Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here still using older, "legacy" backs?  (Read 8194 times)

DanielStone

Anyone here still using older, "legacy" backs?
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:51:14 pm »

I've just made my pair of "Godzillas"(GX680III bodies) digitally-compliant using an H25 back. Having a few spare mins this evening I hooked it up to C1(v6) and did a few test shots to run through everything. Well, everything works fine, but boy: I NOW realize why so many of ya'll have talked down about the GX680 and using it for digital capture ;)... Wires EVERYWHERE!!! I might have to pick up a Hasselblad 501CM or motor body down the line, since I like shooting people, but using the camera handheld :D. If I want to keep using the GX for handheld work, I'll need a Markus Klinko style rig!

For me it's not a "huge" issue per se, but it's not a "portable" solution by far.... I wish I could use the body's trigger button instead of the one on the 1-shot box or the cable release for it, as I've come to really like its position when shooting handheld(or on a tripod) with film(which I'll still shoot).

So, to the point of my question: is anyone here still using older, "legacy"(like tether only) backs? Personally, I prefer shooting tethered when using digital(even dslr's), but I can defintely see the benefits of newer back that can use CF cards(and especially those that have high-res screens, like the IQ's and Credo's).

So, anyone still rockin a 2004/'05 or earlier lower-res digital back(like an H-series or Valeo, etc.) for their workflow(even if personal work)?

cheers,
Dan

this one I shot the other day, using a friend's 500CM/80CF combo(which seemed to have a mis-set focusing screen which had some back-focus issues) using my H25 back...

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:57:27 pm by DanielStone »

slackercruster

Re: Anyone here still using older, "legacy" backs?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 12:40:40 am »

No, not until they make an affordable FF 6mp back for my SWC.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 12:45:04 am »

Be prepared for a long wait... or use film, even if film is arguably more than 6MP.

Best regards
Erik

No, not until they make an affordable FF 6mp back for my SWC.
Erik Kaffehr

torger

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 01:46:12 am »

Looking at the second hand market the tether-only backs seem hard to sell. I think older backs are generally used by amateurs, and I don't think the tethered workflow is as popular among amateurs as among professionals. Amateurs rarely work in a studio or with a model "on location", but do things like landscape photography, street photography and other genres where the tethered workflow is less suited.

photo570

• http://www.shoot.co.nz
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 05:30:46 am »

Hi Dan,

I do. I have a GX680III that I use with a Valeo17 almost every day tethered in the studio. I did not go the Kapture Group route. Do a search on ebay, there is a guy in Taiwan selling cameras that have been modified to work with a simply short sync cable. I am not at work right now but can send you more info and even a pic if you PM me with your email address. Also works a treat with my Aptus II 5 and will work with any Phase back. Hasselblad backs don't need the one shot box, just a sync cable so a HB back or a modded camera make a descent portable solution.

Cheers,
Jason Berge.

Jason Berge
www.shoot.co.nz

JonTScheuler

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:48:54 am »

I have both a "Lightphase" (6 megapixel), and a P25+ (22 megapixel) that I use on multiple camera systems.(Mamiya RB's, Hasselblad C2003, and 2X3 and 4X5 technical (View) Cameras. It's gotten too difficult to use film, and the darkroom is in the basement. Digital is nice on my old bones, and more limited attention span.

galupi20

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 10:55:30 pm »

Having fun with Sinar 54M with : Mamiya 645 AFD II, Mamiya RZ67, Hasselblad 500CM and Arca Swiss M-Line 2

Luis

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 01:29:14 pm »

I use a Imacon/Hassb. CF 528 on a Rollei 6008AF    It's much more portable than their backs tied to the image bank.  In terms of digital backs, this thing is a grandfather, but the results are great.
Rolleiflex USA

sarinale

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 09:56:11 am »

For people the P30 or P30+ is a good choice and you can find them at reasonable prices now (especially H mount is usually a good deal and I noticed that the H system is getting cheaper on the second hand market).

