Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Spoof email?  (Read 7316 times)

schrodingerscat

Adobe Spoof email?
« on: October 09, 2013, 12:13:20 pm »

Just got a supposed Adobe email informing me my system has been hacked and need to reset my password. Looks to be your run-of-the-mill spoof. Needless to say I won't be clicking on anything until confirmed.

JeanMichel

Re: Adobe Spoof email?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 12:16:29 pm »

No, this one is real. You did not get hacked, but Adobe has been. Go to the Adobe site to verify it for yourself.
Jean-Michel

schrodingerscat

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 12:23:46 pm »

Yep, just went to the adobe site to confirm. Reset password through their site just to be sure.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 05:42:18 am »

One clue to it being real was that there was no click link to the Adobe site - the URL had to be copied and pasted into your browser (obviously you would ascertain it was genuine before entering anything on it)

But being hacked once is unfortunate. Being hacked twice within a week is sheer carelessness. Doesn't give one much confidence in Adobe, especially at a time when they are trying to persuade us of the merits of their CC service!
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Simon Garrett

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 06:23:37 am »

But being hacked once is unfortunate. Being hacked twice within a week is sheer carelessness. Doesn't give one much confidence in Adobe, especially at a time when they are trying to persuade us of the merits of their CC service!

Is it two hacks, or are they sending reminders about the first hack?

Robert55

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 05:02:10 pm »

After the hack, they sent an e-mail to users whose credit card data might have been stolen to reset the password and change card numbers.

Todays advice to reset the password is a sort of mopping up after the one hack: seems like a sensible thing to do.

Body of the mesage:
We recently discovered that an attacker illegally entered our network and may have obtained access to your Adobe ID and encrypted password. We currently have no indication that there has been unauthorized activity on your account.

Note that there is no mention of credit cards

Simon Garrett

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 05:18:28 pm »

I contacted Adobe today, and they told me there was only one security breach, not two.  However, some people have been emailed more than once, a few days apart. 

rebadurchee

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 12:49:26 am »

I got that email today, too.  Since I didn't have a credit card on file with them I only got the one notice.

KeithR

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 05:41:43 pm »

I received the bogus email and went to the Adobe site to confirm it, which they explained that it was bogus. I'm always suspicous of these things until I check it out and never click on the links. That being said, today(24OCT13) i received, in the snail mail, a letter from Adobe about the security breech. Has anyone else received such a document. Portions of the letter:
"We recently discovered that, between Sep 11 & Sep 17 an unauthorized third party illegally access certain customer order information....."
...we beleive the third party likely removed from our systems certain customer names, payment card experation dates, encrypted payment card numbers, and other information relating to customer orders. In addition, the third party used our systems to decrypt some card numbers."
Note; the italics are mine.
The letter continues that I should monitor my accounts and to enroll "at my opption" in a "complimentary one year credit montoring membership and provided a unique activation code. Again, considering what has happened, I'm cautiously skeptcal. Any comments?
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Steve House

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 06:02:05 pm »

What makes you think the security alert email was bogus?  There was in fact a security breach last month exactly as described in the letter you have and Adobe is in fact offering the year subscription to the credit monitoring service as was offered to you to users whose credit card data might have been in jeopardy.  Far from being bogus, this is a serious risk.  Go back to the Adobe web site and re-read their discussion about it.

KeithR

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 08:28:38 pm »

The "bogus" email I'm refering to was the initial email I received. It looked as if it came from Adobe and asked me to update/confirm my financial information by clicking on the provided link. I was skeptical and didn't think Adobe would request that kind of info via an email. I sent the (unopened) email link to the isp fraud division and asked to verify the address. In short order they responed with the info about Adobe being hacked. Within a day I got the email from Adobe asking me to change my password. There was nothing different in the apperance of the 2nd email(from the 1st one) and again was skeptical. So I went to the Adobe site and here to see if anyone else had the same issue. At about the same time I saw the story on the news as well. So when I received this letter today I asked if anyone else receievd one as well.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:54:13 pm by KeithR »
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience
Pages: [1]   Go Up