Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back Pack for MFS  (Read 4069 times)

JoeKitchen

Back Pack for MFS
« on: October 09, 2013, 09:02:58 pm »

I would like to get a backpack for my system.  The pelican case is nice, but too much for on the go shooting, and a sling type satchel with one strap is too much on your back with a heavy system.  What would you suggest?

I use an Arca Swiss RM3Di and would like to get a backpack that could fit that camera, a sliding back with a digital back attached, 4 or 5 lenses, LCC board and such.  I would like a pack that can fit all of this, a long with maybe my laptop and lunch. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Back Pack for MFS
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 09:53:34 pm »

I really like www.fstopgear.com 

With their ICU system, you really have a lot of flexibility with a very comfortable pack.  For quick and short forays I still use a small lightweight Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW.

ken

torger

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 04:07:38 am »

I'm moving to fstopgear myself, but it takes ample time, the gear is almost always backordered for months :-\. I've got my ICU (the largest X-Large was the only one big enough to fit my gear) it took 2.5 months to get, and now I'm waiting for the bag itself (the largest, the Satori EXP). Their inability to deliver which never seems to change has caused many users to become irritated, but once they have the gear most seem very very pleased indeed.

The problem I have with most camera bags is that they are not designed to carry heavy gear (10+ kg) for long periods of time, so usually customizing a hiking or climbing backpack would be better for the types of hikes I like. Here in Sweden there's a strong tradition of walking far in the mountains carrying all with you (sleeping bag, tent, food clothing etc) so we are a bit picky about backpack design. Fstopgear seems to be an exception from the typical camera bags though, their design is very similar to modern hiking backpacks.

I've attached a picture showing a packing example in the X-large ICU. One problem with MF gear is that the sizing is not DSLR-standard so you might need to do some less than fair-looking puzzling with the internal separators. The green ones in the picture I've taken from a different bag. Another suboptimal thing for my Techno is that the Linhof gear has lower profile than the bag itself, so about one inch of the depth becomes unused. I'm going to solve this by having a thin box with filters below the camera body, and store seldom-accessed small stuff below the lenses (extra batteries, spare loupe etc), that way I get more efficient use of the depth of the box. The RM3Di gear could fit better or worse, don't know about its measurements.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:13:08 am by torger »

ltucker

• lonnatucker.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 11:11:05 am »

Hi Joe,

i have the Arca-Swiss Rm3di and have been using a Tenba Roadie backpack for commercial projects, shorter hikes for landscape work, and sometimes air travel. This pack is easy to work out of, as it has an insane amount of exterior storage - top compartment, 4 side pockets, and a large zippered storage for laptop and other stuff. When shooting landscape, I hang it from the hook underneath my Gitzo with a small carabiner, but it also has the main entry inside the pack via the harness side so you don't get wet, muddy or dusty if the pack is placed on the ground to access your gear. The pack is deep enough that it is possible to leave your digital back, Rotamount, and body stowed flat inside the pack. I take the lenses off for transport and storage, and have a bodycap that fits inside the helical mount. Lots of room inside for an additional 3-4 lenses, batteries, viewfinder, lightmeter, etc.

http://www.tenba.com/Products/Roadie-HDSLR-Video-Backpack.aspx

DanielStone

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:03:25 pm »

I use a slightly different system myself, but a lot of us LF photographers who are "gear guys"(not me anymore) like the Photobackpacker line of products, like the 4-lens case below:
http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=55db7af36ca904c877c19fccbeb14be9&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RPT&Product_Code=LS-1150-4&Category_Code=RPT02

Their entire lens case product line:
https://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=55db7af36ca904c877c19fccbeb14be9&Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RPT&Category_Code=RPT02

I use a fishing-reel case to house my lenses(on Technika boards), and other small, misc acc's. I carry this + 5x7 holders in a regular Dakine backpack that has nice, WIDE straps. Total "system" cost w/ backpack and reel case: UNDER $60 :)! This might be a lower-cost option if you like it:
http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Reel-Tote/product/37514/

case cost: $28 :)

-Dan

marcmccalmont

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 02:19:12 pm »

I really like www.fstopgear.com 

With their ICU system, you really have a lot of flexibility with a very comfortable pack.  For quick and short forays I still use a small lightweight Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW.

ken
+1
Marc
Marc McCalmont

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 03:01:06 pm »

Hi,

I use Gura Gear Kiboko. Can carry a Hasselblad 555ELD, five lenses + a Sony Alpha 99 with 24-70/2.8 and 70-400/4-5.6. Fits in overhead bin of a Canadair Regional Jet and weights just above two kg empty.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

markmullen

• Mark Mullen Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 02:50:21 pm »

I use a Tamrac Expedition 8. It carries a Mamiya 645 AFDii, Canon 5D Mkiii and Technikardan 23, all with lenses attached, plus 3 or 4 spare lenses, dark cloth, filters, batteries etc. The front pouch will take a 17 inch laptop of required. The harnesses are comfortable enough to carry all this gear.

NancyP

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 05:11:49 pm »

Caution: "one size fits all" may or may not fit you. f/stop bags are sized for average male torso length and shoulder straps also standard man's style shoulder straps. I didn't realize this, and the bag didn't carry right on my small female torso, felt fine for short periods of time, but not for day long hike with 35 pound load. I have done some after market modifications, thick closed cell foam shoulder pads to add to the thick foam shoulder straps and take up the slack in the shoulders. I haven't tested the current iteration on a day-long hike with full pack, though. It is well worth the trouble - I didn't see any suitable standard packs, with back or side access packs suitable for camera access, in the REI pack inventory

The f/stop Satori is a great bag design though. Very well made, plenty of loops and Molle strapping, enormous cushy belt, easy to accessorize with water bottles or whatever else you want on the outside of the pack. I made a home-made tripod harness for the midline of the pack, therefore no balance issues.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 05:21:57 pm »

I use a Lowepro Vertex 300 AW and am quite happy with it.
It has a good carrying system, like a hiking backpack, rain cover and lots of space.
Comfortable to carry, even on a longer hike.
I used it to carry a loaned Sinar F with 3 lenses and my big Gitzo Tripod on one occasion.
Recently I had a loaned IQ260 and an Arca Swiss Rm3Di and one lens plus my Tripod and still plenty of space left in it.

http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/vertex-300-aw

Just what I got, I'm sure there are many good solutions out there,
but carrying comfort will play a role when hiking and a rain cover is a good thing to have too.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 04:27:23 pm »

Personally, I don't think anything touches the new GuraGear bags. In particular, their new 18L is biggest/smallest bag I own. I can put my ENTIRE! Nikon D800 system and lenses in it, and it still carries like a small backpack. With my 32L I can carry virtually an entire location lighting kit along with my camera, save for the stands and mods.

The build is exceptional as is their service.

*disclaimer: i know the guys who run Gura, but if their bags weren't my favourites, I'd use something else.

- N.

www.guragear.com
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up