Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: X-Pro1 OVF or EVF  (Read 12720 times)

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
X-Pro1 OVF or EVF
« on: October 11, 2013, 06:32:34 pm »

I'm considering buying a Fuji x-pro1 largely because I like the hybrid viewfinder idea. I had five minutes in the local camera shop with one yesterday and was rather impressed.

I would like feed back from owners of the camera. Which mode do they now prefer OVF or EVF.

Many thanks
Dave

AlbertInfrance

• Londoner living in France
Re: X-Pro1 OVF or EVF
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 07:41:42 pm »

There's a discussion of this in one of the dedicated Fuji forums. Dunno if I'm allowed to post a link, but here goes:

http://www.fujixspot.com/showthread.php?t=1868

In essence the OVF is fairly limited in usefulness. OK for the 18-35mm range primes but the zooms and other primes are less well served. I can't say this from personal experience 'cos I use an X-E1.
Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

DaveCurtis

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:52:23 pm »

Thanks Albert

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 11:52:27 am »

I got my X-Pro when it was first released so I have used it a lot. I use the OFV a bit, especially with some of the primes or the 18-55mm, but I have started using the EVF more. In low light or with the telephoto the EVF is best. For walking around and some scenic stuff I use the OVF, especially if I want to see objects and action that might be outside of the frame to anticipate it. Initially I did not care all that much for the EVF but now I have gotten used to it, nice thing, is it is really easy to switch between it.

The other thing is the X-Pro feels much better in my hands than does the X-e1. I bought I X-E1 for my wife, it is smaller and just not as easy for me to hold as the X-Pro so to that is more important in the long run.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Michael N. Meyer

• Michael Nathaniel Meyer Freelance
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 07:30:57 pm »

I find that I prefer the optical finder but will switch to the EVF when I'm trying to keep lines straight or frame accurately.

Most of my shooting has been with the 35mm lens, but recently I got the zoom and found I still prefer the optical finder. Once I get out to the long end of the zoom's range I do tend to switch over to the EVF.

I'd say the split is probably 75/25. With my x100, the split was even more lopsided towards the optical finder.

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 05:46:02 am »

In my instance it depends what I am doing. If I am say shooting at an event with shorter lens, say the 14 or 35mm I like the OFV it allows one to see things in real time & with no lag. The viewing area is also larger, it allows you to see things as they enter and exit the frame lines.

I also do a fair amount of close up work using the standard & macro lenses. Parallax becomes an issue here with the OFV, switch to EFV and you have the wonderful option to magnify the image in the viewfinder or back LCD to aid in focusing at either 3x or 10x. The frame is the same size as what the sensor records

I also have the 55-200 tele zoom and find the EFV is the only option here.
Warren

DaveCurtis

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 02:33:02 am »

Thanks Guys,

It sounds like both view finders work well together.

I have noticed reading the x-pro1 threads is that some photographer with DSLR backgrounds find the OVF rather limiting while many photographers with a  Leica rangefinder background find the OVF great.

I suppose the question now is, is it worth while getting the X-pro1 this late in the cycle or wait for the x-pro2 ?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 09:27:00 am »

They will announce the new version of the X-E2 this Friday, and who knows when the new X-Pro will get announced. I guess it depends on your need, is a camera in hand and taking pictures worth more than holding off for the next generation? One of the things I did when the X-Pro 1 was first announced was I rented it from Lensrentals.com and I liked it enough that I ordered it, and I have used it a lot for the 18 months or so since I have had it. I have used it way more than I used my dslr, it easier to carry etc. But then it is hard to say what features a new camera will have, Fuji does have a good track record of listening to users. If a new camera comes out with features I can really use then I will probably upgrade and keep the X-Pro as a backup, but until then I can enjoy and use what I have to take pictures.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 12:16:05 pm »

I have recently bought a used XPro1, after dipping into the Fuji X system last July with the XE1. The XPro1 is almost 2 years old, when it was first introduced, the kit with the 35mm was around 2200 euros in Portugal. Now one can get it for 1200 euros. I got the camera only, hardly used, for 650 euros. Quite a nice deal for a fantastic and unique camera.

So if you get a good opportunity to buy one, do not hesitate.

Petrus

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 12:56:12 pm »

Optical viewfinder when timing is important (any action, street, etc.). Electronic with static subjects (portraits, architecture, landscape, macro. etc).