H1 with P30+ is a really nice combination.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 01:19:56 pm »

Looking at the second hand market the tether-only backs seem hard to sell. I think older backs are generally used by amateurs, and I don't think the tethered workflow is as popular among amateurs as among professionals.

They maybe harder to sell, but you'd be clueless to think that these are "generally used by amateurs. You maybe thinking about the very few experimentalists/fine artists.

In fact those that know their tools will get what they need. Sometimes they need a marketing tool more than a top end digital back.
Amateurs and pros alike with extra $ are the ones looking for latest and greatest. Studios with budgets are doing just fine with DB's they have.  My scope of it is 2 large studios and 2 small. Some places list it as part of their arsenal, but they simply rent it as need be. H25, P25, these I don't think are "legacy"(H10, yes) , they are still supported. Spending $20-25K even 9 years ago and not have it work would drop fans and support rather quick. We trust and buy these as we expect EU market to have a long term metality when they build things, not the model of built in obsolescence in engineering... we are used to seeing that in other markets.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 04:12:44 pm »

I work tethered most of the time. I work with late versions of DB's but I have been working with a Leaf Valeo for a long time (on 500 series and Digiflex). Today I still consider the Valeo one of the most reliable pieces of equipment. That thing just went on and on. you could step on the firewire, jank it out, jam it back in and after the beep and the led turning green it would simply go on again. Leaf backs also did not need wake up cables. HB backs in name did not need them too but in some cases they did, also these backs were not as stables as the Leaf backs.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 06:19:56 pm »

I still have my Mamiya 645 with ZD back and it still produces images with a depth that I've not encountered from a dSLR. A dealer told me it is now worth only a fraction of what I bought if for, not sue that I believe him so hanging on to it for now.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:22:53 pm by Justinr »

JV

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 07:47:26 pm »

For people the P30 or P30+ is a good choice and you can find them at reasonable prices now (especially H mount is usually a good deal and I noticed that the H system is getting cheaper on the second hand market).

H1 with P30+ is a really nice combination.

+1.  And you should be able to find a H1/P30+ combo for no more than $6-7K.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 09:45:26 pm »

P45+ sold for 7.5K with some gear along with it!

johnpaulurizar

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 05:57:56 am »

Hi

I am a huge fan of the GX680III camera with digital back. I use it with Phase One P25+ and Leaf Aptus 22 both in H mount. I could not be happier. My favourite lens is the beautiful GX 115 f3.2. I use the Kapture group solution, however you can run with only one wake up cable. Simply wake the back up, shoot camera and then press the wake up cable to turn exposure off the back.

Re legacy back, you can not go wrong with either two backs I have. Medium format forces you to be more critical and slow down which is the part I like. I own a canon 5 D mark III which is great but you do shoot more and spend more time in Capture One Pro. One other thing you need to ask yourself is storage space for your archives, bigger files means more storage. I archive raw and exported files, imagine what happens to your storage on a beautiful IQ280 phase one back.

I am about to do a massive post on my blog page on my website.

Kind regards

John Paul Urizar

www.johnpaulurizar.com.au

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 03:42:50 pm »

very nice kitchen interior images JohnPaul

ondebanks

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 09:58:13 pm »

Still very satisfied with a Kodak DCS645M (produced between 2002-2004) that I got in 2010 and a Mamiya 645AFD.
Can be tethered over Firewire but I normally use the revolutionary (at the time! ;)) "integral LCD/CF-card/Li-ion battery"...

Sometimes I use it without the IR-block filter...it's really two backs in one:

Ray

bauerjv

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 11:14:43 pm »

I recently purchased a Leaf Valeo 22wi, and matched it to a Bronica ETRSi.  Seems to be working very well, although I am still finding some quirks.  I had some trouble with the digital magazine for portable use, but was able to get a compact flash unit working.  Anyway, you can find more info at http://revjvbauer.com/Rev._Jeff_Bauers_Web_Site/Medium_Format_Digital_6x4.5.html  - anyone interested, I have included some of my learnings about the digital back in the blog at that same site.  I use the MF camera mostly in the field for landscapes and pictures of interesting buildings.  Jeff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up