF 14.

I'm one of those who are pleased that Fuji continues to enhance their products with firmware upgrades. The tools keep getting better and better this way. I've not experienced this with my Canon gear.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up