Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Leica M240 firmware produces better colours with Camera Raw / Lightroom?  (Read 9228 times)

jrp

The new Leica M240 firmware seems to produce better white balance / colours.

Since the current version of Lightroom / ACR was produced with the old firmware, will it require recalibration to get the best out of the new firmware, or does Lightroom / ACR rely only on some parameters in the .DNG file that have, presumably, been updated by the new firmware, in which case no further tweaks to will be required.

To complicate things, there is an "Embedded" profile in the .DNG file that produces slightly different results, but is supposedly not as accurate as the Adobe Default (because it contains only a few parameters).

Can anyone explain how all this works?

Vladimirovich

To complicate things, there is an "Embedded" profile in the .DNG file that produces slightly different results, but is supposedly not as accurate as the Adobe Default (because it contains only a few parameters).

"Adobe Standard" profiles are not targeting "accurate", they are targeting some standard color that Adobe thinks is good and trying to provide consistent color across various cameras... DNG has embedded dcp color profile created by Leica itself

Vladimirovich

The new Leica M240 firmware seems to produce better white balance / colours.

firmware does not alter CFA characteristics and if Leica does not use (most probably not) what some people call "WB preconditioning" (or any other extreme ways to modify raw data postcapture) then your raws are still the same in terms of being worked with using raw converters... however new firmware affects most probably OOC JPGs generated in camera - hence your thoughts...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

My guess is that firmware matters little, except white balance. If the camera gives a 'better' white balance the images will be 'better'. Unfortunately, what is better is in the eyes of the beholder. What I assume is that Adobe measures CGA response using a monochromator and calculates "profiles" from those data.

You can use any white balance in Lightroom/ACR, but if the camera produces a nice WB point it is most helpful.

If you build camera profiles using Adobe DNG Profile Editor or ColorChecker Passport the software ignores WB, but a good white balance helps when you apply that profile to an image.

Best regards
Erik

firmware does not alter CFA characteristics and if Leica does not use (most probably not) what some people call "WB preconditioning" (or any other extreme ways to modify raw data postcapture) then your raws are still the same in terms of being worked with using raw converters... however new firmware affects most probably OOC JPGs generated in camera - hence your thoughts...
Erik Kaffehr

jrp

Hi,

My guess is that firmware matters little, except white balance. If the camera gives a 'better' white balance the images will be 'better'. Unfortunately, what is better is in the eyes of the beholder. What I assume is that Adobe measures CGA response using a monochromator and calculates "profiles" from those data.

You can use any white balance in Lightroom/ACR, but if the camera produces a nice WB point it is most helpful.

If you build camera profiles using Adobe DNG Profile Editor or ColorChecker Passport the software ignores WB, but a good white balance helps when you apply that profile to an image.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks.  I'm not sure about the WB pre-conditioning; they certainly seem to adjust the RAWs to remove vignetting and the Italian flag issue that arises with wide angle lenses.  And they have adjusted things to improve skin tones.

As you say, WB is in the eye of the beholder and even the same picture generates different camera profiles using Adobe DNG Profile Editor and ColorChecker Passport (I have not tried QPCard) so I guess that it's just the usual matter of trying different settings and seeing what you like.

Vladimirovich

Thanks.  I'm not sure about the WB pre-conditioning; they certainly seem to adjust the RAWs to remove vignetting

do they or they rather provide instructions in DNG files for a raw converter to do that ?

Pages: [1]   Go Up