Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A request to review the new Pentax K-3  (Read 7690 times)

Peter Mellis

A request to review the new Pentax K-3
« on: October 10, 2013, 11:23:04 am »

Ricoh/Pentax has just released the new Pentax K-3; on paper this appears to be a lot of camera for the money. Although the seemingly endless stream of releases for other formats may make a new APS-C DSLR seem ho-hum, there are some of us that find this to be the right tool for what we shoot. I use Pentax cameras for my digital (and occasional 35mm film) work and have a fair number of lenses. That said, I would like to see a typical LL review, with the emphasis on IQ. Hopefully, the combination of the camera's specs/price point, plus that fact that there are an awful lot of Pentax mount lenses out there, would make this interesting enough to take a pass at.

RobbieV

• My work.
Re: A request to review the new Pentax K-3
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 04:33:26 pm »

If I wanted to read anything, I'd be more interested in a review of their (limited) lenses. Pentax is known for extracting every last amount of DR from the Sony sensor in the K-5/II/II-s series.  The K-3 is rumoured to use a Toshiba 24mp sensor instead of the Sony one, and it shouldn't be a slouch in any regard.

The review of the K-7 here touches on the usability and ergonomics (which I find excellent - after handling the comparable models from Nikon, Sony and Canon, I walked away with a Pentax), and the K-3 is mostly the same control layout. Sean Reid champions the controls as well.

Even though I will continue to shoot with Pentax lenses for a number of reasons, I would still find it interesting to read what Michael thinks about the latest "updated" Limited line-up. Maybe a review of the 560mm as well, if for nothing more than to see what another experienced eye thinks about their glass.

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 05:14:02 am »

I too would be interested in Michael's thoughts this camera & how it performs not only IQ wise but how responsive the AF is with a variety of lenses. Perhaps out of the realm for this forum but I am sort of looking for a moderately priced DSLR camera to shoot some youth sports & wildlife with on occasion. Tire kicking of you will.
Warren

Thomas Koenig

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 06:03:56 pm »

I fear Michael won't write any comments on the Pentax K-3, simply because the camera is in many ways a me too product. Only the AA filter simulation and USB 3.0 are stand alone features (so fare). Both are of restricted values.
What were the real innovations or lenses from Pentax in recent times compared to the Sony Alpha 7(R)?

Please, don't get me wrong. I'm Pentaxian too, but a bit disappointed.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 01:09:32 pm »

I think you put it into words very well. I understand completely why Michael hasn't reviewed a Pentax since what...the K-7?  All iterations after it were "good enough" IQ-wise, although the controls are in my opinion the best in the industry. I still have a few gripes, but compared to Canon especially, it was no contest.

Still, I'd like to have someone like Michael review the Limited lenses. I'm not really interested in reading more technical reviews of them. More so in what MR thinks of them, written in his own style. I know Mike Johnston raves about the 35mm 2.8 macro in particular, but I'd like some more opinions in this regard from professionals who can comment on the rendering with more insight than a typical forum dweller.

DickKirkley

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 12:00:01 pm »

Don't hold your breath!

In MR's article  written after visiting the New York Photkina, posted today, he doesn't even include Pentax/Ricoh as one of the camera maker. The article is of course directed at the decline in consumer level camera sales. But, I repeat, he listed all of the  players except Pentax.
 I understand the K3 was on exhibit at Photokina and I have read some very favourable reviews. But like I said don't hold your  breath. Michael has other fish to fry. IMO
Dick K.
LRNav

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 01:03:30 pm »

The K-3 does look interesting.
However looking at the crazy lens price increase Ricoh have shoved on K mount I think we might as well forget about Pentax increasing it's market position.
I've also personal experience of the brand, and the complete lack of customer support is enough for me to strongly suggest others avoid the company.

Camera looks nice, but it's small feed in the greater scheme of things.

DickKirkley

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 06:39:53 pm »

The K-3 does look interesting.
However looking at the crazy lens price increase Ricoh have shoved on K mount I think we might as well forget about Pentax increasing it's market position.
I've also personal experience of the brand, and the complete lack of customer support is enough for me to strongly suggest others avoid the company.

Camera looks nice, but it's small feed in the greater scheme of things.

Hi Barry; You are partly right; certainly the lens prices are high especially the Ltd's. But  how do those prices compare with Canikon's? And their market share is not what it was in the film days.

However they do have a  large and loyal but perhaps aging fan base. The current K5's and the newly released K3 are  competitively priced and have superior IQ to even some FF cameras.
As for customer support I own 4 Pentax cameras and in over 40 years have never had occasion to  call customer support so can neither support nor deny your observation.

Loyalty, reliability, quality, great IQ though must count for something more than your dismal assessment.

Cheers
Dick K.
Pages: [1]   Go Up