Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antelope Canyon  (Read 9808 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Antelope Canyon
« on: October 10, 2013, 03:58:04 am »

Is it worth visiting in late February, or will the sun be too low?

Jeremy
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:43:14 pm by kikashi »

Roman Racela

Re: Antelope Canyon
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 03:57:45 pm »

If you want the best light and practically no crowd, go during Mother's Day or Father's Day. :)

Angle of the sun during summer hits the canyon just right!

Is it worth visiting in late February, or will the sun be too low?

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 02:27:06 pm »

Interesting, Roman, but it doesn't really answer my question: I won't be there in May or June.

Anyone know about February?

Jeremy

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 12:29:44 pm »

You won't get the beams of light coming into the canyon but it's still a worthwhile place to visit and photograph in February.  I've got a 32" x 48" print from Antelope Canyon in the front window of my gallery right now that was shot in February and we sell several of them each year.  The best part about going in February?  You might have the whole canyon to yourself.  My friend and I were the only people in the canyon and we were there for 4 hours.

Enjoy!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 02:24:16 pm »

Thanks, Bret. My timetable is still highly uncertain (it depends rather on whether my application for a ticket to The Wave succeeds), but the solitude sounds very appealing. I assume it's safe to be there on my own.

Jeremy

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 02:46:45 pm »

Thanks, Bret. My timetable is still highly uncertain (it depends rather on whether my application for a ticket to The Wave succeeds), but the solitude sounds very appealing. I assume it's safe to be there on my own.

I see no reason for it to be unsafe in Antelope Canyon when you're there alone.  There are no technical challenges to overcome that might require the assistance of a partner.  There are ladders in place where there is a steep descent that make it easy to maneuver through the canyon.

gchappel

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 05:03:41 pm »

i was there last Feb- it was great.  It was actually too windy to go in a couple of days.
The light is different, the colors are more pastel.  No, there are no lightbeams- but the contrast is less
and it was easy to get great images and colors.
And, no, even in Feb you will not be there by yourself.  Upper Antelope was filled with foreign tourists.
Lower Antelope was less crowded- but certainly not empty. 
Lower flooded this summer, and portions were closed as of a couple of months ago.  I am not certain
of their present conditions.
Good luck with your wave application- I have had no luck so far
Gary

Roman Racela

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 07:38:20 pm »

Bret is right. No light beams or shafts at that time of the year but it is still worth going to and just like Bret said no one really goes there so you'll have the canyon to yourself!!! You'll have colors that are closer to lovely pastels rather than the glowing reds, oranges, yellows and purples.

Interesting, Roman, but it doesn't really answer my question: I won't be there in May or June.

Anyone know about February?

Jeremy

marcmccalmont

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 11:29:28 am »

Just went there yesterday for the first time
It had rained so no dust so I took my digital back/tech camera
Awesome even without the light shafts!
Marc
Marc McCalmont

TSJ1927

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 03:07:19 pm »

This shot was done on a P30+ at 110mm.  One thing you will experience on a clear day are Multi-Kelvin temps.  No one grey patch will fix everything on a day like this. To me, blue sandstone is just wrong.  Its just needs correction in post.  I would imagine if photography were done on an overcast day colors would be much more realistic. I never made it out there on such day.

aross007

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 10:32:58 pm »

I've been to the Antelopes in early March, and can highly recommend it.  First attached photo (not one I'm proud of!) shows light beams in upper on the first of March at about noon.  They are not vertical like they would be in midsummer, but they were there.  There were only four of us on the photo tour (tours required for upper.) and about 10 people came through while we were there. 

The other photo was in lower on the 11th of March.  Self guided photo tour, and 2 or 3 groups came through while we were there.

You probably won't take a unique picture, but its one of the things you have to do

Alan

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 12:58:25 am »

You probably won't take a unique picture, but its one of the things you have to do

Alan

So true. Love seeing these different versions of this majestic place....Here is one about 10 years ago.....
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 03:36:50 am »

I've been to the Antelopes in early March, and can highly recommend it.  First attached photo (not one I'm proud of!) shows light beams in upper on the first of March at about noon.  They are not vertical like they would be in midsummer, but they were there.  There were only four of us on the photo tour (tours required for upper.) and about 10 people came through while we were there. 

Thanks. Coincidentally, if I do go to Antelope (I've failed to get a ticket to The Wave, so my plans are rather inchoate at the moment), it's likely to be on 11th March.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up