Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which 90mm Lens?  (Read 859 times)

JoeKitchen

Which 90mm Lens?
« on: October 07, 2013, 09:07:51 am »

So I would like to get a longer lens in the my tool box for far away shots and furniture work, but I am unsure of which to buy or save for.  The Schneider 90mm does not interest me, so that is out. This leaves the old vs. new versions of the Roddie 90mm. 

Pluses for the old is that it is cheaper and either fully symmetrical or close to it.  I prefer fully symmetrical lenses because I do not like to worry about distortion.  Also, the flange focal length of the older versions allows for a less complicated mounting on the Arca R system; no extra bulky box needed on the back. 

The newer version I have heard is sharper, however it is retro-focal in design.  This means that their is probably distortion (and not a simple barrel or pin cushion, more like a mustache which you need specific software to remove).  Also, the flange focal length is long enough to require that extra box for the back side of the RM3Di. 

So my questions are, how bad is the distortion on the new lens and is it that much sharper than the older version?  Also, how much sharpness fall off is there on the old version? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Which 90mm Lens?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:49:28 pm »

I have only used the newer HR now HW version and it's excellent.  Large image circle very sharp corner to corner.  Landscape use I did not see too many issues with distortion.  I only was able to use this lens about 2 hours one afternoon.  It's still on my buy list, but I want the newer 120 Schneider first if they ever ship them.  It's not as large as the 40mm but still a pretty good size lens. 

You also might look at the 105mm rodie, older series lens, I have this lens and carry around alot but the focal length is not that often required for me.  The 120 and 90 fit better.  I picked up the 105 used hoping to use it over the 90mm HW.   The 105 is sharp and has a huge image circle I want to say 125mm so it shifts great.  It's a small light weight lens and is the last focal length you can use before having to add the back adapter like on the 120 and 150mm. 

BTW, did you ever make your handles for the rm3di?

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:31:27 pm »

Thanks for the report, Paul.  I am still wondering though what the distortion will be on that new lens.  Does any one know if the distortion graphs have been release yet by Rodenstock?

On the subject of the handles, I have been too busy to carve them.  The blanks are sitting on my dresser though, so maybe this winter.   
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

narikin

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:25:45 pm »

The Schneider 90mm does not interest me, so that is out.

Why? it is an excellent lens, with a decent image circle, plenty enough for decent shift/rise. 
The 90/4.5 is a design classic, see the recent Schneider /Phase One TS lens for the DF? - its the 90/4.5 design... the great Apo Componon enlarging lens: the same 90/4.5 design.  It is also a stop faster than the Rodenstock offerings, and cheaper, and lighter, so.. you must have a good reason to dismiss it. Its an gem imho.

Pluses for the old is that it is cheaper and either fully symmetrical or close to it.  I prefer fully symmetrical lenses because I do not like to worry about distortion.  Also, the flange focal length of the older versions allows for a less complicated mounting on the Arca R system; no extra bulky box needed on the back. 

The newer version I have heard is sharper, however it is retro-focal in design.  This means that their is probably distortion (and not a simple barrel or pin cushion, more like a mustache which you need specific software to remove).  Also, the flange focal length is long enough to require that extra box for the back side of the RM3Di. 

So my questions are, how bad is the distortion on the new lens and is it that much sharper than the older version?  Also, how much sharpness fall off is there on the old version? 

I owned all 3 of these 90mm at the same time 6 months ago and did tests.

The old 90mm Rodenstock is not that good really. a very tired design. Poor edges.
The new 90mm is excellent, really quite amazing edge to edge - probably my sharpest single lens, especially if you use that large image circle. I use it when stitching.
The Schneider 90mm is closer to new 90mm Roddy than the old, but smaller image circle. I take it when traveling.

Pages: [1]   Go Up