Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe CC: any compelling features to make one WANT to upgrade to it?  (Read 25472 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Adobe CC: any compelling features to make one WANT to upgrade to it?
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 04:14:51 pm »

Hi,

The reason I may considering CC is being up to date. The downside is essentially that I see Photoshop as a legacy application. My lifeline is Lightroom, and having Lightroom integration is worth a lot to me.

You could say I see Photoshop as a necessary evil. Both necessary and evil.

Best regards
Erik

I didn't take the time to read the entire thread so please forgive if this repetitive, but one PS CC feature I can no longer live without is using camera raw as a filter.  If you convert the layer to a smart object first it then becomes editable/non-destructive.  Being able to use local adjustments to dodge/burn are much faster and simpler than various layer techniques.

There are new features in ACR that can be useful such as visualize spots and the radial adjustment tool.

I also like the new larger dialog boxes for many of the functions, much more useful.

Regarding the use of Lightroom, it is far more than a DAM, and it's functionality incorporated into a work flow is a tremendous time saver.  Maybe you should give the 30 day trial of a Lightroom a real work out.

$10 a month for a subscription to use such powerful apps as well as have  20 GB of cloud based storage (like dropbox) is great value.

Erik Kaffehr

Manoli

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 04:51:24 pm »

I have found the smart sharpening enhancements really reduces the time I spend applying sharpening to my images ... this new sharpening is very smart and I have not seen any of the halos you can quickly generate using previous versions.

Thanks Chez - that's informative. Of the 'new and improved' features, the one feature that I'm finding compelling is the Smart Object Liquify. Lr is my 'core' application, Ps is principally for pixel editing.

rather than asking others what features are new in CC, just download a full trial version for yourself

(a) I'm already running CS6, Lightroom, both with various plug-ins, 3 RAW converters Iridient, C1Pro & Lr, plus evaluating Ps CC (and others) on a separate machine.
(b) Again, the question was what you find compelling, not what's new. If you need to find out what's new, just follow the link below

https://creative.adobe.com/products/photoshop

Manoli

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 04:54:40 pm »

... having Lightroom integration is worth a lot to me.

+1

daws

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 07:41:09 pm »

...In other words, are there any compelling features that would make a photographer want to upgrade to CC from CS5/6? 

There's nothing in CC that makes me want to upgrade from CS6. I'm happy with Focus Magic's Camera Shake plugin that comes with its convolution sharpener, both of which which serve me well, along with an array of plugins from Topaz Labs and others.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 11:07:00 pm »

Hi,

There are several alternatives for attempting to salvage those isolated cases. You could try DeblurMyimage.

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks Bart, I ordered that plugin. The cost was only 15Euro (about $20), now I have something to experiment with.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2013, 05:36:38 am »

Thanks Bart, I ordered that plugin. The cost was only 15Euro (about $20), now I have something to experiment with.

You're welcome. The Adobe Camera Shake correction probably works reasonably good as well, but if that's the only compelling reason to switch to a subscription model, then alternatives like this will be much cheaper. I'd rather spend my money on better lenses and task dedicated plug-ins, than having to pay indefinitely to enable access to my work-in-progress files.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2013, 01:42:32 pm »

If you need to find out what's new, just follow the link below

https://creative.adobe.com/products/photoshop

If you've only had CSX ‘Standard’ the added ‘Extended’ features might be of interest ?  3D, analysis anyone ?

Following Michael's essay suggesting that we all loosen–up a bit, and in the spirit of poking a bit of fun, I am puzzled about the following features:

•   Real-time image asset generation and Adobe Edge Reflow CC connectivity powered by Adobe Generator – what on earth is this ? (rhetorical question); sounds like you should connect it to your fridge or something

•  Mercury Graphics Engine – messy; will need a bowl under the desk

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2013, 02:30:11 pm »

•   Real-time image asset generation and Adobe Edge Reflow CC connectivity powered by Adobe Generator – what on earth is this ? (rhetorical question)
http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2013/09/introducing-adobe-generator-for-photoshop-cc.html
Not every new feature is aimed at the audience here. For many, this is a feature that will save huge amounts of time and effort (making the subscription a simple choice).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2013, 10:31:46 am »

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2013/09/introducing-adobe-generator-for-photoshop-cc.html
Not every new feature is aimed at the audience here. For many, this is a feature that will save huge amounts of time and effort (making the subscription a simple choice).

What, no good for my fridge ?!

John Rodriguez

• John Rodriguez Photography
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2013, 03:09:37 pm »

Just upgraded.  Stuff I'm excited to test:

- Adobe Camera Raw as a filter
- Radial gradient filter
- Conditional action operators
- Preserve Details resize algorithm.  Interested to see if I notice an improvement at modest enlargement sizes (ie under 100%)
- Improved Smart Sharpen

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2014, 03:07:25 pm »

are there any compelling features that would make a photographer want to upgrade to CC from CS5/6?

Ok, now that CNX2 is officially going to be discontinued I have a little more incentive to look at the CC+LR package.  But I was thinking that as far as CC (2014) only is concerned I would probably not feel the need to upgrade from CS6 unless there were some disruptive (as opposed to incremental) improvements to one or more of the following functions dear to my heart:

1) demosaicing
2) tone distributing functions (e.g. highlights, shadows, tonal contrast)
3) sharpening
4) selection tools
5) content aware tools
6) downsizing/upsizing algorithms
7) all-in-one, raw-editable adjustments-rendered image, efficient file system.

