Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4900 Maintenance Mode?  (Read 14590 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Epson 4900 Maintenance Mode?
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:20:19 pm »

I've got a stubborn PK/VM clog - at least the nozzle pattern is broken up a bit, but the prints appear fine.  I'd just like to clean it up all together. I've done a few power cleaning, regular cleaning, printing, shut down, rest, etc., cycles but it's still there.  I looked into the Maintenance Mode as the manual says it can do a "super cleaning" but it doesn't appear in the Maintenance Mode menu that I can see.  Any clues to where that little feature is?
Mike Guilbault

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Re: Epson 4900 Maintenance Mode?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 01:31:32 pm »

I've got a stubborn PK/VM clog - at least the nozzle pattern is broken up a bit, but the prints appear fine.  I'd just like to clean it up all together. I've done a few power cleaning, regular cleaning, printing, shut down, rest, etc., cycles but it's still there.  I looked into the Maintenance Mode as the manual says it can do a "super cleaning" but it doesn't appear in the Maintenance Mode menu that I can see.  Any clues to where that little feature is?

Is your printer on the latest firmware?  They've added a few things over time.

I've been very lucky to not have bad clogs.  I've only had one stubborn one.  That time, I had to user supersonic cleaning in maintenance mode.  Everything lower than that wasn't doing the trick.  Warning, it consumed close to 700ml of ink - on the 9900.  Was very pissed off about that, but it did the trick.  Unsure if the 4900 will do less since the lines are shorter.
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

jrsforums

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 03:05:35 pm »

Mike....

I believe the "super cleaning" mode is left over from prior x900 manuals.  If you note, the follow on text of maintenance mode functions makes no mention of it. 

There is also no "super clean" in the maintenance program.  There is an initial ink load function, which is similar to what one does on initial setup.  Unfortunately, it requires doing one entire bank of carts at a time.

I used it when I had a total PK/MK dropout, which was, I suspect, caused by air introduced by changing black inks.

Recently, after a few weeks vacation, I had some VM problems...clog or air, most likely.  Test, clean, print, repeat, repeat, repeat....two days worth....about ready to give up....3rd day, magically worked on first test...???

Similar clog on 3880, after a few month idle....two cycles and done.

John
John

JeffW

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 09:02:51 pm »

I too have had to resort to a complete recharge in order to clear out a lazy nozzle. During the first two years of ownership, I had continual, and I do mean continual problems with clogs. I am a hobbiest who prints occasionally.

Recently, 6 months ago, I acquired a copy of the Harvey Head Cleaner. I have not had a single clog to date. Knock on wood, but it seems to have taken away all the ills.

I bought an inexpensive roll of 36" wide plain copy paper and cut it into 10 inch wide. I have it in my machine with no cut set to on. Every morning I use about 3" of paper.

Burning some ink, but one hell of a lot less than doing a charge to clear a clog.

jrsforums

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 09:31:51 pm »

There does not appear to be a Harvey Head Cleaner version for the 4900.
John

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:24:10 pm »

The PK was totally clogged at first (I hadn't used the printer for almost 2 weeks) but I got most of it back by doing repeated cleans and printing - and strangely after I did a PK/MK swap, it almost cleared completely.  Still a couple blanks and one or two on the VM and VLM as well.  I'll keep plugging away with power cleans and printing.  As I mentioned, the prints seem to be coming out fine but the nozzle check shows gaps.
Mike Guilbault

Floyd Davidson

• Images From Barrow Alaska
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 12:53:54 am »

I'll keep plugging away with power cleans and printing.  As I mentioned, the prints seem to be coming out fine but the nozzle check shows gaps.

Can't guarantee results, but this has worked very well with Epson 4880 and 7890 printers that occasionally don't see use for considerable time.

Use a large sheet of paper (waste paper, for example from a rejected print, is fine) and use an image that won't print much, except  perhaps in the middle portion.  When about half the sheet has fed through, pour a puddle of isopropyl alcohol on the sheet and let the head "print" through it a couple dozen times.  Eject the paper, wipe up as much of the alcohol as possible, and then just wait for the rest to evaporate.  Or perhaps just feed another sheet of "waste" paper through and let it print a nozzle check.

I've never had to do that twice.

JeffW

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 02:35:01 pm »

I wrote to Harvey Head Cleaner with the same question, 4900 not listed. They sent me a version III-A and it has worked just fine. You might contact them to see which version to download.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 02:27:05 am »

I can see how the Harvey Head Cleaner would help to prevent clogs, but don't see how it would repair one.  That isopropyl alcohol trick might do it though.  When you say "print through it a couple dozen times", Floyd, I assume you mean the head travels through the puddle that many times and then eject the paper - right?
And where are you wiping up the excess alcohol from?
Mike Guilbault

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 01:50:45 pm »

Floyd... what isopropyl alcohol are you using?  I can only find 99%, but I know I used to be able to get 99.9%.
Mike Guilbault

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 02:28:09 pm »

Not sure about that alcohol trick.

Go to YouTube and google Epson 4880 and Conde system.
You will find a video of Conde's head tech support gal putting cleaning fluid on the capping station.
I think that is the right way to do it.
I use the process on my Dye Sub 4880 and 9900 and use Inkjet cleaning Fluid CLF-007P.
They give you a little suction tube with the kit and it has cut my clogs way back keeping that pad moist with cleaning fluid.
Watch the video and make up your own mind.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:30:16 pm by Dan Berg »

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 03:54:22 pm »

Thanks Dan.
Mike Guilbault

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 03:04:19 pm »

Windex didn't work - made it worse actually and it took me quite a few cleanings to get it back to at least where it was.  I've still got a stubborn PK, VLM & C channel.  There's a few gaps in each in the printed nozzle check but when I make a print, I can't detect any problems. I've got some Isopropyl Alcohol (99.9%) on order so will try that next -
and then, where, or can you, get (in Ontario - or at least Canada) the CLF-007P cleaning fluid?
Mike Guilbault

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 05:48:55 pm »

www.americaninkjetsystems2.com
You will have to ask them about Canadian shipping.

JeffW

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 06:34:55 pm »

Mike,

I have tried the windex trick as well and ran into the same problem. I think what happens is that the windex wicks the ink out of the head. Then it takes lots of work to get it back. For me I had complete drop out on PK, I could only get one jet back at a time and only if I let it sit overnight between cleanings. Frustrating to the max. My last go around I had a stubborn clog and finally resorted to actuating the charge the line function. It worked but wasted LOTS of ink.

Once I got it going I started using the Harvey Head Cleaner and I can honestly say I have gone about six months now without a single dropout. I am not trying to sell HHC, but am say to print often. I saw a video from an Epson rep, he stated that if you print an 8-1/2 x 11 everyday for a month, you will use less ink than in one cleaning cycle. Don't know if that is true or not.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 11:30:28 pm »

Dan... American Ink said that they will ship to Canada so I may try that next - and if I get it working, looks like a good solution for regular maintenance.

Jeff... where do I find how to actuate the line function?  Not familiar with that.
Mike Guilbault

JeffW

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 09:36:49 pm »

Go to www.2manuals.com. They have a service program that you can buy which allows you to actuate the line charge function. They also have a service manual for the printer.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 10:15:00 pm »

I found something about resetting a counter, but nothing on actuating the lines.  Do  you have a direct link?
Mike Guilbault

JeffW

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 11:52:24 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up