Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selling paper/printer profiling?  (Read 1859 times)

hugowolf

Selling paper/printer profiling?
« on: October 07, 2013, 08:40:03 pm »

Are there any profiling device/software packages that still allow sales of profiles? I am asked, on a regular basis, whether I can supply this service.

I am looking at maybe ten to a dozen profile requests a year. Given the time involved without an automated target reader, it wouldn’t be a money earner; more of an added service.

Brian A

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Selling paper/printer profiling?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:19:01 am »

ArgyllCMS has no end user agreement and is free open source software.  There is a learning curve as it's a command line program but can be configured in lots of ways.  All of my print profiles are done with it and I've done some profiling for others.  You can sell profiles made with it.  Most spectros are supported.

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 10:12:47 pm »

Thanks Alan, but my days of messing with command line driven apps were over a couple of decades ago. Has no one tried creating a unified graphical interface for ArgyllCMS tools?

I take it that the X-Rite i1 i1iSis and i1iO Scanning Table come with licenses that allow sales, but are way beyond possible cost recovery for me.

Brian A

ThDo

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 03:38:34 am »

As i1Sis and i1iO come without software I don't think there is such licence enhancement for X-Rite products.

But you are allowed to provide profiles undrt certain conditions - see EULA point 2.

You may provide Licensed Profiles to one or more third parties in connection with Your
profiling services provided Your profiling services involve personalized profile-related customer
consultations and are predominantly conducted on-site at a customer location.

Have you looked at other solutions like Colorlogic CoPra or Basiccolor print?
(Acutally I don't know their EULAs but you can ask them)

But is it really a great idea to provide a profiling service without automation?

hugowolf

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 03:32:41 pm »

As i1Sis and i1iO come without software I don't think there is such licence enhancement for X-Rite products.

But you are allowed to provide profiles undrt certain conditions - see EULA point 2.

You may provide Licensed Profiles to one or more third parties in connection with Your
profiling services provided Your profiling services involve personalized profile-related customer
consultations and are predominantly conducted on-site at a customer location.

That might work, although a bit of a hassle.

But is it really a great idea to provide a profiling service without automation?

I think 'service' would be overstating it. I get a few local requests a year. I'd like to say yes.

And as for automation, I know enough starving artists that I would rather keep in beer than pay X-rite for automation.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up