I am sure that I am forgetting others (what other ones would you add?) but alas, I don't see any of those today.  And since CNX2 is not completely dead yet I guess I will wait another year before re-evaluating.

Jack
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:18:23 pm by Jack Hogan »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2014, 07:58:22 am »

Ok, now that CNX2 is officially going to be discontinued
That's not a good way to encourage people to buy your products, simply dropping support for software that people have invested money and more importantly a lot of their time into. Good article here on this daft move by Nikon.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Simon Garrett

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2014, 08:23:56 am »

That's not a good way to encourage people to buy your products, simply dropping support for software that people have invested money and more importantly a lot of their time into. Good article here on this daft move by Nikon.

Nikon, like so many companies (Apple being the obvious exception), are good at hardware but very poor at software. Worse: Nikon are not only bad at software, they're stupid as well.  Their pig-headed approach of neither producing properly-supported raw software nor opening up the format so someone else can do it damages both their users and themselves.  

I've seen a number of companies that lock up their IPR (including interface definitions) for fear that opening it up would be "giving away the family silver".  But if you don't use it yourself, you're getting no value from it.  Give it away, and someone else might benefit - and if it's not your competitors, then so what?  It might benefit your users, which expands your own markets.  

Technology IPR is a perishable commodity with a very short shelf life.  Use it, sell it or even give it away, unless you're sure that givng it away helps your competitors.    Nikon don't want to use it, they almost certainly can't sell it without losing control, but they could give it away while keeping control of the format.  

My money is that Nikon keeps to the lock-it-away policy.  "Just in case."  Idiots!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:04:38 am by Simon Garrett »

rovanpera

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2014, 05:42:50 am »

They have updated highlights/midtone/shadows settings in color range with more controls, so you can easily do exact tonal selections.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2014, 04:05:57 pm »

Nikon, like so many companies (Apple being the obvious exception), are good at hardware but very poor at software. Worse: Nikon are not only bad at software, they're stupid as well.  Their pig-headed approach of neither producing properly-supported raw software nor opening up the format so someone else can do it damages both their users and themselves.  
Hmm, yet Apple have done exactly the same as they have given up on Aperture.
And to repeat what I said about C-NX "That's not a good way to encourage people to buy your products, simply dropping support for software that people have invested money and more importantly a lot of their time into.'
Plus Apple also produce some truly awful software, Finder being the worst example. If I wasn't able to bypass Finder with something useful like PathFinder, I'd flatten OSX and use Windows [and have the benefit of an even better file manager Directory Opus].
Basically I replace nearly all Apple software with something grown up and more functional.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:07:52 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2014, 07:15:52 am »

Quote from: BartvanderWolf on October 09, 2013, 03:35:29 AM

Hi,

There are several alternatives for attempting to salvage those isolated cases. You could try DeblurMyimage.

Cheers,
Bart

I tried DeblurImages, Topaz InFocus, and I also I had an image processed by Photoshop Camera Shake, none of them did anything useful.
Possibly, if there were a very pronounced motion blur in one direction, they would have helped, but in most cases, they don't do much or they apply a very aggressive overall sharpening.  
For forensic analysis, these plugins could make some text or details slightly more readable, but in all other situations they are practically useless.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:49:24 am by LesPalenik »

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 03:13:40 pm »

I guess this isn't too important for photographers, but it you ever want to paint using Photoshop then there is a massive upgrade from CS4 to CS5 (the bristle brushes) and an almost as big upgrade from CS5 to CS6 (the airbrush and erodible tip brush/pencil).  So far no upgrade from CS6 to CC.  For anyone interested in painting digitally using Photoshop, upgrading to CS6 while this is still available would be a really good move!

Robert
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2014, 03:47:39 am »

I guess this isn't too important for photographers, but it you ever want to paint using Photoshop then there is a massive upgrade from CS4 to CS5 (the bristle brushes) and an almost as big upgrade from CS5 to CS6 (the airbrush and erodible tip brush/pencil).  So far no upgrade from CS6 to CC.  For anyone interested in painting digitally using Photoshop, upgrading to CS6 while this is still available would be a really good move!

I agree, Robert, the wet media brushes amazed this jaded Photoshop user.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2014, 09:17:57 pm »

Photoshop CC (2014) contains a few experimental features. Two of these are for Windows users only, Use Touch Gestures and Scale UI 200% for high density displays. The later is the answer to many complaints about tiny icons and text on 4K displays. The third is available to both Mac and Windows, Enable Multitone 3D Printing.

Select Focus Area, new in CC (2014), uses an algorithm that automatically finds the in focus area of your image and automatically makes an adjustable mask.
Gerald J Skrocki

Ann JS

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2014, 04:18:03 pm »

For me it is the little things in each new Upgrade to Photoshop that improve my working-speed, efficiency and comfort which are just as important as newly introduced tools and features.

I have always upgraded immediately and see no point in delaying to do so – particularly now that the subscription price is so reasonable.

ACR and Ps CC 2014 are now faster and more stable than any previous version that I have ever experienced.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up