Harald L

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 06:41:45 pm »

There are several situations where the OFV is really helpful. Shooting in very bright sunlight for instance. Or something like that where a OFV with much space around the effective picture is really helpful.

Harald

Glad to be an amateur

JV

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 09:43:40 pm »

Optical viewfinder when timing is important (any action, street, etc.). Electronic with static subjects (portraits, architecture, landscape, macro. etc).

I personally never use the OVF but I am probably indeed more to be found in the 2nd group.

I could probably do with an X-E2 although I like the size of the X-Pro1 better.  Seems to fit my hands better.

dmward

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 08:13:12 pm »

I ordered and tested an X-Pro-1 early in its product cycle and was really disappointed with focus performance. So it went back.
Earlier this some I came across a used sample with a couple of lens and picked it up. The newer firmware solved the focus problem.

Long ago I had Leica M4s and loved them for some applications, also using SLRs and Hassys for other work.

As others have said, the OVF is a great feature, especially with wider lens or when wanting to see what's going on around the image area.
Then again, the EVF is a nice resource as well for macro, or with longer lenses. Kind of like an electronic version of the ViseFlex housing I had with my M4s for longer lenses.

If is decide to get a second body for the system it will be a XE2. However, if just one body I would always want the OVF option.

EgillBjarki

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 02:19:21 am »

I have been using X100 for about two years. In most cases I prefer the EVF, there is no other way to know if the focus is right. On a sunny day, I am very happy to be able to switch to the OVF. I guess I can give a better feedback in a week or two, I am expecting a X-E2, XF14mm and XF35mm tomorrow.

Deardorff

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2013, 04:03:56 am »

I got one for the optical finder. Got rid of the X-E1 partly because it did not have the optical finder. Nothing wrong with its electronic finder but I like the optical finder and having the option with the X pro1 is nice.

Biggest advantage for me with the change is a simple one - the X-Pro1 is the right size in my hands. The X-E1 was just too small to be comfortable shooting. We are all different and most would probably love the smaller body - I just could not use it easily because of its size.

rasterdogs

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 10:54:03 am »

I use the OVF 99% of the time when I'm using the xf 18mm or 35mm lenses. The OVF and those 2 lenses are a fine combo.

Recently I got the XF14mm (great) lens. Using the 14mm I find I'm using the EVF most often.

The larger body of the 14 blocks more of the view in the OVF than do the other 2 lenses.

I'm pondering getting the XF23 mm but think the OVF blocking will be an even bigger issue with that lens. Since this is my favorite focal length
I'm inclined to think that the 100s camera with it's fixed 23 mm lens may be the better choice

I'm finding that lenses with larger/longer bodies work best with the EVF. 

The EVF is ok but I'm partial to the OVF. It's pretty nifty the X-pro1 has a hybrid viewfinder.

-JimD

Harald L

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 06:36:15 pm »

... I'm pondering getting the XF23 mm but think the OVF blocking will be an even bigger issue with that lens. Since this is my favorite focal length...

Go and buy the 23mm lens. It's a honey and you won't regret that! Because it's not using the full OVF-Frame the effective blocking is much smaller that the 35mm lens (without that ugly monster lens hood)

Harald
Glad to be an amateur

rasterdogs

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 09:23:50 am »

Go and buy the 23mm lens. It's a honey and you won't regret that! Because it's not using the full OVF-Frame the effective blocking is much smaller that the 35mm lens (without that ugly monster lens hood)

Harald

Thanks, I forgot to consider how the field of view fits in the view finder!

The 14mm pretty much fills the window of the OVF.

Now I'll need to ponder where I'll get the funds for the XF23mm lens.  Bye-bye Canon?   ;)

-JimD

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 10:33:05 am »

On Friday there is supposed to be a new update from Fuji for the X-Pro 1 and one of the things it adds is the framing is more accurate in the OVF, which has been one minor complaint some people have and it will also add features to auto iso, like setting minimum shutter speed etc. Also the exposure settings will now actually show in the EVF as well so you can gauge exposure more easily. Here is the press release:
http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n131128_03.html

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 02:49:33 pm »

I just love Fuji's consistent firmware updates improving their existing cameras and keeping them up to date. To me it's a smart and welcomed value proposition for the customer. ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up